Posted: Saturday August 17, 2013 2:08 PM

Conn. tennis tournament makes changes to stadium

Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) - The New Haven Open is closing the upper bowl at the Connecticut Tennis Center for this year's tournament amid dwindling attendance numbers.

Tournament directory Anne Worcester says the idea is to create a more intimate atmosphere and make the stadium seem less empty than in has in recent years.

She says she hopes fewer available tickets will result in more advanced sales.

About 53,000 fans attended last year's tournament, down from crowds that once hovered close to 90,000 to see the final hard-court event before the U.S. Open.

The WTA tournament - which begins Sunday and runs through the week - is in its final year of a three-year deal with its major sponsors, including Yale.

This year's event features four of the top-10 players in the world.

 
SI.com
Hot Topics: NBA Draft Yasiel Puig NHL Playoffs NBA Playoffs Mark Cuban Jabari Parker
TM & © 2014 Time Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you. Read our privacy guidelines, your California privacy rights, and ad choices.
SI CoverRead All ArticlesBuy Cover Reprint