Henry denies Red Sox are for sale
NEW YORK (SI.com) -- Red Sox owner John Henry denied a report Thursday morning that the franchise could be for sale.
The report, from Fox Business' Charlie Gasparino, said "owners of the Boston Red Sox are mulling a potential sale of the storied baseball franchise, and have even begun quietly shopping the team to potential buyers."
In an emailed response to SI.com's Tom Verducci that was also sent to other media members, Henry said, "Tom [Werner] and I speak 7 days a week. A sale of any kind is so far from out thinking that it hasn't even come up apart from the technical planning issues involving death or disability. This report is completely without foundation. Regarding unnamed sources -- any sale discussions that may have taken place were missing three key people -- Larry [Lucchino], Tom and me. The Sox and any of the other components of FSG are not for sale and will not be for the forseeable future."
Henry is the team's principal owner, Werner is chairman and Lucchino is the president and CEO. FSG is the Fenway Sports Group, which also owns Liverpool Football Club, a soccer team in the English Premier League.
Boston has undergone a drama-filled season and is in last place in the American League East with a 64-79 record, on pace for its first losing season in 15 years.
Ryan Miller Helps lead Blues to 2-1 win over Avalanche
Reilly Smith scores in seventh round of shootout to give Bruins win over Lightning