Cheerleader of the Week
20 Questions with Minnesota's Kristina Hefty
Posted: Thursday March 29, 2007 11:53AM; Updated: Thursday March 29, 2007 1:11PM
Birthdate: June 9, 1986
1. In 10 years, I'll likely be: I'll still see myself as a personal trainer. I'll see myself as a college graduate, hopefully with my masters at that point. I'll probably have a family, so I'll probably see myself as a wife or a mother or whatever it may be.
2. Why I love the University of Minnesota: This is a question I get all the time because I'm from Madison. People say "Why didn't you go to Madison?" I love Minnesota because it's sort of its own community. It's a Big Ten school. I don't know, just the atmosphere here. And I kind of wanted to get a little bit away from home, away from my friends and meet some new people.
3. Movies I can't live without: Home Alone, for sure. I would say any Will Ferrell movie, any funny movie.
4. Music I can't live without: I love country music. There's no particular songs, just all country music in general is good. I know a lot of people don't like it.
5. TV shows I can't live without: That 70's Show. Probably just that one. I don't get a lot of time to watch TV.
6. One misconception about cheerleaders: There's a lot of misconceptions about cheerleaders. In general, just sort of that a lot of us are just ditzy, or airheads. And we're not. All of us are very intelligent; a lot of us are above a 3.0 in college and got into a Big Ten school.
7. My favorite sport is: Hockey.
8. My favorite teams are: Gopher hockey, obviously, and the Green Bay Packers.
9. I like to spend my weekends: The free time that I actually get on weekends, I like to just kind of relax and most of my weekends are spent cheering.
10. Strange and unusual fact about me: I sang the national anthem at the Gophers-Penn State football game in front of, I don't know, total that day was like 42,000 (people in attendance). I sing the national anthem all the time, so it's kind of unusual because not a lot of people do that. I've sang it at the Gophers' game, the state (high school) wrestling finals for Wisconsin my senior year of high school, I sang it at almost all of the sporting events at my high school. I'd really like to sing the national anthem at a hockey game sometime, but they keep telling me that no one sings there. Maybe next year at the (Western Collegiate Hockey Association) Final Five or something.
11. My friends would be surprised to know that I: Maybe that I actually miss home because I don't ever go home and so a lot of them might think that I just never want to go home but I just can't.
12. If I Had More time I Would: I would take naps if I had more time. I don't ever get to take naps and I never really sleep, so probably that or maybe take up something new. A new sport or quilting.
13. Favorite Foods: Fruit and Campus Pizza (a popular pizza place right off campus).
14. Five People I'd Like To Have Dinner With (Living or Dead): My friend Amy (who was killed in a car accident during my freshman year), Abraham Lincoln, Princess Diana, Jesus Christ and Don Lucia (the Gophers' men's hockey coach).
15. Favorite Activity: I really like running. I did the Twin Cities Marathon in the fall and I'm doing another marathon in the spring.
16. Next Risk I Want To Take: This is really random, but I really want to run an Ironman someday. So the next big risk I want to take would be, I'm just going to sign up for it and make myself train for it. That would be a big risk for me, I think, to expect myself to train for that. I'm not a big risk taker.
17. Every Woman Should Have: A huge purse. You can carry your life around in it like I do.
18. Places I Want To Visit and Why: I would really like to go to Australia just because it's really far away. I've never really been out of the country -- just across the border into Mexico and just across the border into Canada.
19. Typical Day: The alarm goes off at, usually around 5 a.m. Get up, take a quick shower, go off to work (as a personal trainer at the University's Recreation Center), work in the morning, go to class. Work some more. I work 25-30 hours a week and then do cheerleading . Do conditioning with the cheerleaders. I sort of put on the conditioning.
20. Perfect Date: Relaxing -- it would be at home. Someone would cook dinner for me and just relax. Sit back on the couch and watch a movie. Pretty low-key, because everything else in my life is very fast-paced.