Extra MustardSI On CampusFantasyPhoto GalleriesSwimsuitVideoFanNationSI KidsTNT
Updated: Sunday, March 13, 2005 10:39 PM EST
Recap | Box Score | Today's Scoreboard
(11) Oklahoma St 72, Texas Tech 68

KANSAS CITY, Missouri (Ticker) -- John Lucas came up clutch down the stretch to deliver Oklahoma State its second straight Big 12 tournament title.

Lucas scored six of his 19 points in the final two minutes as No. 11 Oklahoma State overcame a late comeback for a 72-68 victory over Texas Tech.

The Cowboys (24-6) captured their second overall tournament title in the nine-year history of the Big 12, gaining the league's automatic bid for the NCAA Tournament.

It was the third straight game to go down to the final shot for Oklahoma State, a fact that forward Joey Graham believes will prepare the Cowboys in the upcoming NCAA Tournament.

"It definitely does help us," said Graham, who was named the tournament's MVP after scoring 65 points in wins over Colorado, Kansas and Texas Tech. "Down the stretch, especially in the NCAA tournament there are going to be close games. It definitely prepares us for some of the close games down the road."

Going without a field goal for over 6 1/2 minutes in the second half, Oklahoma State had a 11-point lead erased when Texas Tech's Martin Zeno made two free throws to tie the score at 53-53 with 7:49 remaining.

Zeno added an up-and-under shot in the lane and converted a baseline layup off a steal and a pass from Ronald Ross for a 57-53 advantage with 6:16 to play. Devonne Giles followed up a miss by Zeno to extend the lead to six points a minute later.

"As a coach, you have got to really be pleased for kids and with kids that get down as we did, 10 or 11 in the second half and come back and get the game in a position where now if we make the right plays we can win the game," Texas Tech coach Bob Knight said.

Oklahoma State responded with an 11-4 run, capped by a three-point play by Graham for a 64-63 lead with 2:07 to play. Daniel Bobik then drew an offensive foul on the Red Raiders' Darryl Dora, Lucas hit a 3-pointer 32 seconds later and had a fast-break layup to put Oklahoma State up, 69-66, with 39 seconds left. The layup was just the seventh field goal in the last 15:13 for the Cowboys.

"We were in a drought, seemed like somebody just put a lid over the goal," Lucas said. "We were missing layups and also jump shots that were wide open. Coach just told us, 'don't get frustrated, keep playing and you shots will fall.' It did when it counted."

Despite missing seven straight shots during its drought, Oklahoma State amazingly finished 50 percent (12-of-24) in the second half. Texas Tech shot 33 percent (11-of-33).

One of those numerous misses for Texas Tech was a 3-pointer by Ronald Ross that could have tied the game with 10 seconds left. Lucas split two free throws on the other end with four seconds remaining to make it, 72-68.

Lucas shot 7-of-13 from the field with four 3-pointers and Graham chipped in 16 for Oklahoma State, which beat Texas Tech for the fifth straight time, including a win the semifinals of the conference tournament last season.

Ross, who scored a career-high 28 points in a 69-63 victory over top seed Oklahoma on Saturday, had 22 points along with Jarrius Jackson for the Red Raiders (20-10), who still gained an at-large berth for the NCAAs despite the loss.

© 2005 STATS, Inc