Sportsman of the Year
Life of Reilly
SI for Kids
SI Customer Service
SI Media Kits
Get into College
Playing Politics Quiz
2. Why did Germany, Austria, Hungary, Bulgaria and Turkey not participate in the 1920 Antwerp, Belgium, Games?
a. They were banned as punishment for their athletes' rude behavior in the 1912 Games
b. They were banned as punishment for being the aggressors in World War I
c. They boycotted because of the presence of Czarist Russia
d. Their Olympic Committees were too late in filing paperwork to enter the games
3. At the 1936 Berlin Olympics, two runners (Sam Stoller and Marty Glickman) were pulled out of the 4x100 relay at the last minute, becoming the only U.S. trackmen not to compete. What is the reason believed to be behind the decision?
a. They were too slow against faster Dutch and German teams
b. They had broken curfew the night before
c. They had hidden injuries and were unable to effectively compete
d. They were Jewish
4. Which country did not boycott the 1956 Melbourne Games because of the Russian invasion of Hungary?
b. The Netherlands
5. Another boycott of the '56 Games was conducted by Egypt, Iraq and Lebanon in protest of the invasion of the Suez Canal by which nation?
b. The United States
d. Great Britain
6. American sprinters Tommie Smith and John Carlos were expelled from the 1968 Mexico City Games following what action on the medal stand?
a. Walked off medal stand in the middle of the national anthem
b. Refused to bend over to have their medals put around their necks
c. Raised a clenched fist, the 'Black Power' salute
d. Stripped off their medals and threw them into the crowd
7. What was the name of the terrorist group that broke into the Israeli compound at the '72 Munich Games and killed 11 Israeli athletes?
a. The P.L.O.
b. Abu Nidal
d. Black September
8. What sparked the boycott of the 1976 Montreal Games by 22 African nations and Guyana?
a. The re-entry of South Africa to the Olympic Games
b. The touring of New Zealand by a South African Rugby Team
c. The imprisonment of Nelson Mandela
d. The fixed re-election of the white minority in South Africa
9. The Russian invasion of what country inspired the Western Bloc boycott of the 1980 Moscow Games?
a. West Germany
d. The Ukraine
10. Because of military aggression against Croatia, what nation was not allowed to compete in team sports at the 1992 Barcelona Games?
b. The Soviet Union