The intensity picked up last week as NFL coaches, general managers and scouts were all over the nation watching senior hopefuls and eligible underclassmen work out. Several prospects defied expectations while others disappointed.
1. Ernie Sims, LB, Florida State: Sims turned in a tremendous workout on Thursday in Tallahassee. He ran a 4.47 40-yard dash and weighed in at 234 pounds, almost 12 pounds heavier than his playing weight.
2. A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio State: Still living large off tremendous combine and pro-day workouts as well as the great interviews he turned in, Hawk is now rated as the top defensive player on several draft boards.
3. Derrick Martin, CB, Wyoming: The underclassman cornerback turned in much faster times at his pro day than he did at his combine workout. He clocked a 4.40 40, and teams were impressed with his mature attitude, which had been a concern.
4. Jovon Bouknight, WR, Wyoming: Another Wyoming prospect who improved his 40 time. Bouknight ran in the mid-4.5 range and has some believing he is first-day material as a wide receiver/punt returner.
5. Albert Toeaina, OT, Tennessee: After being snubbed by the combine last month, Toeaina had a lot to prove to scouts. Weighing 328 pounds, 10 lighter than his Senior Bowl weight, Toeaina completed 36 reps of 225 pounds on the bench, then ran his 40 in a very fast 4.9 seconds.
6. Charles Gordon, CB, Kansas: The versatile cornerback who also doubles as a wide receiver and return specialist shaved .1 of a second off his combine 40 time (4.55) and looked spectacular during defensive-back drills.
7. Frank Davis, OL, South Florida: A highly rated offensive guard coming into the season, the 326-pound Davis turned some heads last week after completing 36 reps on the bench and recording a vertical jump of just under 30 inches.
8. T.J. Rushing, CB, Stanford: The cornerback/return specialist known for his speed did not disappoint scouts when he ran a 4.37 40 in terribly wet conditions at Stanford. The diminutive Rushing then completed 20 reps on the bench and may have moved from free-agent status to late-round pick.