Extra MustardSI On CampusFantasyPhoto GalleriesSwimsuitVideoFanNationSI KidsTNT
Updated: Wednesday, September 3, 2003 2:55 AM EDT
St. Louis Cardinals
Team Page | Schedule | Injuries
Stats: Batting | Pitching
2 5 0
Chicago Cubs
Team Page | Schedule | Injuries
Stats: Batting | Pitching
0 5 2
W Morris (9-6)
L Wood (11-11)
S Isringhausen (17)
Recap | Box Score | ScoreCast | Game Log | How They Scored | Today's Scoreboard

CHICAGO (Ticker) -- The St. Louis Cardinals only split their day-night doubleheader with the rival Chicago Cubs , but they had more than enough reason to be satisfied.

Matt Morris allowed five hits in seven innings and Jim Edmonds homered before leaving with a bruised right knee as the Cardinals edged the Cubs, 2-0, in the nightcap of their day-night twinbill.

In a crucial five-game series, St. Louis dropped the first two games and were facing hard-throwing righthander Kerry Wood in this one. Morris (9-6) had pitched well in his two starts since coming off the disabled list on August 23 and was 9-2 lifetime against the Cubs.

But the Cardinals had managed just two runs in the first two games of the series and did not really hit Wood, but did enough to remain atop the National League Central Division.

Morris won for the first time since June 25, scattering three singles, two doubles and four walks. He struck out five and improved to 3-0 against the Cubs this season.

Steve Kline and Mike DeJean combined to get through the eighth inning and Jason Isringhausen worked around a walk in the ninth to notch his 17th save.

"This was a nice win, going 15 innings (in the opener) and using up the bullpen wasn't the plan," Morris said. "You just try to keep your team in it going against Kerry ... and his stuff was good."

Wood (11-11) allowed two runs - one earned - and four hits in seven innings. He walked two and struck out nine.

Chicago won the opener, 4-2, in 15 innings.

The Cubs also may be without reliever Antonio Alfonseca and left fielder Moises Alou , who were ejected during a heated confrontation following the seventh inning.

The dispute stemmed from a call by third base umpire Justin Klemm, who ruled a two-out, bases-loaded line drive by Alou was just foul. After Alou flied out to end the inning, he and Alfonseca - who was in the bullpen at the time - charged Klemm to argue the point.

"Alfonseca's intent was to hurt Justin," crew chief Mike Reilly said. "He came fast at him for no apparent reason, he gave him a malicious chest and head bump. It is the worst thing I have ever seen in my 27 years."

"Everyone who saw the play, except the umpire who made the call, said the ball was fair," Cubs manager Dusty Baker said. "That's a call that ties or wins the game. A huge call .... instead of being one-half game up, we are 1 1/2 games back."

Baker's St. Louis counterpart Tony La Russa and Edmonds saw the play from different angles but agreed that Klenn got the call right.

"The ball was foul and they went nuts," La Russa said. "That's a good way to (tick) off the umpires."

"It's a heated time of the year, it is a pennant race," Edmonds said. "Things are under a microscope, so it is to be expected. Anything close will be a heated discussion."

The Cubs left a runner at third in the opening inning and Edmonds staked St. Louis to a 1-0 lead by opening the second with his 36th homer.

"He just threw me a fastball, I was just swinging," Edmonds said. "Since he throws 100 (miles per hour), you have to have respect."

Chicago stranded two runners in the second and left a pair in scoring position in the third.

The Cubs ran themselves out of a run in the sixth. Randall Simon singled with one out but was thrown out trying to stretch the hit into a double. The poor decision proved costly when Troy O'Leary followed with a double.

The Cardinals tacked on a run in the seventh. Tino Martinez walked and came around to score when Ramon Martinez botched a two-out grounder and threw the ball away attempting to get Morris out at first.

Chicago finally got to Morris in the fateful seventh. The Cardinals' righthander got the first two batters but pinch hitter Aramis Ramirez walked and Kenny Lofton singled. Mark Grudzielanek was hit by a pitch, bringing up Alou - who just missed tying the game.

St. Louis left a runner at third in the eighth but its bullpen got the job done over the final two innings.

Edmonds left the game in the eighth with a bruised right knee.

"I just fell on it weird," Edmonds said. "I think my elbow hit the bone and pushed the kneecap to the side," Edmonds said. "All I know is it swelled up pretty good. I hope to play tomorrow if the swelling goes down."

© 2005 STATS, Inc
divider line