FIA to hear BAR device appeal next week
Posted: Monday August 2, 2004 1:53PM; Updated: Monday August 2, 2004 1:53PM
PARIS, Aug 2 (Reuters) -- BAR's appeal over a cornering device they were banned from using at the German Grand Prix last month will be heard by the FIA next week, Formula One's governing body said on Monday.
The software-controlled device would have allowed quicker and smoother cornering but was banned by stewards at Hockenheim when it was found installed on BAR's spare car after Friday practice.
It was a further blow to the Honda-powered team after their top driver Jenson Button had lost 10 places on the starting grid when he was forced to change the engine on his car.
In the event the Briton moved through the field from 13th to finish second behind Ferrari's Michael Schumacher, continuing BAR's excellent season. They are third in the constructors' championship.
A statement released by the International Automobile Federation (FIA) on Monday said the appeal would be heard on August 9 with a decision expected the next day.
Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.