Extra MustardSI On CampusFantasyPhoto GalleriesSwimsuitVideoFanNationSI KidsTNT
Daily ListBack to Extra Mustard
We rank 'em. You react. That's how the Daily List rolls.
5/24/2007 11:24:00 PM

The five worst things in sports

Oakland Arena
Michael Vick seems to often be in the news for the wrong reasons.
Photo by Heinz Kluetmeier, SI
By Jimmy Traina, SI.com

In Wednesday's edition of Hot Clicks, we linked to a story from the San Diego Union Tribune's Nick Canepa, who listed the 10 worst things in sports. Outside of the BCS, I didn't agree with any of Canepa's choices. So I thought I'd offer mine and give you guys a chance to send in yours. Without further ado, the five worst things in sports ...

5. The blotter has overtaken the box score: People much smarter than me are trying to figure out why athletes are getting in trouble at a ridiculous pace, so I’ll leave the psychology aspect of this phenomenon to them. But as a fan, it’s just depressing that we don’t discuss the games and the players' on-field talents as much as we discuss how many times someone has been arrested. Just over the past several weeks, this is what sports fans have to hear about: Pacman Jones, Tank Johnson, Josh Hancock, Elijah Dukes and Michael Vick. One hard-to-fathom story after another.

4. Two weeks off between conference title games and the Super Bowl: Not much to say here. It’s painful not to have football for a week and it’s even more painful to listen to the never-ending hype for the big game. It's one of the worst weeks on the sports calendar.

3. NFL, MLB can’t get TV deals done right: I’m fortunate enough to have DirecTV, so I’m all set with the NFL package. But whenever I talk to an NFL fan who doesn’t have DirecTV, they’re always quick to complain about the fact that the Sunday Ticket isn’t offered on cable. And while MLB barely avoided that scenario at the beginning of this season, there are still way too many games, for a variety of reasons (blackout rules, teams that have exclusive deals with cable companies in their home market) that don’t get shown on Extra Innings. It would make sense, that if you pay for the Extra Innings package, you should get EVERY game. Would Fox’s 3:55 Saturday afternoon ratings really be affected that much if there were a couple of 1 o’clock games on Extra Innings?

2. The media’s obsession with Barry Bonds: I’m well aware of Bonds’ faults. I’m reminded of them approximately every two seconds. But guess what? Bonds is not responsible for every problem in the free world. And guess what else? If he did use steroids (gotta put in “if” for the Time Inc. lawyers), he wasn’t the only one. But since he’s breaking the home run record (and has a big head -- have you heard that knee-slapper?), he’s the one who has to be taken down. Or is it because he’s always been a jerk to the media? Hmmm. Either way, the vendetta seems a tad over the top and the story never changes, even the part where Major League Baseball still can’t prove that Bonds did anything illegal. Yet, Bonds and steroids has been the No. 1 storyline for about three seasons now. I know he’s about to break sports’ most revered record, but do we really need constant analysis of where Bud Selig and Hank Aaron should be when Bonds hits No. 756? Does anyone really care that much, especially since we’ve been told over and over that Bonds’ record is tainted? If it’s so tainted and fake, why discuss it ad nauseum?.

1. Cost of going to a game: No matter what sport you want to see live, be prepared to break the bank. The regular, Average Joe, middle class person doesn't get any breaks. And if you’re a parent with a couple of kids, good luck. Sure, some teams hold discount nights, and seats in the worst possible part of stadiums and arena can be had for cheap, but if you want to sit in a decent seat -- not great, decent --, you’re gonna pay. Everytime I go to a game, I think of that memorable scene in Goodfellas when Henry described how things worked with the guy who sold Paulie the restauant. "Business bad? F--- you, pay me. Had a fire? F--- you, pay me." "The place got hit by lightning? F--- you, pay me." That's exactly how being at a game is these days, just add "a totally unfair and exhorbitant amout" after "pay me." You hear the owners says, "Need a ticket? F--- you, pay me.” Want a beer or soda? F--- you, pay me.” Need to park your car? F--- you, pay me. This site (albeit with 2006 figures), details exactly how much it costs to see a game in various sports. The numbers, like the previous four items I mentioned on this list, are depressing.

