2001 Indy 500

Shop Fantasy Central Golf Guide Free e-mail Travel Subscribe SI About Us
Indy 500 Home
Coca-Cola 600 Home
Other Motor Sports Circuits
The Track

 Sportsman of the Year
 Heisman Trophy
 Swimsuit 2001

 Fantasy Central
 Inside Game
 Video Plus
 Your Turn
 Message Boards
 Email Newsletters
 Golf Guide

 Sports Illustrated
 Life of Reilly
 SI Women
 SI for Kids
 Press Room
 TBS/TNT Sports
 CNN Languages

 SI Customer Service
 SI Media Kits
 Get into College
 Sports Memorabilia

Tony Stewart achieved notoriety Sunday, placing sixth at Indy 500 and third at Coca-Cola 600 on the same day. To put Stewart's achievement in perspective, CNNSI.com took a look at some other notable daily doubles. As much as we wanted to include Phil Collins' appearances at both the England and Philadelphia Live Aid performances, he fell short of the height requirement as established by jockey Angel Cordero.

What am I? Wilbur Wood?
July 20, 1973 

John Iacono
Wilbur Wood took Ernie Banks' motto of "Let's play two" to new heights when the White Sox hurler took to the mound against the New York Yankees ... twice. That's right, Wood started -- and lost -- both ends of a doubleheader en route to a 24-20 season. No pitcher has tried it since.

Four years later, Wood pitched a complete-game in the opener of a twin bill and was told by manager Bob Lemon to go to the bullpen for the second game. Lemon later said he only wanted to make sure there would still be some beer in the clubhouse for the team after the nightcap. 

Youngblood always was a teams player
August 4, 1982 

Jeff Carlick/Allsport
You know how some ballplayers will take the full 72 hours they get to report to a new team? Not Joel Youngblood, who had barely come back into the Mets dugout after driving in the winning run at Wrigley Field to learn he had been traded to Montreal. He hopped a plane to Philadelphia and made his Expos debut in the sixth inning. He would get a hit to become -- and remain -- the only player in history to get hits for two teams in two cities on the same day.

The Mets were involved in another oddity in 1979, when they traded for Jose Cardenal in between games of a doubleheader. Cardenal crossed the hall and dressed -- but did not play -- for the Mets in the second game. "A couple of Mets players, John Stearns and a few guys, were saying, 'What are you doing here? Wrong clubhouse!'" Mets manager Joe Torre was going to play Cardenal, who asked out of the lineup. "I could not do it. I was in shock."

That left Max Flack and Cliff Heathcote as the only players to play for both teams in a doubleheader, having been traded by the Cubs and Cardinals, respectively, between games on May 30, 1922.  

A legend's loyalties divided
September 28, 1982 

Hulton Deutsch/Allsport
Captain of Brazil's 1970 World Cup championship team, Carlos Alberto was one of the many famed internationals who came to finish their careers in the ever humble North American Soccer League. He joined the Cosmos in 1977 -- a bridge between the eras of Pelé, Chinaglia and Beckenbauer -- and helped them to four Soccer Bowl titles in five seasons while being named the league's outstanding defenseman three times. Not long after winning the '82 Soccer Bowl, Alberto, run into the ground with injuries and age, retired with a farewell match at Giants Stadium against the Brazilian club team Flamengo, which featured stars Zico and Junior.

The old man played the first half with the Cosmos and the second half with Flamengo, having surrendered his Cosmos jersey to young star Darryl Gee, who wore it in the second half while playing against his mentor.

Pelé had done the same thing upon his retirement in October 1977, playing one half for the Cosmos and one half for Brazil's Santos.  

Run for the roses ... and the tarmac
May 4, 1985 

Ken Levine/Allsport
It was the greatest Daily Double that never was. Moments after winning the 1985 Kentucky Derby aboard Spend A Buck, Angel Cordero hopped a plane for Philadelphia, where he had hoped to ride Kattegat's Pride in the Betsy Ross Handicap at Garden State Park. But Cordero arrived at the track five minutes late and had to watch Declan Murphy finish third aboard Kattegat's Pride. Cordero gets credit in our book for at least attempting to make his mount, because it would have been real easy to stay in Louisville to bask in the glow of his third Derby winner.  
Prime Overtime
October 11, 1992 

Rick Stewart/Bill Hickey/Allsport
Sure, Danny Ainge played baseball and basketball. Dave Winfield was drafted in three sports. And Bo Jackson could have been a Hall of Famer in football and baseball. Even Brian Jordan has played for the Braves and Falcons in his career. But nobody -- nobody -- ever played in two major professional sports leagues on the same day until Deion Sanders.

After playing for the Braves in Game 4 of the NLCS in Pittsburgh on Saturday night, Sanders arrived in Fort Lauderdale around 3 a.m. Sunday. Less than six hours later he was on the Falcons team bus headed to Joe Robbie Stadium. He played all but one down on defense and caught a 9-yard pass on offense. He also handled four kickoffs and three punts as the Falcons lost 21-17 to the Dolphins. Then it was a limo, a helicopter, a plane and another limo back to Three Rivers, where he arrived about 20 minutes before Game 5. He didn't play in the Braves' 7-1 loss.

