Sportsman of the Year
Life of Reilly
SI for Kids
SI Customer Service
SI Media Kits
Get into College
2. What nation has won every gold medal in Olympic baseball?
a. The United States
3. Of the following current Major Leaguers who did not play on the bronze medal-winning American Roster at the 1996 Atlanta Games?
a. Ben Grieve
b. Troy Glaus
c. Billy Koch
d. Kris Benson
4. Which Major League All-Star has not represented the United States in the Olympics?
a. Jason Giambi
b. Nomar Garciaparra
c. Todd Helton
d. Charles Johnson
5. Which Major Leaguer won a gold medal with the 1992 Cuban team?
a. Armando Reynoso
b. Orlando 'El Duque' Hernandez
c. Rafael Palmiero
d. Tino Martinez
6. When does the 'mercy rule' take affect in Olympic baseball?
a. With a team up by 10 runs at any point in the game
b. With a team up by 10 runs after five innings
c. With a team up by 10 after seven innings
d. There is no mercy rule in baseball
7. How far are the fences in women's Olympic Softball?
a. 200 feet
b. 250 feet
c. 300 feet
d. It varies, depending on the field
8. In the tenth inning of a game at the '96 Olympics, the U.S. led 1-0 and Lisa Fernandez was one pitch away from a perfect game. Australia's Joanne Brown hit the 0-2 pitch for a home run, ending the game and giving Australia a 2-1 victory. How?
a. The U.S. claimed Brown was using an illegal bat, then walked off the field when the protest was disallowed, resulting in a forfeiture
b. In Olympic softball, a runner can be put back on base if an umpire reverses a call before an out is made, thus the previous batter was put back on first and Brown's homer was a two-run shot
c. The ball traveled in excess of 350 feet which counts as two runs
d. In Olympic softball, if teams are tied after nine innings, the batting team starts with a runner at second, thus Brown's homer was a two-run homer
9. How are collisions avoided at first base in Olympic softball?
a. Batters are declared out if they don't run within the runner's line
b. There is a 'right of way' rule strictly adhered to by the umpire
c. There is an orange 'safety base' attached to first base for the batter to touch
d. They're not. If it happens, it's just part of the game
10. Due to the bizarre scheduling, when did China play the United States in the softball gold-medal game?
a. The day before they played Australia for the right to play in the finals
b. A half-hour after the game with Australia to qualify for the finals
c. Several days later, following the closing ceremonies
d. The next morning at noon, prior to the start of the baseball gold-medal game