SPECIAL ANNIVERSARY OFFER: Now you can own an original first issue of Sports Illustrated!
50 STATE-SPECIFIC WEEKLY SECTIONS
Author Roy Blount Jr. Writes on the Thrills of Following Georgia Tech's Gridiron Team
New York, NY, April 7, 2004 - This week's SPORTS ILLUSTRATED highlights the sports scene in the state of Georgia, marking the 38th of 50 state-specific sections to be published in the magazine as part of SI's yearlong 50th Anniversary celebration.
Profiling the state of Georgia through the eyes of Augusta, highlighted events include The Masters, minor league baseball, drag boats and pro wrestling , the six-page feature also includes an accompanying essay by author Roy Blount Jr. , plus a wide range of facts, figures and photographs highlighting the most memorable moments and personalities that have shaped the state's sports landscape.
The Georgia edition begins hitting newsstands on Wednesday, April 7, 2004 . Newsstand copies in Georgia will feature a cover-flap identifying the special state section.
Highlights from the special section include:
• In "Football Magic," author and Georgia native Roy Blount Jr. describes the thrills of following Georgia Tech's mighty gridiron team.
• The Poll: Georgians weigh in on their state's sports scene in a Harris Interactive poll that found the following results:
o Favorite NFL team.............Atlanta Falcons (33%)
o Favorite Sport to Play.............Baseball/Softball (19%)
o State's Biggest Rivalry.............Georgia-Georgia-Tech (67%)
• Enemy of the State: Steve Spurrier - No, neither Martha Burk nor Hootie made the list. Spurrier's wins was his fourth, tying him with Brett Favre for the most by a non-Steinbrenner. Georgians' most hated opponents: the Florida Gators (49%), New York Yankees (13%) and New York Mets (6%).
• Greatest Moment - Editor's pick: On Nov. 8, 1980, the Bulldogs trailed Florida 21-20 and faced third-and-11 on their eight-yard line with 1:32 to play when Buck Belue hit wideout Lindsay Scott for a 93-yard TD that gave the Dawgs a 26-21 win and sparked Georgia's run to the national title. Larry Munson's radio call is almost as famous as the play: "Run Lindsay...Lindsay Scott!...Lindsay Scott!...Lindsay Scott!...Lindsay Scott!"
• Sportstown: Gwinnett County earns Sports Illustrated 50th Anniversary Sportstown honors for having Georgia's best community sports programs.
SI's 50th Anniversary program, America's Sports Illustrated: 50 Years, 50 States, 50 Sports, is a wide-ranging multimedia platform that is the most ambitious initiative in the history of the franchise. The grassroots effort, which began in July 2003 and continues through July 2004, is a yearlong celebration of sports in America. It will include editorial coverage in the magazine and online, a community sports outreach campaign with YMCA of the USA and the National Recreation and Park Association, as well as The Toyota Presents Sports Illustrated's 50th Anniversary Tour that will travel to unique sports events and festivals in cities and towns throughout the country. SI's actual 50th anniversary date is August 16, 2004. Toyota is the presenting sponsor of the Tour; Best Buy , MassMutual Financial Group and Starter are program sponsors.
Contacts: Danny Ferrauiola, Edelman (212) 704-8299 Michelle Naughton, Edelman (212) 642-7796