Posted: Friday March 1, 2013 3:09 PM

Cano says contract status not a distraction

Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano says his contract status is on his mind, though not a distraction.

Cano is due $15 million in the final season of what became a $57 million, six-year deal and is eligible for free agency after the World Series.

He hit .313 with 33 homers and 94 RBIs last year but was 3 for 40 (.075) with no homers and four RBIs during the playoffs, including a postseason-record 0-for-29 skid.

Cano plans to leave Yankees' camp this weekend to join the Dominican Republic's World Baseball Classic team, which plays the Yankees in an exhibition game Wednesday. It will mark the first time Cano will be play against the team that signed him as a free agent in January 2001.

 
SI.com
Hot Topics: NBA Playoffs NHL Playoffs Chris Johnson Jameis Winston NFL Draft Michael Sam Aldon Smith
TM & © 2014 Time Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you. Read our privacy guidelines, your California privacy rights, and ad choices.
SI CoverRead All ArticlesBuy Cover Reprint