• Get the Blackhawks Championship Package
    Get the Blackhawks Championship Package
  • Give the Gift of SI
    Give the Gift of SI
Posted: Tuesday October 16, 2012 10:04AM ; Updated: Tuesday October 16, 2012 6:28PM

NHL makes new CBA proposal

Story Highlights

The offer is a 50-50 reveue split for six years with protection for existing contracts

The NHLPA requested time to study it, but a full 82-game season could start Nov. 2

NHLPA leader Donald Fehr said his initial sense was the offer is an improvement

Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
Gary Bettman
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and the team owners have put the proverbial ball in the players' court with a new CBA offer.
Bruce Bennett/Getty Images
NHL CBA Talks 2012
Features And Analysis

TORONTO (AP) The stalled talks between the NHL and the players' association finally got a jumpstart.

After watching 34 days pass without a new proposal being offered from either side in negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement, Commissioner Gary Bettman made a new offer to the NHLPA that proposes a 50-50 split of hockey-related revenue and a full 82-game season starting Nov. 2.

As talks resumed for the first time since last week between the league and the union, Bettman proudly announced the offer, which is crafted for - if nothing else - a quick response from the head of the players' association, Donald Fehr, followed by some serious negotiations either here or in New York.

"It was done," Bettman said, "in the spirit of getting a deal done."

Fehr told reporters that the proposal is for six years. Bettman did not confirm that number.

"Our hope," he said, "after we review this is that there will be a feeling on the players' side that this will be a proposal from which we can negotiate and try and reach a conclusion."

When asked if the new proposal was an improvement over previous offers made by the NHL, Fehr said: "In some respects I think it is. In other respects, I'm not sure. We have to look at it."

The NHL locked out its players on Sept. 15, and the regular season was scheduled to begin on Oct. 11. A Nov. 2 start date would extend the season well into June, but would preserve some of the marquee events, such as the Jan. 1 Winter Classic in Michigan.

"I don't want to get into the substance other than to say we believe that this was a fair offer for a long-term deal, and it's one that we hope gets a positive reaction," Bettman said. "We have about nine or ten days to get this all put to bed, signed, sealed and delivered, in order for this offer to be effective and for us to move forward."

Bettman said the long-term deal takes steps to guarantee the players will get full value from their existing deals. And in order to pull off the logistics of the schedule, each team would have one additional game every five weeks in order to get a full season in.

"Gary indicated to me and I assume he indicated to you that they would like to get a full 82-game season in," Fehr said. "We, of course, share that view and would like to get a full 82-game season in. But, we are not in a position to make any comments about it beyond that at this point."

All teams would also hold a makeshift training camp, lasting approximately one week. Veteran players who signed contracts overseas would need to scramble back to their team headquarters, as will the younger players who are working in the minor leagues, like the AHL, this month.

It is clearly the best offer - or counteroffer, for that matter - that has been made in the months of negotiations since last season ended in June. And the proposal is now in the hands of Fehr and his team of executives, who acknowledged that the proposal was stronger than the previous ones the union had received.

"We're going to be on-call to them. They have some work to do internally. Obviously, we didn't put this proposal, this offer, together overnight, and they're going to need a little time to review it," Bettman said. "I'm hoping that review will get us to a positive and constructive place."

To that end, the union has formally requested time to look the proposal over.

"We're focused on getting the puck dropped on Nov. 2 and playing a full 82-game regular season and full playoffs," Bettman said. "That's what this offer is all about."

This is the third lockout under Bettman's watch, but unlike the previous two, dialogue has remained steady. The two sides last met last week in New York.

"We've given it," Bettman said, "our best shot."

And at the least, Fehr is encouraged.

"I would like to believe that it will be an excellent starting point," he said. "And we can go forward and see if there is a deal to be made."

Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

 
SI.com
Hot Topics: NBA Draft Yasiel Puig NHL Playoffs NBA Playoffs Mark Cuban Jabari Parker
TM & © 2014 Time Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you. Read our privacy guidelines, your California privacy rights, and ad choices.
SI CoverRead All ArticlesBuy Cover Reprint