Posted: Monday January 22, 2007 1:41PM; Updated: Monday January 22, 2007 1:41PM
6. European keepers are a mess. During the Arsenal/Manchester United match Sunday morning, once Man United built a 1-0 lead, United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar went into serious time-killing mode. Despite whistles from the Arsenal crowd, van der Sar displayed several new and creative ways to let the clock tick. Suddenly, karma struck as Arsenal scored not one but two late goals to take a 2-1 lead. Van der Sar then went into turbo mode, while Arsenal goalie Jens Lehman, who himself has a rich history of flopping and provoking, hit the pitch, pretending he had an injured foot. Hilarious television from England.
7. But not quite as funny as Extras. HBO's painfully funny show is into its second season, and the series written by and starring Ricky Gervais and Steven Merchant ups the squirm factor each week. Are you having a laugh? Just wish they could fit Karl Pilkington on there.
8. As much as I travel, I try my best not to remember not to bring liquids on planes. Also, I try not to bring any "dark particulates" on board. Finally, I never try to bring anything that smells like marijuana on the plane. Mike Vick, the quarterback for my Atlanta Falcons, managed to do all three last week. For a few days, everyone was certain he'd tried to carry pot on a plane, and this caused writers to demand Vick be traded and "fans" to call him a tattooed thug.
Now it turns out it wasn't marijuana or anything illegal. I just wonder if all those who rushed to judgment will be willing to give Vick another chance. Or were they just waiting for an excuse to get rid of him from the start? (And what the heck was in that water bottle?)
9. There is something purely and uniquely American about the sight of Carmen Electra biting into a Taco Bell "grilled stuft burrito."
10. Finally, fired Falcons head coach Jim Mora was hired by the Seattle Seahawks to become their secondary coach. Last season the Falcons' secondary allowed an average of 229.3 passing yards per game, fourth-worst in the entire NFL. Only in pro sports kids, only in pro sports.
Lang Whitaker is the online editor of SLAM magazine and writes daily at SLAMonline.com.