Posted: Monday February 26, 2007 10:16AM; Updated: Monday February 26, 2007 10:16AM
1. It turns out that the Galaxy will only be paying David Beckham about $27.5 million in salary over five years, a far cry from the $250 million figure that was widely circulated. Surely, this is the first that Beckham's value has been overestimated.
2. When the Browns beat the Bucs in a Friday coin flip for the No. 3 pick in April's NFL draft, it almost certainly cost wide receiver Calvin Johnson (whom the Bucs covet) millions of dollars. It's believed to be the most anybody has lost on a coin flip since Janet Gretzky.
3. Barry Bonds' lawyer says that the player would like to cooperate with baseball's steroids investigation, but that he can't because he is also the subject of a potential perjury indictment. As soon as that's out of the way, though, he'd be happy to lie to baseball authorities too.
4. Survivor update: No, not the reality show, but Olympic wrestler Rulon Gardner's latest stare-down of mortality. This is not a guy you want to pick in a death pool because he is apparently indestructible. On Sunday, Gardner and two other men were rescued near Good Hope Bay in Utah after surviving a plane crash, swimming for an hour in 44-degree water and surviving a night on an island without food or water. You might recall that Gardner was hit by a car while riding a motorcycle in 2004 and, most notably, nearly died (and lost a toe to frostbite) after he was stranded in the Wyoming wilderness while snowmobiling in 2002. I wrote a story for SI about the latter incident and had the "pleasure" of looking on while the dressings on Gardner's feet were changed, complete with a procedure to slough off the dead skin. His toe, the middle one on his right foot if I recall correctly, hadn't yet been removed and was pitch-black, as were the tips of several other toes. Not for the faint of heart. Gardner later kept the amputated toe in a jar in his freezer. The guy is a sportswriter's dream; his life is one amazing drama after another and he's a genuinely nice guy to boot. But I wouldn't want to join him on any form of transportation.
5. Quick Oscars question: Who looks older, Helen Mirren or Greg Oden?
6. Lakers forward Vladimir Radmanovic has admitted that he separated his shoulder while snowboarding and not by slipping on the ice as he originally told the team. Well, at least that's better than the prevailing rumor -- that he hurt himself washing Jeff Kent's truck.
7. Former heavyweight champ Lennox Lewis has denied reports that he's planning a comeback. This being boxing, of course, we'll believe it when we don't see it.
8. Notre Dame safety/boxer Tom Zbikowski will make his second pro fight this March in South Bend. Let's hope they don't put the Fightin' Irish defender in the ring with a wide receiver; he'll never catch him.
9. Golfer Fuzzy Zoeller is suing to try to identify the person who posted something nasty about him on Wikipedia. Come on, Tiger, was that you?
10. Sunday's Nextel Cup race at California Speedway was the circuit's first with unleaded fuel. Usually, of course, the drivers use jet fuel.