Posted: Monday March 14, 2005 12:06PM; Updated: Monday March 14, 2005 4:10PM
Rooting against Duke's J.J. Redick is one of many reasons people enjoy watching the NCAA tournament.
Most of the year, I tune out college hoops, preferring to concentrate on the pro game. But this time of year, you just can't ignore it. With the college kids tipping it off on Thursday, here are my top 65 reasons to watch the NCAA Tournament.
1. EddieSutton's perpetual scowl.
2. Because Duke center Shelden Williams looks exactly like Mena Suvari.
3. Split-screen action.
4. Kentucky's Patrick Sparks, a gym rat if ever there was one.
5. In case Chris Paul tries to sucker-punch someone else in the jewels.
6. The only overpaid people involved are announcers and coaches.
7. You never know when Georgia Tech's Isma'il Muhammad will try his 540-degree dunk in a game.
8. To catch Utah's Andrew Bogut, who'll probably be the first pick this summer in the NBA Draft.
9. Because parity should make this the most exciting tournament in years.
10. To see which advertisers Bobby Knight pimps on his sweater.
11. Raymond Felton.
12. To see Gonzaga go two and out.
Submit a comment or question for Lang.
13. Illinois coach Bruce Weber, who has defined grace under pressure these last few days.
14. Now that the field is set, no more Joe Lunardi updates.
15. My favorite name in the tourney: Creighton's Nate Funk.
16. The man everyone loves to hate, J.J. Redick.
17. Taylor Coppenrath vs. Hakim Warrick.
18. Washington's Nate Robinson, who's reminiscent of Nate Archibald.
19. Rick "Moltisanti" Pitino, with his smooth suit and slick hair.
20. Louisiana Layfayette, who will scare the life out of Pitino and Louisville in Round One.
21. For Syracuse, who won the Big East Tourney and didn't even cut down the nets. Think they're focused?