Quick Slants (cont.)
FINDING A BOWL BID IS A LOT EASIER WHEN YOU JUST HOST YOUR OWN BOWL
Is there any sneakier ploy in college football than the one Hawaii football has managed by attending a Hawaii-based bowl game in 19 of the last 21 times it's gone to a bowl? I understand that Hawaii draws a hometown crowd, but that's almost 20 extra home games since 1936. How is this fair? Next to Keith Jackson's gift-laden "retirement tour" (wink, wink) of 1998, is there another more underrated scheme in the history of college football? Just wondering.
That aside, the suits behind the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl hit a homerun by not only inviting Notre Dame, but also convincing the Irish to accept! Apparently, the Irish are in a different spot these days than in 1996, when the administration treated an invite to a "lesser" bowl like banishment to the Land of Misfit Toys. Quite frankly, the present day Irish just need to find a game they can win.
GET OFF THE FENCE: 10 QUESTIONS THAT COULD IMPACT YOUR EGG NOG
1. More deserving Heisman winner: Bradford or Tebow?
2. More accurate Blackberry Storm quip: Better than iPhone or worse than iPhone?
3. Sneakier BCS underdog: Utah or Penn State?
4. More enchanting moon phase: Waxing crescent or waning gibbous?
5. Smarter Colt McCoy decision: Stay at Texas or go pro?
6. Better computer-enhanced vocalist: Britney Spears or Kanye West?
7. Likelier Turner Gill destination: Syracuse or Auburn?
8. Better late night food stop: Taco Bell or Wendy's?
9. Better cheerleading job: Male cheerleader or mascot?
10. Catchier fight song: Tennessee or Michigan?
CRIMSON SNIDE: ANGRY E-MAIL OF THE WEEK
Alabama fans did not take kindly to my assertion last week that their team had played a weak schedule and would lose to Florida in the SEC Championship game. Well, golly gee Wilikers, I hate to say I told you so, but ... yeah.
Below is my favorite e-mail of the week, from an individual named "Mad Hatter," who may or may not be the actual character from Alice in Wonderland. Regardless, the author was probably hopped up on the same stuff as Lewis Carroll when he sent this out:
Your obviously the biggest ******bag I have ever seen, and after this Saturday, don't blame me if I laugh at you with my ***. There is a reason you were 0-3 last week, and 10-11 on the season. I'm really curious to know if they pay you for writing. I really would like to make some extra money, and you can bet that I will be 10 times better than you. Moron!!!
You know, I could easily gloat about calling the Alabama loss or going 3-0 on my picks last week. But instead, I think I'll be a little more gracious. Yup, enjoy the Sugar Bowl.
Ty Hildenbrandt writes Quick Slants every week and is working on a permanent ban from the states of Georgia and Alabama. Drop him a line at email@example.com and check out his podcast at SolidVerbal.com.
More SI On Campus