Quick Slants (cont.)
GET OFF THE FENCE: 10 RANDOM QUESTIONS THAT COULD IMPACT YOUR FALL
1. Unhealthier drink: Red Bull or Vodka?
2. Better football turf: Natural grass or FieldTurf?
3. Better free e-mail provider: Yahoo! or Gmail?
4. Weaker conference: Pac-10 or Big Ten?
5. More likeable '80s toy: Army Ants or My Buddy?
6. Better stadium nickname: The Horseshoe or The Swamp?
7. Better fad diet: NutraSystem or The Morning Banana Diet?
8. Better Vick brother: Michael or Marcus?
9. Better Missouri adjective: Overhyped or Overrated?
10. Likelier World Series champ: Phillies or Rays?
NO AVERAGE JOE: ANGRY JOE PATERNO E-MAIL OF THE WEEK
We all knew they were coming...
Some Nittany Lions supporters met my comments last week (which implied Penn State should retain Joe Paterno next season but announce a succession plan) with much malign. Angry alum Foster was more outraged than most, though:
I graduated from Penn State in 2004, the same year as you did. Your noise about JoePa is tired. Sure, I hated that the four years I was at Penn State, we only went to one bowl game and lost it (because Joe was out-coached by Tommy Tuberville and [Zach] Mills was awful). I got over it, though. The fact that you can't is pretty sad and tragic ... but mostly lame. Your ton of respect [for Paterno] would seemingly conflict with your sorely misguided advocacy of his ouster. What's bordering on denial is your unwillingness to admit your vendetta against JoePa.
Great point, Foster. And for your next trick, I'd appreciate it if you could show me where I called for Paterno's ousting. Last I checked, I hadn't organized an angry alumni coup, but had merely pointed out the obvious: Paterno's not the same coach he once was and Penn State would be prudent to announce some sort of succession plan ... or at least acknowledge it isn't staking its future on the waters from a fountain of youth.
THREE IRON-CLAD LOCKS OF THE WEEK
Last week's dreadful 0-3 showing should convince us all it's unwise to wager hard-earned cash on 18-22 year old males playing a contact sport. Onto this week...
Penn State (-2) at Ohio State
Oregon (-4) at Arizona State
Texas Tech (+2) at Kansas
Last week: 0-3
More SI On Campus