Extra MustardSI On CampusFantasyPhoto GalleriesSwimsuitVideoFanNationSI KidsTNT
Back to Extra Mustard
A unique take on sports news, updated several times throughout the day.
6/04/2007 09:38:00 AM

We should have seen Cavs-Spurs coming

Not many NBA prognosticators were picking a Cavs-Spurs NBA Finals when the playoffs started. But one wise man foretold this more than 15 years ago -- Tor Akman.

Akman was the herbalist/healer who appeared in Episode 13 (The Heart Attack) of Seinfeld, which first aired on April 25, 1991. Akman also did time in prison, but as Kramer noted, that's only because the medical establishment tried to frame him. He was against hot water in the shower (for George) and too much dairy (for Jerry), but his real genius turns out to have been roundball. When Jerry asked Akman to decipher some scribblings he made when he awoke during a late-night TV movie, Akman laughed richly. "Oh, yes, yes," he says. "Cleveland 117, San Antonio 109." Jerry seemed dubious, but time has proved Akman right.

Of course, that score does seem high for today's NBA. And the tea that Akman whipped up for George did turn his face purple (like an eggplant) and send him to the hospital. Plus the note actually said, "Flaming globes of Sigmund." Then again, visionaries are often mocked in their own time. (Thanks to loyal 10 Spot reader Eric of St. Charles, Mo., for pointing this out.)
posted by SI.com | View comments |

Comments:

I remember going to a Cavs-Sixers game while a college student in Cleveland and overhearing a conversation between a child and his father in the row in front of me.

"Dad, do you think the Cavs will score 100 tonight?"

He shook his head.

I had to lean in and say that when I grew up, scoring 100 happened in the middle of the 4th quarter. He laughed hard.

I now sigh at the state of basketball.
Posted: June 4, 2007 12:19 PM   by Anonymous
The person in the TV was Larry David. One of his many appearances on the show.
Posted: June 4, 2007 3:32 PM   by captainbarky
I love it. Pete-I thought the same thing when the Cavs won their series. Sadly, my life revolves around Seinfeld and nearly anything that happens in life, I can somehow relate it back to a Seinfeld episode. I even found myself uttering the famous J. Peterman line, "Here's to a job done" after finishing a project that didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, much like Elaine's performance as the head of the company while Peterman was in Myanmar (although it will always be Burma to me). (What about my stock options? I think not)

In my opinion, "The Heart Attack" was the first great episode. Keep up the Seinfeld references, Pete!
Posted: June 4, 2007 4:09 PM   by Anonymous
from da boy vince

game1 Cleveland 89 San Antonio 83
g2 Cle 82 SA 91
g3 Cle 94 SA 89
g4 Cle 91 SA 90
g5 Cle 97 SA 102
g6 Cle 79 SA 83

i like it when my myspace freak roc yo hips
Posted: June 4, 2007 6:35 PM   by Anonymous
San Antonio vs. Cleveland

Can you say, "The NBA is one giant joke, only not a funny one."
Posted: June 5, 2007 3:33 PM   by Zach
Well considering Cavs are best team in the East with the best player in the league and San Antonio has been playing the best team basketball in the league the last third of the season and playoffs, I'm not surprised. If LBJ is the only Cav that shows up, Spurs in 5.
If his cast shows up, aka Larry Hughes, Boobie, Sasha, Z, then Cavs in 6
Let me hear from you

Beyond posting a comment, if you have a news tip or a link to a story or video clip that you think is interesting, please drop me a line. Or if you have a general question or comment, send that along too. You can email me here.

(One note on the blogger comments: The only rule is to keep it clean. No curse words, please. This is a family blog.)