Those are my worst things in sports. What are yours?
posted by SI.com | View comments |

Comments:

Posted: May 25, 2007 10:39 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The market determines prices, people are willing to pay those amounts so the teams charge it. If the price is too high then don't go, stay home and watch on TV. If enogh people stop going and there are enogh empty seats then owners will drop prices, but people will not stay away if a team is doing good.(Supply and Demand)
Posted: May 25, 2007 11:04 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
It's good to see someone call out the media on their coveage of Bonds. You'd think the guy murdered a small village. Good for you.
Posted: May 25, 2007 11:04 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Your last two items are brilliant. Well done!
Posted: May 25, 2007 11:05 AM   by Anonymous JoeMoney
I'm not a Bonds fan and I'm not from SanFran, but I'm so glad you wrote what you did. The media loves to tell us about steroids all the time when there isn't anything new to say. It's a joke.
Posted: May 25, 2007 11:10 AM   by Anonymous Steve
I went to a Yankees game a few weeks ago. For me and my two sons, it cost me over $400. I probably won't go to a game the rest of the season. Good list.
Posted: May 25, 2007 11:23 AM   by Anonymous HueyTheMan
You should've included umpiring and referees on this list. Officiating is as bad as ever and it's ruining a lot of games.
Posted: May 25, 2007 11:28 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Great use of Goodfellas!
Posted: May 25, 2007 11:34 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
God Bless America during the seventh inning stretch.
Posted: May 25, 2007 11:55 AM   by Anonymous Philly
I agree with your list, especially NFL Sunday Ticket availability on cable...shame on the NFL. Here's my list...
1. Never ending complaining about officals...yes calls are missed but players/coaches are far from perfect.
2. NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament where 1% of the fans at the game are college students...oh subtract the bands and cheerleaders and it's less than 1%.
3. SportsCenter - it used to be a really good show.
4. Hype preceeding any big event.
5. Pay-Per View!!!!!
Posted: May 25, 2007 11:55 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The destruction of ESPN.
Posted: May 25, 2007 11:56 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
You sounds like you hate sports. Get another job.
Posted: May 25, 2007 11:57 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
your article made me think. the only peopel i ever hear talk about bonds are the media. i never hear fans talk about him.
Posted: May 25, 2007 11:57 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
the biggest problem isn't the 2 weeks off before the super bowl. it's that we have to work the day after the super bowl. this is the real problem that needs to be fixed.
Posted: May 25, 2007 11:57 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The cost of the game one is true, but not for baseball. It's the most affordable of all the major sports. Sure, if you are in places like NY or Boston on a weekend, it will be nearly impossible to get affordable tickets, but in vast majority of towns you can still get a decent seat at a weeknight game for $20.

Bonds is a cheater and everyone knows it. If he would have admitted it, things including his coverage in the media would have been alot different.

As to the worst things in sports:

1. Bad officiating. There's nothing worse than games getting decided by horrible calls. Replay has helped some in football, but officials have far too much impact on games with bad penalty calls.

2. Drawn out seasons/playoffs. The NBA is the worst in this regard. There is no reason for the NBA playoffs to be this long. First game on a Sunday or Monday and then the next game not until Thursday? It's a joke. Baseball again has it right in playoffs, mostly because pitching rest dictates it. Their regular season is too long, but changing that would have too much impact on statistics, something too important to baseball.

3. Excuses for cheating. Athletes caught taking illegal drugs say "I had no idea there were steroids in that" or "someone gave me a cream by accident". I have less respect for these people than those who actually fess up and say "yeah, I did it and screwed up".

4. East coast bias. I've lived on both coasts and yes, it still exists. No one was calling for a change to the NBA lottery system when Portland got the 4th pick despite having the worst record. But when it happens to Boston, the system must be changed. And there's alot of good baseball happening outside of NY and Boston, but you'd hardly know it when those two teams play each other.

5. Stadium shakedowns. It goes something like, "build me this stadium/arena with a few hundred million in public taxes or I'll move the team". Enough. The players are getting millions and owners get millions when they sell their teams. Build your own palaces.
Posted: May 25, 2007 11:59 AM   by Anonymous BrewCrewFan
Here's what I don't understand about steroids/Bonds: How come the media doesn't work as hard to bust other players? Clearly the majority of these guys were on something during that era. Why do we only hear about Bonds? Makes you wonder.
Officials might be bad sometimes, but overall, they are just tyring to do the jobs they love. It's not like they're getting paid much. We wouldn't even need officials if players were honest to admit when they've screwed up.
Posted: May 25, 2007 12:47 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Encroachment of non-sporting activities into the sporting world. Poker is NOT a sport! Eating hot dogs is NOT a sport! Ballroom dancing is NOT a sport!
As far as athletes and the police blotter goes, I don't think its any worse now than it has ever been. I can't help but wonder if, before free agency, the police would simply look the other way. There wasn't as much transparency then, and a lot of those athletes were huge in their particular towns. Now, with no real loyalty to anyone one place, the police don't have to worry about becoming pariahs if they arrest the big hero.
Posted: May 25, 2007 1:31 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I can't understand why anyone would want to go to a game anymore. If you have a decent HDTV, it's like being there. It doesn't cost $100 a ticket to get a seat you don't have be a contortionist to sit in and which doesn't have an I-beam in front of it (Fenway is my "home park"), $5 for a hotdog, $4 for a bottle of water, and $40 to park your car. At home, you also aren't surrounded by a bunch of drunken idiots who are cursing everything going on during the game. If you've got a couple of kids, you can buy the HDTV for the cost of seeing 3 games at the park.

