Davis may face discipline from NFL
ROSEMONT, Ill. (AP) -- NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue sharply criticized Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis for bringing a $1.2 billion suit against the league and said disciplinary action is possible.
"The whole action was uncalled for," Tagliabue said Wednesday, referring to the suit that was rejected by a Los Angeles jury on Monday. "When one owner makes a choice to sue the other owners, it's an insult."
Tagliabue, speaking publicly for the first time since the verdict, said NFL bylaws contain provisions to punish teams for conduct detrimental to the league. He said no immediate action was likely, but the issue was discussed at the league meetings this week and remains under consideration.
"It's a future matter," he said.
Davis did not attend the meetings and was not immediately available for comment.
The suit claimed the Raiders, who moved back to Oakland from Los Angeles after the 1995 season, still owned the Los Angeles market and that the team was forced out of Southern California because the NFL wanted to share a site at Hollywood Park with another team.
The Rams moved to St. Louis at the same time and attempts by the league to put an expansion team have also failed -- Houston will get a new team in 2002 instead.
Tagliabue's comments came on the second day of the meetings at which the owners approved a new realignment plan for the arrival of Houston. Tagliabue said the playoff format would remain the same but added the league is considering a different procedure of seeding teams for the postseason.
"It's possible that a wildcard team with a good record could be seeded higher than a division winner with a lesser one," Tagliabue said.
Also, owners approved a change that will allow a team to wait until Sunday to designate its inactive players. Previously, four players had to be designated inactive on the Friday before the game.