Shop Fantasy Central Golf Guide Email Travel Subscribe SI About Us Bloody Monday

  pro football
depth charts
baseball S
col. football S
pro basketball S
m. college bb S
w. college bb S
hockey S
golf plus S
tennis S
soccer S
motor sports
olympic sports
women's sports
more sports

 Sportsman of the Year
 Heisman Trophy
 Swimsuit 2001

 Fantasy Central
 Inside Game
 Multimedia Central
 Your Turn
 Message Boards
 Email Newsletters
 Golf Guide
 Work in Sports GROUP
 Sports Illustrated
 Life of Reilly
 SI Women
 SI for Kids
 Press Room
 TBS/TNT Sports
 CNN Languages

 SI Customer Service
 SI Media Kits
 Get into College
 Sports Memorabilia

Super Bowl slayings

Does Ray Lewis' arrest for murder taint the game?

Posted: Friday March 03, 2000 02:02 PM

By John Donovan,

ATLANTA -- Early on the chilly morning of January 31, as the city of Atlanta basked in the afterglow of maybe the best Super Bowl ever and revelers spilled out of an upscale bar in the Buckhead area of town, a fight broke out.

By the time it was over, two young men lay dying in the street, the victims of a brutal attack. And the NFL, which should have been sliding triumphantly into its off-season, was again forced to face its image as a haven for violent athletes.

Baltimore Ravens Pro Bowl linebacker Ray Lewis -- one of the NFL's best young players and the leading tackler in the league this past season -- was one of three men police charged with the murders of two friends, a young barber and an aspiring artist.

On the heels of one of the most exciting NFL seasons ever, a star stands charged with murder and the league struggles to cope with its violent image. examines the problem in this special weeklong report.
The Stories 
  • Monday: The Slayings | The Victims
  • Tuesday: The Entourage
  • Wednesday: Dealing with Violence
  • Thursday: Starting Young
  • Friday: Your Reactions
  • Multimedia 
    Video Box:  Inside Scene
    Boom Box:  Initial reactions
    Video Box:  Lewis supporters  
  • Chat Reel: SI's Lester Munson
  • Chat Reel: SI's Frank Deford
  • The Crime

    Atlanta police are still trying to piece together what happened on East Paces Ferry Road in Buckhead that early Monday morning.

    This much is clear: Jacinth Baker, 21, and Richard Lollar, 24, two men who had come to Atlanta from Akron, Ohio, in search of opportunity, were stabbed to death not with wild swings of a knife, but by killers who apparently knew how to kill.

    A Fulton County medical examiner said the two men's injuries "were well-directed wounds into vital areas." They quickly bled to death. Lollar died at the scene. Baker died on his way to the hospital.

    Ray Anthony Lewis, 24, admits being there when the fight that preceded the killings broke out. And two other men police call "longtime associates" of Lewis -- Reginald Oakley of Baltimore and Joseph Sweeting of Miami -- are also charged in the killings.

    The murders occurred sometime around 4 a.m., about six hours after the St. Louis Rams beat the Tennessee Titans in Super Bowl XXXIV some seven miles away at the Georgia Dome. Sometime after Lewis left the Cobalt Lounge in Buckhead, his $3,000-a-day rented stretch limousine at the wait, a confrontation took place on the street.

    Punches were thrown. A champagne bottle was broken over someone's head.

    And, after the stabbings some 200 yards down the street from the Cobalt, Lewis and several other members of his entourage sped off in the Lincoln Navigator limo as gunshots rang out.

    The Cobalt

    The Cobalt Lounge had been open for barely six months but it quickly became a hot nightspot in an area known for its nightclubs. During Super Bowl week, Michael Jordan was seen in the club, and Wayne Gretzky stopped by, too. Falcons running back Jamal Anderson held a charity function there that Lewis had attended earlier in the week.

    The Cobalt's sleek, modern décor, its strict dress code and the fact that it caters to the best clientele around made it a player on the Buckhead scene almost from the start.

    On the night after the Super Bowl, hundreds of people who paid up to $100 each to slip past its velvet ropes crammed into the club.

      Cobalt Lounge The Cobalt Lounge is located in Buckhead just north of downtown Atlanta.
    The Cobalt has a VIP area, but many witnesses reported that Lewis was hanging out and drinking near the front entrance.

    "A lot of celebrities, a lot of players in particular, really like to be in the middle of things," club owner Thomas Cook said.

    Some witnesses report that an argument began when someone stepped on the foot of a person in Lewis' entourage. Other reports say an argument over football led to the fight.

    Whatever started it, and whether the fight started in the club or in the street, the glitzy Cobalt will forever be linked with the Super Bowl killings on that bloody Monday morning.

    "I think image is everything," Cook said. "This, obviously, isn't the image we want."

    The same could be said for the NFL.

    The Star

    The trip to the Super Bowl was not the first time Ray Lewis had rented a limo from All Stretched Out Limousine Service in Glen Burnie, Md. It wasn't the first time Duane Fassett drove for him. Lewis was a frequent customer of the firm, according to owner Tony Toskov.

    Lewis, of course, could afford to be loose with his money. He had signed a $26-million contract in November of 1998 -- complete with a $7-million signing bonus -- and he still could have richer contracts ahead.

