Extra MustardSI On CampusFantasyPhoto GalleriesSwimsuitVideoFanNationSI KidsTNT
Updated: Saturday, November 29, 2003 9:31 PM EST
Recap | Box Score | Today's Scoreboard
Iowa 70, (16) Louisville 69 (ot)

INDIANAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Pierre Pierce made the first of two free throws with 9.2 seconds left in overtime as Iowa edged 16th-ranked Louisville, 70-69, in the opener of the John Wooden Tradition.

Pierce drove around Larry O'Bannon on the right wing and got in the air before he was fouled by Kendall Dartez. Pierce, Iowa's leading scorer, made the first free throw to break the tie.

Louisville had a chance to win it at the other end, but Nate Daniels was short on a 10-foot running banker from the right side as the horn sounded.

Greg Brunner scored 26 points and Brody Boyd added 22 for the Hawkeyes (3-0), who treated coach Steve Alford to a win in his home state. Alford starred for Indiana University, leading the school to a national title in 1987.

The Cardinals (0-1) rallied from a five-point deficit in the final three minutes of regulation and came back from six points down in the last three minutes of overtime before dropping their season opener.

Luke Whitehead scored 18 points and Francisco Garcia added 17 for Louisville, which was 11-of-27 from 3-point range.

The doubleheader named after the legendary UCLA coach finished with Indiana edging Xavier, 80-77, in another overtime contest.

Pierce's runner with 3:27 left in the second half increased Iowa's lead to 62-56, but Whitehead hit a jumper, Daniels made a reverse layup and Taquan Dean sank a 3-pointer in a 7-1 run for a 63-63 tie with 53 seconds left.

"I think we were right there on the verge in the second half of getting control of it, but they do so good with the three ball," Alford said.

Brody and Pierce both could have won it in regulation but missed a driving floater and fadeaway in the lane, respectively.

Brunner opened the scoring in overtime with a pair of free throws, making it 65-63 with 3:54 to play. With Louisville going cold, Brody made a pair of layups in transition for a seemingly comfortable 69-63 lead with 2:33 remaining.

The Cardinals stayed close with their favorite weapon - the 3-pointer. Larry O'Bannon hit two in a row to tie it at 69-69 with 83 seconds to go.

O'Bannon later was responsible for guarding Pierce, but he turned his ankle. That allowed Pierce to drive around him and draw the foul that led to the go-ahead free throw.

"I thought for game three of the year, playing a team like Louisville, our team played with a lot of poise," Alford said.

© 2005 STATS, Inc