"This is the sort of thing every kid dreams about," he says. "I'm a kid still."  

Alexi Lalas jumps the pond
June 10-11, 1995  

David Cannon/Allsport
Alexi Lalas, the guitar-strumming, Buffalo Bill-looking poster boy for U.S. soccer in the mid-'90s, certainly earned his caps this weekend. Lalas played a Saturday afternoon game for Italian club Padova before flying across the Atlantic and arriving at Foxboro Stadium just 45 minutes before a U.S. Cup game against Nigeria on Sunday. He played the second half, making a late game-saving clear in a 3-2 victory. "Some kind state trooper drove about 150 mph to get me here," Lalas said. "He scared the crap out of me, but I'm here. It was a good two days."

Two years later, U.S. star Earnie Stewart would top Lalas' feat by playing in a World Cup qualifier in Portland, Maine, and a First Division match in the Netherlands in less than 24 hours. Not only that, but Stewart scored the only goal for NAC Breda in its victory over Maastricht. 

As a basketball player, he's a heck of a fighter
June 15, 1996 

M. David Leeds/Allsport
Roy Jones Jr. has always had a problem finding a challenge. So, in the summer of 1996, he livened things up by playing in a USBL game in the afternoon and then defending his IBF super-middleweight title in the evening. The hoops may have taken a bit out of Jones, who needed 11 rounds to TKO Eric Lucas in the longest of his five fights since winning the belt in November 1994.

But by definition, basketball has to be the passion since Jones made about $300 a week with the Jacksonville Barracudas and about $1.5 million for beating up Lucas.

He scored five points in 14 minutes as the Barracudas beat the Treasure Coast Tropics 107-94. Oh, yeah, he had also played for the Barracudas the night before the fight. "I think Roy realizes now this wasn't the wisest thing to do," said one anonymous member of his entourage. 

Tony Stewart goes for a Sunday drive
May 30, 1999 

Craig Jones/Vincent Laforet/David Taylor/Allsport
We've all done the marathon road trip ... but few of us at 140 mph. Brash Winston Cup rookie Tony Stewart, fresh off an IRL championship, became the first -- and still only -- driver to complete the Indy 500 and Coca-Cola 600 on the same day. After a ninth-place finish at the Brickyard, Stewart flew to Charlotte and finished ninth at Lowe's Motor Speedway. All told, he drove 1,100 miles, making 2,384 left turns on 596 laps in less than 12 hours.

The downside? Dehydration and exhaustion. He complemented gallons of sports drink and water with two mini bagels and two bites of a nutrition bar, which he flung from his window when it became apparent it would be too hard to eat under his helmet.

"I drank so much, I swore I was a fish -- I thought I could breathe under water," he said. "But I didn't eat any solid foods with enough nutrients in it. How did I know? I'm not a nutritionist, I'm a race car driver." He vowed never to try it again ... but did in 2001.

For the record, John Andretti attempted the feat five years before Stewart, but did not complete the 600 because of a crash. Robby Gordon attempted it in 2000 but rain at Indianapolis washed out his attempt; a backup driver started the Coca-Cola 600 for Gordon.  

Your place and mine?
July 8, 2000 

Ezra Shaw/Allsport
In what would be a preview of the Subway Series nearly three months later, the New York Mets and New York Yankees staged the city's first home-and-home doubleheader since 1903, when the New York Giants and the Brooklyn Superbas turned the trick. Not only did it set the stage for the Series, a pair of 4-2 Yankees victories also set the tone when Roger Clemens gave Mike Piazza a concussion with a fastball to the nugget. The two would meet again in October, when Clemens would throw a jagged piece of bat in the very near proximity of the Mets catcher.

The first game also came with some intrigue as Mets fans watched manager Bobby Valentine get tossed in the first inning, then watched their beloved Doc Gooden beat the Mets in his first return to Shea Stadium.

With about 2 1/2 hours between games, both teams traveled with police escorts, with the Yanks allegedly travelling the 10 miles in 14 minutes. "We didn't have a car on the road," said Andy Pettitte. "We had a presidential escort today." It wouldn't be the last time New York's finest would clear the way for the Yanks, who got the better of the Mets again in the World Series.  

Go into the world, graduate, and hit that jump shot of life
May 20, 2001 

If nothing else, Vince Carter is really going to throw out of whack the average starting income figure for the University of North Carolina's class of 2001. In a world where so many athletes are criticized for not having dedication to education, the Toronto Raptors star took heat for going out of his way to attend his graduation.

Well, it was the morning of Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals. And the fact that Toronto lost by one point when Carter's 18-footer rimmed out at the buzzer only fueled the talk that he had spread himself too thin. His 20 points were 12 beneath his playoff average.

"I don't care," said Carter. "I don't let people's opinions hold me back. That's how I was raised. If I didn't feel I could attend graduation and play, I wouldn't have done it. The first few minutes I was winded. I was trying too hard."

Carter had flown to North Carolina on team owner Larry Tanenbaum's private plane and arrived at the campus about 8:30 a.m. He picked up his diploma and then left about 20 minutes into the ceremony. He arrived in Philadelphia more than five hours before game time. 



CNNSI   Copyright © 2001 CNN/Sports Illustrated. An AOL Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you. Read our privacy guidelines.