Cheerleader of the Week
20 Questions with Oregon's Valorie Darling
Posted: Thursday April 26, 2007 11:27AM; Updated: Friday April 27, 2007 5:35PM
Name: Valorie Darling
1. In 10 years, I'll likely be: Married with a great career and beginning to start a family. I also want to continue to do charitable work in my community.
2. Why I love (Oregon): UO is a liberal community that has the most beautiful campus with friendly, down to earth students that put an importance on being environmentally conscious. It is also known for having an innovative athletic program and being home to iconic track star, Steve Prefontaine. I love being part of something so incredible and having the opportunity to cheer in front of Autzen Stadium's 60,000 screaming fans, "The Pit" of Mac court and experiencing the legendary Hayward Field.
3. Movies I can't live without: Goonies, Walk the Line, Dumb and Dumber, I Am Sam, and Wedding Crashers.
4. Music I can't live without: The Fray, Jack Johnson, and any country.
5. TV shows I can't live without: Grey's Anatomy and Friends.
6. One misconception about cheerleaders: That we are not a sport! Cheerleading is more than cute girls and big hair. Our sport incorporates gymnastics, dance, and acrobatics. Our "daily triples" are extremely intense and our season lasts all year long. We cheer for football, volleyball, basketball and wrestling, as well as having our own national competition in February and attending several community & charitable events.
7. My favorite sport is: Football (to watch); Wakeboarding (to do).
8. My favorite teams are: The Ducks of course!! I also grew up loving the 49ers and Giants because I lived in San Francisco when I was younger.
9. I like to spend my weekends: Hanging out with my friends and catching up on errands. I'm obsessed with making "to do" lists.
10. Strange and unusual fact about me: I like my french fries extra crispy.
11. My friends would be surprised to know that I: Love to go camping, fishing, and be away from my daily routine if I get the chance. (The reason they wouldn't know this is because I rarely get the opportunity) It's easy to get caught up in the fast lane and there's nothing better than nature to bring stillness back into your life.
12. If I Had More Time I Would: Take a nap!
13. Favorite Foods: Thai food and gelato ice cream, but definitely not together!
14. Five People I'd Like To Have Dinner With (Living or Dead): Audrey Hepburn, Reese Witherspoon, Kelly Ripa, Ryan Reynolds & Justin Timberlake.
15. Favorite Activity: Scrap booking, traveling, decorating, and spending time with friends and family.
16. Next Risk I Want To Take: I love to take risks and do things that push me to the limits and scare me! For my 21st birthday I went skydiving and last year I ran the San Francisco marathon. The next risk I'm going to take is moving to Los Angeles to pursue acting and dancing.
17. Every Woman Should Have: A man in her life that treats her like a queen! Lucky for me I have two; my boyfriend and my puppy, Achilles!
18. Places I Want To Visit And Why: One of my best friends and I are backpacking through Europe this summer and we are going to go all over, but we want to spend more time in Italy, Spain and Greece. I also would eventually love to go to Thailand, Africa, and Australia.
19. Typical Day: School in the morning, work (Dutch Bros. Coffee) in the afternoon, cheer practice in the evening. Then make dinner, do homework and relax.
20. Perfect Date: I love to be surprised! My favorite thing is to take day trips and do outdoor activities, but don't forget the food!