Quick Slants (cont.)
BYU: LESS QUALIFIED THAN SARAH PALIN
Fact: BYU isn't slated to play its first opponent with a top 25 ranking or a winning record until October 16th!
Fact: BYU's first four wins came against unranked titans Northern Iowa, Washington, UCLA and Wyoming!
Fact: BYU is ranked seventh in the most recent USA Today poll!
Ah yes, here's the beauty of college football, and specifically the magic of
GET OFF THE FENCE: 10 QUESTIONS THAT COULD IMPACT YOUR FALL
1. More surprising season: Vanderbilt or Clemson?
2. Better conference: Big East or Pac-10?
3. Better Fox show: Prison Break or House?
4. Better Clausen hair: Long or Short?
5. More underrated exercise: Push-ups or Pull-ups?
6. Better Nintendo character: King Boo or Toad?
7. Better stadium novelty: Everyone wearing the same color or The Wave?
8. More frustrating video game: Super Mario Bros. 2 or Burger Time?
9. Hotter Friday Night Lights actress: Adrienne Palicki or Minka Kelly?
10. More overrated top 10 team: Texas or Texas Tech?
REVERSE THE CURSE: INGENIOUS E-MAIL OF THE WEEK
From reader David, in response to last week's banter about the Oregon Quarterback Curse:
"I think you should put Oregon quarterbacks on the Sports Illustrated cover! Maybe combining the two curses would actually break them both! Just a thought."
That's an interesting theory you've got there, David. Trying to curse a curse. My fear, though, is that a marraige between such fierce occult forces would only create a more powerful hex in the college football community. It would be like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters -- we'd potentially risk setting the Oregon Quarterback Curse loose and have to watch it destroy the knees of all Sports Illustrated's cover men and women, regardless of college affiliation. The legal department would never go for it.
Ty Hildenbrandt writes Quick Slants every Wednesday. Check out his podcast at SolidVerbal.com or drop him an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More SI On Campus