Inside the NFL (cont.)
Posted: Wednesday January 31, 2007 4:19PM; Updated: Wednesday January 31, 2007 10:50PM
Five Things I Think I Think
1. I think I would not be surprised to see Cowboys owner Jerry Jones hold his coaching vacancy until after Super Sunday. Why not? Who knows if a key assistant like Ron Rivera of Chicago or Jim Caldwell of Indianapolis floats his boat by Monday. When you're the only game in town, there's no reason to rush this. I still believe Norv Turner is the favorite in the clubhouse, even though Jones did have his head turned by extreme power-of-positive-thinking guy Mike Singletary, whom Jones interviewed for eight hours on Tuesday.
2. I think there is no more beautiful setting I've seen for a Super Bowl team hotel than the Colts' place on the Atlantic Ocean at the Eastern tip of Ft. Lauderdale. It is incongruous to think that players can get jacked up for the biggest game of their lives with the calming sound of pounding surf lullabying them to sleep every night.
3. I think if you want to talk X's and O's for a minute, the Chicago Bears are going to put the ball in the hands of Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson at least 40 times on Sunday. I think Chicago's goal is do everything humanly possible to limit Peyton Manning's possessions to six.
4. I think Dallas Clark looks like Mike Ditka at the same age. He's almost chiseled from the neck up and has the kind of on-field expression that says don't mess with me, dude. Good guy, too, which makes his postseason emergence so gratifying.
5. I think Robbie Gould, a former Adam Vinatieri understudy, has made a nice niche for himself. The Bears wouldn't trade their kicker for anybody right now.