SAN DIEGO -- The latest update midway through the first round of the NFL Draft:
1. I think this is all you need to know about Cleveland-San Francisco talks about Alex Smith going from the Bay Area to the Lake Erie area: Because it would have taken an absurd amount of NFL currency to make this happen (such as Cleveland's first-round pick next year plus something else), it's far better the Browns solved their need for a long-term wideout with cold-weather experience in Braylon Edwards and kept the integrity of their future personnel harvest intact. Cleveland knew it had too many needs to bring a good -- but not flawless -- prospect to Cleveland at the expense of building for the future.
2. I think it sure is a nice day here in San Diego. Nice day for the Chargers to pick a defensive end or outside linebacker and a wideout -- in that order. They started with the hybrid rush-man Dallas didn't want -- Maryland's Shawne Merriman. I kept hearing how he was a little stiff. But he sure knows how to blow people up. On the highlights, he hits like a bulked-up Seau.
3. I think Cedric Benson will be a fine cold-weather back. Good fit for the Bears. But to hear him on ESPN bemoan the comparisons to Ricky Williams ... are you kidding me? Cedric, a word of caution: You're going to be compared to Ricky Williams for a very long time, because you're a similar back. This is not racial profiling.
4. I think the Lions have to be kidding. Another wideout? Hey, Mike Williams is obviously a heck of a player. But you're telling me Williams was a better pick for them than the best non-cornerback defensive player in the draft? I think not. Imagine you're Charles Rogers, rehabbing your rear end off from two busted collarbones. You haven't been just slapped in the face. You have been hit with a Mike Tyson roundhouse.
5. I think I really hope, someday, Aaron Rodgers has the last laugh on all the teams that are passing on him.