Posted: Thursday December 21, 2006 11:26AM; Updated: Thursday December 21, 2006 11:44AM
Have a question or opinion for Pete? He might answer/address it in his mailbag.
1. The Nuggets and new guard Allen Iverson had their game Wednesday night canceled by a snowstorm. Well, that's better than a flurry of punches.
2. Now, Iverson says he never actually requested a trade. He was just musing aloud about ditching his cornrows for braids.
3. Northwest Airlines has pulled the December issue of its in-flight magazine because of cover boy Carmelo Anthony's role in the Nuggets-Knicks brawl. Even Anthony had to admire Northwest's quick backpedal.
4. Are you looking forward to the big Holiday Bowl match up between Texas and Cal? If so, you wouldn't be alone -- ESPN's Desmond Howard is right there with you. Alas, Cal is actually playing Texas A&M, not Texas, but that's news to Howard. On Tuesday night, he not only touted Texas-Cal on national TV as the bowl game he most wanted to see, he actually spent about 30 seconds breaking down individual match ups --even musing about the transfer of Longhorns backup QB Jevan Snead to Ole Miss. Well, at least Howard did his homework, if for the wrong assignment. Check out how none of the other commentators bother to stop Howard, or even show the slightest indication they realize he's just spent a half-minute breaking down a game that doesn't even exist. Of course, we can't jump on Howard too hard. In a thread devoted to poking fun at Howard's misstep on a prominent message board for sportswriters, for instance, the former Heisman winner from Michigan was misidentified as Notre Dame's Rocket Ismail for 12 hours and 15 posts. It seems we all make mistakes, but Howard's is more fun to watch.
5.Rocky Balboa opened Wednesday to surprisingly good reviews. There's an inspiring scene late in the movie where Rocky reads the phone book without glasses.
6.Michelle Wie says she will enroll at Stanford next fall. Damn, we took Mt. Holyoke in the office pool.
7. Photos of cheerleaders are nothing new at SI.com, but we believe this is the first slide show of a cheerleader getting conked in the head by a basketball. Check out these shots from the NBC affiliate in Washington, D.C., of what appears to be a high school basketball game. When a player can't reach a high pass, it finds the noggin of a blissfully unaware cheerleader. It's not a video but a 29-shot slide show, which becomes oddly compelling as you click "Next" faster and faster to speed up the slow-motion action. It's like those cards you'd flick through as a kid to make a "cartoon."
8. The son of late New York Giants owner Wellington Mara reportedly tackled an Eagles fan on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange Wednesday after being ribbed about Philly's 36-22 victory. Well, at least someone associated with the Giants can wrap up.
9. A man has been charged with the identity theft of nearly 90 MLB players. Hey, maybe that wasn't the real A-Rod last year.
10.Vote for Rory update: You might recall reading about the write-in All-Star campaign for Canucks journeyman defender Rory Fitzpatrickin the 10 Spot or the column of SI.com's Allan Muir. Well, the viral Internet effort started by Sabres fan Steve Schmid (Fitzpatrick is a native of Rochester, N.Y.) at VoteForRory.com is paying off. In the latest voting results released on Wednesday, Fitzpatrick has rocketed to second place among Western Conference defensemen despite not even being on the official ballot. If he remains in the top two when voting ends on Jan. 2, Fitzpatrick will be a real All-Star. It won't be because of his stats; he has no points in 19 games this season and only recently returned from missing a month with a broken bone in his ankle. But if you want to reward this veteran plugger, you can vote online at nhl.com.