Carpenter is so important, in fact, that there is one decision that La Russa absolutely cannot afford to screw up in this series. If the Tigers win tomorrow night and the Cardinals head back to Detroit ahead 3-2, La Russa needs to do everything he can to maximize the Cardinals' chances of winning one of those two games. That means making sure that Carpenter is not matched up against Rogers, the only Tiger pitcher who -- pine tar or no -- has shown the ability to dictate the course of the game. If that means saving Carpenter for Game 7, even when he'd be pitching on full rest in Game 6, then that's what La Russa needs to do.
Look at it like this. Suppose that, if Carpenter is matched up against Rogers, the Cardinals have a 50 percent chance of winning Game 6, and a 50 percent chance of winning Game 7. If Carpenter is instead matched up against Nate Robertson in Game 7, the Cardinals have a 75 percent chance of winning that game, but only a 25 percent chance of winning Game 6 (these percentages are somewhat exaggerated for effect).
Do the math -- or trust us to do it for you -- and you'll find that the former arrangement leaves the Tigers with a 25 percent chance of winning the series, while the latter gives them just a 19 percent chance. It must be tempting to for La Russa to pitch Carpetner in Game 6, which would necessarily be a series-clinching game. But it doesn't matter in what order the wins and losses come -- all that matters is that you win one of the two remaining games. The Cardinals maximize their chances to do that by saving Carpenter.
Weather or not
Let's hope that Thursday night's game, which might have been the greatest Game 4 in World Series history, puts to rest this talk about a neutral-site Fall Classic. I'll be the first to admit that the public enthusiasm for this World Series has been a little ... dampened. TV ratings are down, drive-time radio hosts are looking forward to this weekend's NFL schedule, and even the blogosphere seems a little bit less rabid than usual.
But let's not mistake a disinterest in the teams and cities involved in the World Series for the need to tinker with more than a century's worth of history. The average October temperature in St. Louis is 59 degrees, with average monthly rainfall of 2.81 inches. The average October temperature in New York is 58 degrees, with precipitation of 3.39 inches. How do you think New Yorkers -- including my colleagues at NYC-based Sports Illustrated -- would react if baseball decided to move the Yankees' next World Series games to the Tropicana Dome? Would Eckstein's big hits have produced the same euphoria if half the crowd had been clad in Tiger blue?
The only major American professional sport to play its championship at a neutral site is football. But football is a profoundly different game than baseball. The NFL is a television sport designed for a national audience. Baseball, on the other hand, is a local sport that derives a much larger fraction of its revenues from box office receipts. And the potential to see the local team involved in the World Series is a powerful economic driver for home attendance. According to our research in Baseball Between the Numbers, a single postseason appearance results in an extra $30 million in revenues for the team involved. More than that, of course, if the team reaches the World Series.
If baseball is serious about limiting the impact that adverse weather can have on its postseason, there are far less drastic steps it can take:
Develop a clear and unambiguous policy that all postseason games must be played to completion by picking up interrupted games at the next available opportunity. Part of the reason that MLB was reluctant to start Game 4 on Wednesday night in spite of relatively viable weather conditions in the early evening is because nobody was quite sure what would happen if the game were interrupted midway through. Outlining the policy in advance would allow for more aggressive decision-making -- the one thing we learned from the 2002 All-Star game debacle is that Commissioner Selig is not very good at winging it.
Allow the commissioner's office to move the start of the game forward by up to two hours given 24 hours notice, and by up to one hour given 12 hours notice. This will require negotiation with baseball's broadcast partners. But if baseball can complete a labor agreement two months ahead of schedule, then surely it can find ways to satisfy FOX on this issue.
Give the commissioner the power to schedule day-night doubleheaders in the LCS and LDS rounds of the playoffs.
Provide the commissioner's office and the umpiring crew with the joint power to implement "rain rules" prior to the start of any game. "Rain rules" would consist of the following:
-- Between-inning breaks are shortened from 120 sections to the usual 90 seconds. Any missed commercial time would be made up to the sponsor during the next season's All-Star Game.
-- The seventh-inning stretch is limited to two-and-a-half minutes. If you still want to sing God Bless America, by all means go ahead and do so. But none of the Ronan Tynan, seven-minute remix version.
-- Each team is limited to three mound visits over the course of the game that do not result in pitching changes.
-- If more than one pitching change is made in the same inning, the second relief pitcher is limited to three warm-up pitches.
-- The home plate umpire is given broader leeway to award a strike or ball based on excessive delay on the part of the batter or pitcher, respectively, including superfluous pick-off throws.
-- Finally and most importantly, FOX and MLB should jointly pledge to Americans that under no circumstances shall alternative programming during rain delays involve Michael Rapaport.