SPECIAL ANNIVERSARY OFFER: Now you can own an original first issue of Sports Illustrated!
The Dallas Cowboys and Jerry Jones are Identified as the State's Most Hated Opponents
New York, NY, September 10, 2003 - This week's SPORTS ILLUSTRATED features sports in the state of Delaware, as a part of the 50 state-specific sections that are being published in the magazine in conjunction with SI's yearlong 50th anniversary celebration.
Identifying the University of Delaware's Fightin' Blue Hens football team as what makes the state unique, the six-page feature also includes an accompanying essay by Delaware Sports Hall of Fame member Pat Williams, who is the former NBA GM and current senior vice president of the Orlando Magic. Also included in the section are a wide range of facts, figures and photographs highlighting the most memorable moments and personalities that have shaped The First State's sports landscape.
The Delaware edition hits newsstands beginning today Wednesday, September 10, 2003 . Newsstand copies in Delaware feature a cover-flap identifying the special Delaware section.
Highlights from the special section include:
• "Worth Clucking Over," in which SI scribe Jeff Pearlman writes about the University of Delaware's Blue Hen football team, their storied tradition and devoted fans.
• "The Blue-Gold Bridge," in which Pat Williams, who is the senor vice president of the Orlando Magic and a member of the Delaware Sports Hall of Fame, chronicles the history of the Delaware Blue-Gold Bridge All-Star Football game. The 47-year-old charity game has brought the state's north and south together and raised more than $5 million for mentally handicapped kids. Williams' father co-founded the event.
• The Poll: Delawareans weigh in on sports in a Harris Interactive poll that found these results:
• Favorite NFL team..........Philadelphia Eagles (41%)
• State's biggest rival..........Pennsylvania (25%)
• State's biggest sports rivalry..........Delaware - Delaware State (17%)
• Enemy of the State: Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones won the biggest villain title in Delaware where the Philadelphia Eagles are the state's favorite football team. Jones received 9% of the vote edging out Andy Talley (8%) and George Steinbrenner (8%). Delaware's most hated opponents? The Cowboys (25%), b (16%) and the New York Giants (10%).
• Greatest Moment - Editor's pick. The 1972 Delaware Blue Hens, who were led by coach Tubby Raymond and won their games by an average margin of 27.4 points, knocked off Bucknell 20-3 in the finale to finish 10-0 and clinch their second consecutive small-college national championship, as determined by the AP and UPI polls.
SI's 50th Anniversary program, America's Sports Illustrated: 50 Years, 50 States, 50 Sports, is a wide-ranging multimedia platform that is the most ambitious initiative in the history of the franchise. The grassroots effort, which begins this month and continues through July 2004, is a yearlong celebration of sports in America. It will include editorial coverage in the magazine and online, a community sports outreach campaign with YMCA of the USA and National Recreation and Park Association, as well as The Toyota Presents Sports Illustrated's 50th Anniversary Tour that is traveling to unique sports events in cities and towns throughout the country. SI's actual 50th anniversary date is August 16, 2004. Toyota is the presenting sponsor of the Tour; Starter and Best Buy are program sponsors.