Rugby World Cup
This Week's Issue
Life of Reilly
SI for Women
CNN/SI - TV
Golf Pro Shop
MLB Gear Store
NFL Gear Store
SI FOR KIDS
Plenty to be thankful for
Posted: Thursday November 26, 1998 09:28 AM
Click here to send an NFL question to James Lofton.
It's time to step away from the turkey for a second and recognize the top 10 things reasons we football fans should give thanks:
10. Old backup quarterbacks. I mean, guys we gave up on in the mid-'80s. Randall Cunningham, Bubby Brister, Doug Flutie, Steve Beuerlein, Vinny Testaverde and one guy we gave up on in the '70s, Steve DeBerg.
9. Bless their little hearts -- the eleven guys who try to tackle Barry Sanders every play.
8. The NBA Lockout. See, I can only really concentrate on one sport at time.
7. Archie Manning, for doing such a good job in raising a player our kids can actually look up to.
6. Old man winter. There is nothing like a little snow, sleet and rain to make you feel those bone-jarring hits.
5. Did I mention Doug Flutie? All those moves he makes. Jump passing, laterals backwards during scrambles, underhanded passes, sky hook passes. I just remembered where I saw those moves before. In the parking lot before the game, those guys who we thought had one too many.
4. Chasing perfection. The Broncos at 11-0 wouldn't mean as much if the '72 Dolphins hadn't been there first.
3. John Madden's 26 references to that 18-legged turkey. That's just in the first quarter.
2. The Dallas Cowboys. Love them or hate them, it's good to have America's Team back among the elite.
1. The Eagles don't play on Thanksgiving Day. That could ruin a perfectly good meal.
Copyright © 1999 CNN/SI. A Time Warner Company.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.