Authorities say Tyson could face two rape charges in VegasPosted: Wednesday January 30, 2002 6:13 PM
Updated: Wednesday January 30, 2002 7:35 PM
LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Las Vegas police are investigating a second felony rape allegation against heavyweight boxer Mike Tyson.
Clark County District Attorney Stewart Bell confirmed Wednesday that detectives have been investigating sexual assault complaints against Tyson by two women.
The district attorney said prosecutors and police plan to meet Friday to discuss a September complaint by a Las Vegas woman and a November 2000 allegation from another woman police identified only as being in her 20s and an out-of-state resident.
Authorities had not previously acknowledged the November 2000 case.
Bell said it could be "a few days or several months," before a decision is reached whether to prosecute either case.
Scott Miranda, a Tyson spokesman, said Wednesday that Bell assured a Tyson lawyer that Tyson's legal team will be allowed to present favorable evidence before any charges are filed in the second allegation.
On Tuesday, the Nevada Athletic Commission voted 4-1 to refuse Tyson a license to challenge heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis on April 6 at the MGM Grand.
Last week, Las Vegas police said they found probable cause to charge the former heavyweight champion with sexual assault.
Police and prosecutors said a woman went to a Las Vegas hospital in mid-September with injuries she said she suffered when Tyson raped her at his Las Vegas home.
Police said the woman had been in a six-month romantic relationship with Tyson.
Investigators seized several boxes of material, including videotapes, sheets and towels during a Sept. 26 raid at Tyson's $1.3 million home.
Lt. Jeff Carlson, commander of the Las Vegas police sex crimes unit, said Wednesday that the second case was not reported to Las Vegas police until Dec. 28, when the woman told Las Vegas police she had been attacked at Tyson's home in November 2000.
He said the woman initially went to police near her home and reported that she had been raped.
He said physical evidence was gathered, but the first police agency did not notify authorities in Las Vegas until after the woman heard about the September case and came forward on her own.
Chief Deputy Clark County District Attorney Doug Herndon called it "greatly important that she reported it to the police where she lived right after it happened."
Carlson said results of the investigation of the November 2000 case wouldn't be ready for Friday's meeting.
Bell said Tyson has not been asked to remain in the country during the investigations. He noted his office didn't stop Tyson from traveling to Copenhagen, Denmark, for his Oct. 13 fight against Brian Nielsen.
"We're not in a position to charge him yet," the district attorney said Wednesday. "We would be reluctant to let someone leave the country if we had any doubt we could find him if we needed to, but he's easy to find."
In 1992, Tyson was found guilty of rape in Indiana and served three years of a 10-year sentence.
He was cleared of a sexual battery allegation raised by a woman at a Chicago nightclub in 1996 and an allegation that he raped a woman last year in Big Bear, Calif.