Rugby World Cup
This Week's Issue
Life of Reilly
SI for Women
CNN/SI - TV
Golf Pro Shop
MLB Gear Store
NFL Gear Store
SI FOR KIDS
INSIDE COLLEGE FOOTBALL
Posted: Wed November 26, 1997
1. Pat Sullivan Texas Christian gave its coach, who announced his resignation in October, a rousing send-off by defeating I-30 neighbor Southern Methodist 21-18 for the Horned Frogs' first (and only) win of the season.
2. Tennessee The Volunteers, given up for dead in the national-championship hunt after their 33-20 loss to Florida in September, now are on track for an Orange Bowl showdown with Nebraska. If Michigan falters in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1, the Vols will be playing for the national title, which they haven't won since 1951.
1. Texas Tech University chancellor John Montford vowed to shave his head if the Red Raiders beat Oklahoma and clinched a share of the Big 12 South title. Not close, and no shave: The heretofore terrible Sooners thumped Tech 32-21.
2. California The Golden Bears not only lost the centennial Big Game to Stanford, 21-20, but alsothanks to Washington State's Rose Bowl berthbecame the conference team with the longest Rose Bowl drought. Cal hasn't played in Pasadena in January since 1959.
3. Black coaches Ron Dickerson resigned at Temple, and Louisville fired Ron Cooper. The six remaining black Division I-A coaches should survive, but will this year's black coaching candidates get the Ron-around?
Issue date: December 1, 1997
Copyright © 1999 CNN/SI. A Time Warner Company.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.