It is all about supply and demand, and people are still paying whatever the teams want, so the prices won't go down. But, other than to say you've been there, to see how nice the grass looks, and to get drunk, there's no point in going to a game anymore.
Posted: May 25, 2007 1:40 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Congrats on having the guts to call out your peers on Bonds. Having read this magazine for years I perceive that the writers all gathered together to lambast him whenever they could. It seems to go back to when he snubbed Rick Reilly for an interview quite a few years ago and he's never gotten over that.
Granted Bonds is not the warmest guy or most intriguing interviewee but does get old reading repeatedly about really petty stuff that one of SI's writers come up with.
Posted: May 25, 2007 1:40 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
2 words...ticket brokers! Talk about legalizing the once illegal practice of ticket scalping! These businesses should rot in hell!
Posted: May 25, 2007 1:57 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Celebrity interviews during a game (as if they have something important or even pertinent to say)
Posted: May 25, 2007 2:01 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
NBA officiating. The worst of any major sport, including the WWE.
Posted: May 25, 2007 2:30 PM   by Anonymous Matt
The worst thing in sports is Joe Buck.
Posted: May 25, 2007 2:35 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1. The NBA.
2. The cost of attending any major sporting event; I've got 3 kids, 1-2 MLB games is it for us, depsite how much we love the game.
3. Officiating across-the-board; too many blown calls in big games.
4. The World Poker Tour; what's the point?
5. All NFL pre-game shows. Who cares what Jerry Jones has to say every single week?
My list of five worst things in football only:

5. Roughing the passer has gotten too strict - We need a 5-yard penalty for "Illegal contact with the passer," for stuff that is against the rules but clearly not intentional. Reserve the 15 yards and auto 1st down for the dirty hits.
4. Offensive pass interference in the NFL is too costly - I like the college rule better, 15 yards. I see why the NFL does it that way, but it's lame to see a 30+ yard penalty just cuz the incidental contact got a little out of hand. Again, maybe award the full penalty if it's really egregious, but otherwise 15 yards is plenty.
3. No instant replay on pass interference - Let the coaches use their challenge if they want. And while we're at it, same goes for all the other so-called "judgment calls." *All* calls are judgment calls, even TD-or-no-TD (if half a dozen molecules of the football break the plane, how is the ref supposed to know that?)
2. BCS - So let me get this straight... coaches and the media get to VOTE to see who goes to the championship?? UMMMM.... I thought this was a SPORTS competition, not a popularity contest!
1. Fantasy Football - It's a naive and one-dimensional way of viewing a beautiful cerebral team sport. Left tackle is the 2nd highest paid position in the sport (because it's so important), and they aren't even represented in FF! If you want to fantasize about owning a football team, go buy Madden. FF encourages a lazy and stupid approach to the game, and I despise it.
Posted: May 25, 2007 2:48 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The very worst thing in sports is not unique to sports. It is prevalent wherever celebrity runs afoul of the law. We send the wrong message in the worst way to millions of children each time one of these bazillion-dollar-a-year idiots gets caught doing something that should land them in jail and they get off with next to nothing.
Posted: May 25, 2007 3:31 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The one think I think is the worst in sports is when media types refer to basketball as a "contact" sport. Rugby is a contact sport, football is a contact sport, MMA is a contact sport. BASKETBALL IS NOT A CONTACT SPORT!! There are rules in force when contact is made, and unfortunately those rules have been left by the wayside because of guys like Charles Barkley, Shaquille O'Neal, and to a lesser extent Bruce Bowen. At what point growing up do we tell our kids to just run into people to get to the rim, or hammer guys to the ground so they can't? Hockey has it right, open the game up, get the scores back into the 110-120 range and people will watch the NBA again
Posted: May 25, 2007 3:32 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The cost of games is the worst. I understand supply and demand, but that doesn't mean I can't complain about it. I live in New England, which is in the top five in cost of a game for every major sport. For regular yahoos just paying for themselves, it isn't that bad, but if you have two kids, like me, taking your sons to a baseball game can break the bank. Used to go to Montreal, it was very cheap to see MLB. Now, three words - Minor League Baseball.
Posted: May 25, 2007 3:34 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Those of you who are complaining about the ticket prices have no concept of basic economics. You want your team to have the best players and the best facilities, but apparently aren't willing to shell out the cash for them. And besides, many teams still, in spite of the ticket prices, lose money year after year. If you want the lowest ticket prices, expect the worst team and the worst stadium.
Posted: May 25, 2007 3:37 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I am glad someone is complaining about blackout dates and DirectTV . I will give you a prime example.I live in Florida but I am a huge redsox fan just a few weeks ago they were playing the Atlanta Braves on DirectTv or TBS or wherever they were on Television that day. I tuned into the NESN channel no game is on, I tuned into TBS no game at all. I also thought fox game of the week no sox game .Absolutely no game on TV.There were no Baseball games on directTV at all for my area I have to assume the whole state of Florida because of a 1:OO PM blackout . This is totally ridiculous can someone explain this stupid foolish rule again the Fans get penalized . I want my money back!!!!!
Posted: May 25, 2007 3:42 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
If two weeks before a superbowl is bad, how about 50 days before the end of a College football season and the National Championship game?
Posted: May 25, 2007 3:45 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Front-running fans, drunken loudmouths in the stands, media hype over a player's potential over their production and too many playoff teams(NBA & NHL).
Posted: May 25, 2007 3:59 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1. The zillionaire NFL's lack of concern for retired players. Upshaw is a joke and until Gridiron Greats started up, he was happy to do next to nothing.

