Mets settle case with Rodriguez
Francisco Rodriguez will lose just over $3.14 million in salary this year
The Mets agreed to stop trying to convert his contract to non-guaranteed
Rodriguez tore a thumb ligament punching his girlfriend's father at Citi Field
Rodriguez settled his grievance with the team Tuesday and once again apologized for his actions. Under the agreement between Major League Baseball and the players' association, reached with the approval of the pitcher and the team, the Mets stopped trying to convert the remainder of his contract to non-guaranteed.
Rodriguez tore a ligament in the thumb of his pitching hand while punching his girlfriend's father outside a family lounge at Citi Field on Aug. 11. Essentially, the discipline came to 50 days without pay, or $3,142,076 of his $11.5 million salary for 2010.
Rodriguez remains under contract to the Mets, who owe $11.5 million to the 28-year-old right-hander next year and hold a $17.5 million option for 2012 with a $3.5 million buyout.
"I deeply regret the incident," Rodriguez said in a statement released by the players' association. "I have worked hard since the incident to make myself a better person and member of this organization. I have been participating in an anger-management program since August, and I will continue in the program for the foreseeable future. I feel that anger-management counseling is undoubtedly making me a better person and a better father, and will make me a better teammate."
A four-time All-Star, Rodriguez said he instructed the union not to pursue the grievance, which had been scheduled to be heard this week by arbitrator Shyam Das. He apologized to owner Fred Wilpon, team president Saul Katz and chief operating office Jeff Wilpon, the owner's son.
"I am responsible for my injury that occurred as a result of this incident," Rodriguez said. "I do not feel that it is right for me to take a salary for the period of time in which I could not contribute as a player as a result of my off-field actions."
Rodriguez was arrested and charged with third-degree assault and second-degree harassment following the fight. On Sept. 22 he was charged with seven counts of criminal contempt for sending his girlfriend dozens of text messages begging for forgiveness, violating a restraining order issued after his arrest.
"I have instructed my attorneys to work toward amicably resolving the other legal matters resulting from this incident," Rodriguez said. "I want my focus to be on my family, my team and being the best closer in baseball in 2011."
Instead of making the $100,000 annual charitable contribution to the New York Mets Foundation, as specified in his contract, Rodriguez said he will give the money to New York metropolitan area charities that further the purposes of the New York Mets Foundation.
"We are pleased that Frankie Rodriguez has accepted responsibility for his actions and their consequences," Jeff Wilpon said in a statement. "We have been assured that he is taking steps to address the issues that led to the incident, and that those efforts will continue. We have also been assured that he will work hard both on and off the field to regain the trust of the organization, Mets fans and the community."
Copyright 2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Ducks fend off Blackhawks for shootout victory
Hurricanes stage surprising rally against Sharks