    An NFL Rap Sheet
    Here is a partial list of some NFL players who have faced legal troubles in the past year:
    Ray Lewis (Ravens) -- Accused in the double murder of two men in Atlanta on the night after the Super Bowl. Pending. 
    Rae Carruth (Panthers) -- Accused of the murder of his pregnant girlfriend last November. Pending. 
    Bam Morris and Tamarick Vanover (Chiefs) -- Linked to a wide-ranging federal drug investigation. They have not been charged.  
    Fred Lane (Panthers) -- Arrested on drug and weapons charges in Jackson, Tenn. Pending. 
    Jeremy McDaniel, Marcus Spriggs (Bills) -- Charged, along with former Bills running back Brian Edwards, with sexually assaulting two off-duty police officers in a downtown Buffalo nightclub. McDaniel and Edwards pleaded down to lesser charges and were fined. Spriggs' charge has been adjourned in contemplation of dismissal. 
    Leonard Little (Rams) -- Pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter after a 1998 accident in which he killed a woman in a traffic accident while driving drunk. Sentenced to time and community service. 
    Steve Muhammad (Colts) -- Faces trial on domestic battery charges for beating his wife 10 days before she died in labor from complications of a car accident. Pending. 
    Wayne Chrebet (Jets), Keith Elias (Colts) -- Arrested for a brawl in a nightclub. Pending. 
    Cecil Collins (Dolphins) -- Faces two counts of burglary.Pending. 
    Darrius Johnson (Broncos) -- Faces a misdemeanor assault charge for allegedly punching a topless dancer. Pending. 
    Rod Smith (Broncos) -- Charged with beating his common-law wife. Pending. 
    Jumbo Elliott, Jason Fabini (Jets) -- Fined and ordered to perform community service for their part in a brawl in a New York bar last July. A $6.3 million lawsuit brought against Elliott and Matt O'Dwyer (see below) by two injured bar patrons and three police officers is still pending. 
    Matt O'Dwyer (Bengals) -- Pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and third-degree assault for the brawl involving Elliott and Fabini. A $6.3 million lawsuit brought against O'Dwyer and Jumbo Elliott (see above) by two injured bar patrons and three police officers is still pending. 
    Steve Foley (Bengals) -- Charged with domestic violence after allegedly grabbing his son's mother by the throat. Pending. 
    Lewis bought his mother a home when he signed his first contract as a rookie, a deal that included a $1.3 million signing bonus. More recently he bought her a Mercedes; he bought a Honda Accord for his sister and he gave his estranged father $5,000 ... the list goes on.

    So showing up in Atlanta with a driver in a $3,000-a-day limo was Lewis just being Lewis. Living large was his way.

    Investigators have been busy re-tracing Lewis' movements after he left his home that week.

    He left the Baltimore area on the Wednesday before the Super Bowl in the limo and may have stopped in Charlotte, N.C., to pick up some friends, according to a report in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. He stayed for awhile at the Georgian Terrace hotel, stopped into the Cobalt for Anderson's charity affair on Wednesday, accepted an award from the NFL Alumni on Friday night and signed autographs at an Atlanta-area sporting goods store on Saturday.

    And sometime after midnight, just hours after the Super Bowl ended, Lewis, wearing a full-length fur coat, surrounded by several women, a couple of men and assorted other hangers-on, entered the Cobalt.

    During the fight on the street a few hours later, Lewis was a "horrified bystander" and a "peacemaker," according to his lawyer. The legal team for Lewis has insisted the 6-foot-1, 245-pounder never threw a punch , though reports say Fassett told police he did. Even that may be in question, though, in a case that a judge has now put under a gag order.

    Regardless, police say they have a murder weapon, said to have been purchased by one of Lewis' co-defendants at the sporting goods store where Lewis signed autographs.

    Lewis is now free on $1 million bond, though the court has put restrictions on his movements. His two co-defendants remain in jail.

    Lollar and Baker have been buried.

    "You've heard it many times before, from my attorneys and from a lot of other people, but now you get to hear it from me: I am innocent," Lewis told a packed news conference in Baltimore after he was released. "But of course, I've been ordered by the court that I can't speak about the case, so I won't. All I can do is sit back and wait for justice to take its course ..."

      Ray Lewis Ray Lewis publicly expressed his innocence at the Ravens complex on Feb. 17. AP

    The future

    Lewis is scheduled to be arraigned on the murder charges on March 10, when he is expected to plead not guilty.

    His trial, which promises to be high profile, has been put on a fast track, as is his right under Georgia law. It is scheduled to begin on May 15. That's Lewis' 25th birthday.

    Meanwhile, the Ravens and the NFL are waiting nervously. The team allowed Lewis to use its facilities to make his statement after his release from jail, and has publicly, if cautiously, backed him since his arrest. Owner Art Modell spoke on behalf of his player during the bond hearing.

    But should Lewis be allowed to take part in team functions? Should he be allowed to practice or take part in mini-camps?

    These are questions the league and the Ravens must face. The league also has a reputation at stake. Following a season in which the NFL implemented a much-publicized ban against the menacing "throat slash" gesture on the field, league officials already are talking about shoring up their policy against violence by players off the field.

    The saga of Ray Lewis and the other two men charged with this crime is far from over. The tragedy that has befallen the families of Jacinth Baker and Richard Lollar is not over yet, either.

    It many ways, this may never be over.

    "We will not allow wealth or fame or celebrity to pervert justice. That is a commitment that is fundamental, and we will keep it," said grim-faced Atlanta mayor Bill Campbell at a press conference announcing the indictments of Lewis and his two co-defendants. "What we owe to the public and to the victims and to their families is justice. Nothing more, nothing less."

    CNNSI Copyright © 2000
    CNN/Sports Illustrated
    An AOL Time Warner Company.
    All Rights Reserved.

    Terms under which this service is provided to you.
    Read our privacy guidelines.