2. The sports media sanctimoniously complaining about Bonds when they knew who was using all along and kept quiet.

3. The pitiful care the NFL and the team gives to rookies from horrible backgrounds. Take Tank Johnson for instance. A young man who came from a background of poverty, violence and parental abandonment is supposed to realize he should dump an old buddy who signified to him care and concern just because he was given a brief class by the NFL as a rookie? If you want to demonize these guys, walk in their shoes. They needed a lot more support BEFORE they got into trouble. Yes, they were wrong, but they were not prepared for fame and wealth because they were useful.
Posted: May 25, 2007 4:23 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I would add the fact that replays of close plays cannot be shown to the fans at major league baseball games. Thanks to the good old umpires and their union.
Posted: May 25, 2007 4:27 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
the worst thing in sports is that u have to buy a liscence in order to buy nfl tickets. the tickets themselves are hard enough to get. now we have to buy liscences to be allowed to get them.
Posted: May 25, 2007 4:40 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I absolutely abhor sports lists.
Posted: May 25, 2007 4:41 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Your #1 is my #1. And supply and demand has NOTHING to do with the argument. All 4 major sports now have minimum salary expenditures. Not market dictated. Contractually mandated with the unions. So my number 1a is Pro Sports Unions. Why the hell do they need a union? Is there a potential for sweat shop conditions, if the union does not exist? The only thing I have seen unions do, in the past 30 years, is escalate salaries to a point that Jimmy and I think it is the #1 problem, and help hide the steroid use that allows a guy like Bonds to break the records. Salaries are just absurd, and that dictates pricing of seats, hot dogs, etc. Why do barely literate idiots who outwardly condone dog fighting get paid $10 million, while grammar school teachers get $30,000? Why are police and fire fighters paid $40,000 while idiots disparaging women in their raps songs get paid several million to play triple A baseball? You want to talk about supply and demand? Void all contracts, and give the 4 major sports leagues back their anti-trust exemption. Then, and only then, will supply and demand actually apply to the prices we are blackmailed with, inprofessional sports.
The refutation to your non-economic argument is an economic one. Your schoolteacher doesn't attract hundreds of thousands of fans to a ballpark/stadium/etc. He doesn't make his school millions and millions of dollars. The sports star does, and he/she should rightfully expect a piece of that action.
Posted: May 25, 2007 6:20 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
This list can go on forever, so I'll try to keep it simple:
The DH: either you're a ballplayer, or you're not. David Ortiz is A BATTER, the logic beingm when a guy can hit like that, we don't need his glove...this leads to:
Too many teams...in ALL sports The talent pool is watered down, half the guys playing professionally now would never be able to if there were fewer teams, and we wouldn't have to hear all that "small market" whining either. If you can't support a team, you obviously don't need one.
ESPN...ESPN....ESPN..
the ruination of sports. Want to know why athletes act like idiots on the field? So they can make SPORTSCENTER. So we get all manner of chest bumping, "not in our hopuse" stupidity, right down to the high-school level, (because they see their heroes do it) running and pointing at themselves when they make a tackle..you know, the thing they get overpaid to do.....
Posted: May 25, 2007 7:01 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The decline of ESPN, by far! 1.SportsCenter used to be entertaining because the emphasis was on the games. Now it's on the personalities. For every good analyst like a Barry Melrose or Tom Jackson, there are 2 bad ones like Shaun Saulsbury! Can Shaun Saulsbury get through one sentence about a player without telling us what that person "brings to the table?" Easily the most overused term on ESPN. Get original! The same goes for the anchors-they all have to have their own little catchphrases- just show us the clips already!
2. I love football, but there is too much emphasis of it on ESPN. I don't care what the Ravens or Jaguars are doing in the middle of March! The decline in popularity of the NHL for example can be somewhat attributed to ESPN. ESPN decided not to renew the hockey contract, not the other way around. The NHL had no choice but to go to Versus, where no one can see it! And since it is no longer on ESPN, there are subsequently no highlights on SportsCenter unless there's a fight. I'm not a big hockey fan, but I enjoy seeing highlights/hearing news about all of our sports, not just football!
3. Get rid of Stephen A. Smith!! No talent whatsoever who just likes to hear himself talk. Knows nothing outside of the NBA and maybe a little NFL.
Posted: May 25, 2007 9:32 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I'm going to have to agree to the first part of the economic arguuement. There are times when franchise owners make millions upon millions. There are times that they lose the same. Ask about half the hockey teams and a good portion of baseball and basketball teams. And there is always a risk involved. Players never share the burden of that risk. IF they did, then maybe they should be looking for a piece of the pie, but recognize that the pie might have lost millions before they got there. And it can't be supply and demand if there is a mandated minimum. I don't doubt that players are entitled to high salaries, because they are entertainers. But when mediocre players get 7 figure contracts, there is somethign terribly wrong.
Posted: May 26, 2007 1:53 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
5. the media's obsession with terrell owens.
4.celebrity shoutouts during actual important games. ie."it is the top of the 3rd inning of the world series. oh look who is sitting behind home plate.simon cowell, star of American idol."
3.barry bonds-i like him and a big fan. but what team does he play for?
2.the media, especially espn, acting as if the ufc was just created yesterday.
1.the coddling of brett favre and roger clemens. they are not playing to win. they are playing only to boost their stats.
Posted: May 26, 2007 2:03 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
when did horses become athletes?

