Harangody to return to Notre Dame
Notre Dame forward Luke Harangody will pull out of the NBA draft
He pleasantly surprised many NBA teams with his athleticism and shooting
Notre Dame forward Luke Harangody has opted to pull his name out of the NBA Draft pool and return to school for his senior season, his father, Dave, told SI.com.
Harangody vacillated on his decision up until Monday afternoon, gathering late information from a multi-team workout conducted on Sunday in New Jersey. Despite receiving quality feedback from NBA teams -- league sources had been pleasantly surprised with Harangody's athleticism and shooting range -- the lack of a first-round guarantee was a major factor in his decision, as was the opportunity to get the Fighting Irish back to the NCAA tournament after missing the dance last season.
"Luke has some unfinished business in South Bend," Dave Harangody said. "Making this decision took a huge weight off his shoulders, and this lets him go back and have another year with his friends at Notre Dame."
Harangody averaged 23.3 points and 11.8 rebounds as a junior for the Fighting Irish, who went 21-15 and were relegated to the NIT. With Harangody back in the fold -- as well as point guard Tory Jackson returning, and transfers Scott Martin and Ben Hansbrough becoming eligible -- Notre Dame will have a strong chance to finish in the upper tier of the Big East in 2009-10.
More College Basketball
College Basketball Truth & Rumors