Extra MustardSI On CampusFantasyPhoto GalleriesSwimsuitVideoFanNationSI KidsTNT
Back to Extra Mustard
A unique take on sports news, updated several times throughout the day.
6/04/2007 11:43:00 AM

Suddenly, a new contender has emerged

It was less than a week ago that we linked to last summer's tirade by Asheville Tourists manager Joe Mikulik, calling it "one of the great managerial meltdowns ever." Well, it might have been topped last Friday night by Mississippi Braves skipper Phillip Wellman. If you haven't already seen the video, do yourself a favor and watch it. Among other antics, Wellman completely covers home plate with handfuls of dirt and then draws a new (and larger) home plate; rips out third base and tosses it into center field; and rips out second base.

Still, that was just a warm-up for Wellman's crowning glory, when he crawled from second base to the mound on all fours like Rambo, picked up the rosin bag and -- after pulling an imaginary pin with his teeth -- tossed it like a grenade toward home plate umpire Brent Rice. Truly inspired insanity. Apparently, Wellman's mom even called him after the game to say she was very proud of him. (UPDATE: The Braves have suspended Wellman for three games.)
posted by SI.com | View comments |

Comments:

Posted: June 4, 2007 12:04 PM   by Anonymous
I was there at AT&T Field Friday night for the game.

All I can say....awesome. He got a standing "O" from the crowd. It was worth the price of admission alone.
Posted: June 4, 2007 1:17 PM   by Anonymous
What's with the covering up of the plates? Both Mikuluk and Wellman did the same thing. I guess they are saying the refs are so blind the plate might as well be invisible? Sorta funny that both classic meltdowns involved that though...
Posted: June 4, 2007 1:28 PM   by Anonymous
I didn't view the video yet, but was this a managerial meltdown, or a planned stunt to get some attention?

Why does baseball consistently put up with such antics? I don't think other sports would tolerate such unsportsmanlike behavior from their coaches. Imagine an NFL coach running on the field betwen plays, throwing the 10-yard markers around and ripping pads off the goalposts. I think security, referees, and players would all restrain him and prevent such a spectacle. Baseball is really desperate for attention.
Posted: June 4, 2007 1:31 PM   by Anonymous
I'd say Mikuluk's meltdown looks more like a "true" meltdown versus Wellman's "show". Welcome to the minor leagues though right. Can't fill the stands w/ just cheap tickets, cheap beer, cheap hotdogs and crazy between-inning games...have to create a media frenzy every once in a while to make it.
Posted: June 4, 2007 2:20 PM   by Anonymous
Pretty desperate, in my opinion. Who's ever heard of him, and the team, until now? Why adults are allowed to behave like spoiled children, obviusly for publicity, is beyond me. The fans cheering him are just as stupid. The fact that his Mom was "proud" pretty much explains his lack of class and maturity. A real bozo.
Posted: June 4, 2007 2:28 PM   by Anonymous
This story is equally interesting as those dealing with Paris Hilton going to jail.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
Posted: June 4, 2007 3:18 PM   by Anonymous
Why does this guy still have a job? It's one thing to argue calls, but this went above and beyond what's acceptable.

Besides, how is he getting away with throwing the bag at the umpire??? If there's no suspension for that alone, it was all set up....
Posted: June 4, 2007 3:46 PM   by Anonymous
from da boy vince

this was obviously all thought out by him before the game or a while ago. if that happened anywhere else besides pro baseball he would be suspended probably at least a year and maye in jail and fined. Thatas what happened to me.

Tony, tell Eva to stop calling me!
We're through, it was just a one night thing.
Posted: June 5, 2007 2:40 AM   by Anonymous
Wow, that was just...epic.
Posted: June 5, 2007 3:17 AM   by Anonymous
Uh huh . . . I had Polio as a child. So did my sister. They called her condition "infantile paralysis" since her legs would not work.

This video appears to be confirmed evidence of "infantile paralysis" of the brain.

There is no other explantion . . unless it would be another example of someone knowing they are in front of a crowd or on video calling attention to themselves.

If it was the latter (and not infantile paralysis) then self-immolation would have accomplished the same end with better results for society.
Posted: June 5, 2007 9:55 AM   by Anonymous
It would be humorous if it wasn't so ridiculously stupid. What did it accomplish? How can he ever tell a player to behave and act mature now? What an embarrassment.
Posted: June 5, 2007 12:44 PM   by Anonymous
What baffles me, is why isn't ownership of these teams embarrassed by the antics of this guy and Lou Pinella? Is this really who you want representing your organization and leading your teams? I have seen better behavior in a class of pre-schoolers with ADD...
Posted: June 5, 2007 3:34 PM   by Anonymous
Denny Green beat up a poor microphone not long ago, but for the most part football coach tirades are in interview form where they speak their mind after the game and get fined. From memory Joe Pa followed a ref and argued with him and Bill Cowher followed one stuffing a picture in his pocket, but I can't recall any coach tearing up the sidelines throwing ball boys on the field or the endzone markers into the stands. I know no coach has hurled the first down marker like a zula warrior. I think it is because the managers of baseball teams get to dress like their players that their minds decay in the dugout into that of an 8 year that isn't allowed to play teeball.
Let me hear from you

Beyond posting a comment, if you have a news tip or a link to a story or video clip that you think is interesting, please drop me a line. Or if you have a general question or comment, send that along too. You can email me here.

(One note on the blogger comments: The only rule is to keep it clean. No curse words, please. This is a family blog.)