Boras tells Dodgers Manny will accept $45M deal without deferrals
Interestingly, that appears to be the same offer L.A. recently made to Ramirez
However, L.A.'s offer included deferrals that could lessen the true value of the deal
The Dodgers have not yet responded to Boras
Agent Scott Boras has told the Los Angeles Dodgers that Manny Ramirez is willing to return to the team for $45 million over two years, with $25 million in 2009 and a player option for $20 million in 2010.
At first glance that appears to be the same offer the Dodgers recently made to Ramirez. However, the Dodgers' offer included deferrals that could lessen the true value of the deal by perhaps $3 million.
The Dodgers have not yet responded to Boras' proposal.
The Dodgers' $45 million offer to Ramirez became very public earlier this week. What was unsaid by the Dodgers about the offer was that it was to be paid out over five years with no interest, making the actual value an estimated $42 million. In the Dodgers' proposal, L.A. would pay Ramirez $10 million in each of the next four years and $5 million in 2013.
Boras called Dodgers GM Ned Colletti upon seeing Dodgers officials quoted as saying that the Dodgers had offered $45 million over two years with no mention of deferred money and told Colletti that Ramirez would accept the exact deal quoted in the media. Boras sent the Dodgers a letter of agreement signifying an acceptance of that presumed offer.
Late Thursday night the Dodgers sent an e-mail to the media suggesting they were "starting from scratch" after Boras and Ramirez didn't accept the Dodgers' deferred-money offer.
The Dodgers originally told Boras that Ramirez had until noon PT on Friday to accept the proposal. But L.A.'s e-mail to the media made no mention of the deadline and makes it clear that that they still want to sign Ramirez. At this point, it appears the sides are only differing over the deferred money.
"We've been negotiating in good faith the last 10 days," Boras said. "We've made three proposals. They rejected the first two, and last night we made a third proposal."
In mentioning the "third proposal," Boras is apparently referring to the $45 million, two-year deal, without deferrals.
The Los Angeles Times first reported that the Dodgers' offer contained $25 million in deferred money at no interest.
MLB Truth & Rumors