Work in Sports
Drawing little interest
Marino finding free agency to be tougher than he thought
Posted: Sunday February 13, 2000 05:26 PM
MIAMI (AP) -- Dan Marino, the NFL's career leading passer, has received little interest from other teams since voiding the final two years of contract with the Miami Dolphins and becoming a free agent, his agent said.
The situation may leave the 38-year-old quarterback with only one option: retirement.
Marvin Demoff, Marino's agent, told The Miami Herald for Sunday's edition that it is unlikely Marino will play any place other than Miami. Marino might consider playing with another team, Demoff said, but only under certain conditions.
"I don't know that that's necessarily an option," Demoff said about Marino playing elsewhere. "Nothing is happening there."
Marino was in Pittsburgh on Saturday to be inducted into the Pittsburgh Sports Hall of Fame. He was noncommittal when asked about what his future holds.
"I'm not sure right now," Marino said. "I know I'm just taking my time, relaxing and trying to have some fun."
Several reports said Marino and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were looking to work out a deal that would keep Marino close to his home in South Florida.
But since learning last week that Marino would become a free agent, Bucs coach Tony Dungy has not wavered from his position that 23-year-old Shaun King will begin training camp as the starter.
King went 5-2 as a starter last season and led the Bucs to the NFC championship game. That performance convinced the Bucs not to exercise a two-year contract option on Trent Dilfer.
Marino may still want to return to the Dolphins, but the team seems ready to move on without the 17-year veteran.
Miami already has visits set up with Fiedler and Miller.
Before Marino left for Pittsburgh, he talked briefly with Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga, and the two agreed to talk again next week.