Indianapolis 500 Crash Report
1. May 7 -- r-Cory Witherill, No. 16, G Force-Oldsmobile.
The car's right rear tire started going flat coming out of the fourth turn. He spun 360 degrees through the first turn and the nose of the car tapped the wall. He did another quarter-spin before stopping between the first and second turns. Witherill was not injured and there was only light damage to the car.
2. May 8 -- r-Casey Mears, No. 31, G Force-Oldsmobile.
Made a half-spin coming out of turn 1 and struck the wall hard with the rear of the car. Arie Luyendyk, following Mears on the track, spun to avoid the debris but did not make contact with Mears or the wall. Mears was taken to Methodist Hospital for observation and released that night.
3. May 10 -- Jim Guthrie, No. 27, G Force-Oldsmobile.
Turned into the inside wall as he was exiting the pits. There was light damage to the car and Guthrie was uninjured.
4. May 10 -- Jeret Schroeder, No. 9, Dallara-Oldsmobile.
Lost control coming out of turn two and backed into the wall. Schroeder climbed out uninjured.
5. May 11 -- r-Helio Castroneves, No. 68, Dallara-Oldsmobile.
Brushed outside wall in turn 1, but car continued around the track until rolling to a stop in turn 4. Castroneves was not injured.
6. May 11 -- Eliseo Salazar, No. 14, Dallara-Oldsmobile.
Lost control coming out of turn one and hit the outside wall twice. The car slid across the track, making 2 1/4 spins, before stopping. A fire in the car was quickly extinguished and Salazar was not injured.
7. May 11 -- Stan Wattles, No. 92, Dallara-Oldsmobile.
Struck the outside wall of turn 1 while exiting the turn, bounced off, spun around, skidded down the track and hit the outside wall again. Wattles left the track on a backboard, was taken to Methodist Hospital and was released about an hour later.
8. May 11 -- Davey Hamilton, No. 99T, Dallara-Oldsmobile.
Did a half-spin coming out of turn two and struck the inside wall at the start of the back straightaway with the rear of the car. Hamilton was taken to Methodist Hospital and released about two hours later.
9. May 12 -- Eliseo Salazar, No. 14, Dallara-Oldsmobile.
Blew an engine going into the first turn, made a half-spin and hit the wall with the left side of the car. Salazar was not injured.
10. May 13 -- r-Memo Gidley, No. 61, G Force-Oldsmobile.Spun sideways coming out of turn three and hit the wall with the right read. The car had light damage and Gidley was not injured. Jimmy Kite, trailing Gidley, spun to avoid Gidley's car but did not make contact.
11. May 13 -- Stan Wattles, No. 94, Dallara-Oldsmobile.
Came low in turn one, spun 180 degrees and hit the wall with the left side on the first lap of a qualification attempt. The car had moderate to heavy damage. Wattles was not injured.
12. May 13 -- w-Buddy Lazier, No. 93, Dallara-Oldsmobile.
Driving teammate Stan Wattles' backup car, got loose coming out of the first turn, made a quarter-spin and backed into the wall. The car had light damage to the rear end. Lazier was not injured.
13. May 19 -- Tyce Carlson, No. 60T, Dallara-Oldsmobile.
Spun coming out of the fourth turn, hit the inside wall with the nose of the car, bounced back onto the track just north of the pit entrance and hit the pit wall. He was taken to Methodist Hospital with back pain and released about two hours later.
14. May 19 -- Jim Guthrie, No. 27, G Force-Oldsmobile.
Hit the outside wall in turn four with the right side of the car, slid down the front straightaway and stopped just past the start-finish line. The car had heavy damage to the right side. Guthrie was not injured.
15. May 19 -- Steve Knapp, No. 37, G Force-Oldsmobile.
Brushed the outside wall between the first and second turns and stopped on the inside of the rear straightaway. Knapp was not injured.
16. May 20 -- Steve Knapp, No. 93, Dallara-Oldsmobile.
Spun coming out of the second turn and bumped the outside wall twice with the left rear of the car. Knapp was not injured.r- denotes rookie
w-denotes former winner