Grandson of The King was always a prince
Posted: Friday May 12, 2000 03:56 PM
In February, Adam Petty made his second Busch Series start at Daytona International Speedway. In his debut there in 1999, he finished a solid sixth. CNNSI.com's Ryan Smithson talked with the likeable 19-year-old during Speedweeks - three months before Petty lost his life in a practice crash at New Hampshire.
1. What do you think about the Truck Series making its debut at Daytona?
I think it is going to be unbelievable. They don't have a restrictor plate, so they sound like they are running 300 mph out there. It will be a good race -- mainly because they can get on the gas and get right back onto the gas. They can hop on a line and really dice it up out there.
2. Just how hot does it get in a race car?
Ha! It'll be about 140 in there.
3. Who have your patterned yourself after?
Mainly, it has been my dad (eight-time Winston Cup race winner Kyle Petty). I have patterned myself after my father and God.
4. Who is your best friend in the Busch Series? And what kind of stuff do you talk about?
Casey Atwood. Mainly we just talk about how to make our race cars go faster. It's all about racing on the track.
5. If they were to make a sequel to "Days of Thunder," who do they need to get to star in it?
Me, Casey and Dale (Earnhardt) Jr. Dale Jr. would probably be the main star.
6. Did you play any other sports in high school?
No, I didn't playing anything -- I just raced.
7. Do you chew tobacco?
No. I don't smoke either.
8. What is your favorite TV show?
That has got to be South Park!
9. How many speeding tickets have you gotten?
Whoa. Way too many. Way too many to count. I've gotten too many in the last year to be honest.
10. Is it hard to go slow in your road car?
No, not really, but it sure does gets frustrating at times.