as someone else said. espn's 12 month 365 day coverage of the nfl has taken away from over sports, specifically the nhl. i really dont care about the detroit lions in MAY!!!!
Never been to Fenway, it's a dream of mine, but what the heck is "Fried Dough" and why on God's grean earth does it cost $5, LOL?

Yes, the price of going to sports events is asinine which is probably why Minor League Baseball is getting more popular with people, i.e. those in metropolises which have both choices...
Posted: May 26, 2007 4:19 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
media timeouts are the worst things in sports
The NHL on Versus. How can B. Melrose work for a station that doesnt due games.
Posted: May 26, 2007 10:31 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The five worst things in sports:
5: Professional Athletes moonlighting as professional criminals.
4: NASCAR's top 35 points rule.
3: The guy who decided poker was a spectator sport.
1:Tie: Pete McEntegart and Tony Kornheiser
Yes, "tainted and fake" is an excellent description of Bonds' impending placement in the record books. And *I* am not making a big deal of it. I'm not writing the stories. I'm not reading them. I simply will never buy another ticket to a MLB game if the League doesn't grow a spine and shut this farce down. As the previous poater said, the market determines prices. If there are enough fans lie me in "the market," the league will eventially realize their error (just how long did it take to recover from the 1994 strike?)
Posted: May 26, 2007 12:31 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
from da boy vince

the 5 worst things i didn't hear yet
5.media hype
4.no replay in baseball or basketball
3.hockey and horse racing
2.certain rules
1.New York

I got it
Posted: May 26, 2007 1:58 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
i have to say im tired of listening to people complaing about referees and how bad their decisions are...i very highly doubt that any of the complainers could do it any better. i used to complain about baseball umpires till i umpired myself, and its a whole lot harder than you would first expect it to be: so thats the one thing that really annoys me in sports!
I learned to read by reading the sports section. I learned about math through sports. I have been a sports fan for most of my life. But my relationship with sports (especially pro sports) has become more complex. I find it harder to justify my enthusiasm, especially for pro sports. Reasons include:

1) The jurisprudence column in the sports section is longer than the game summaries.
2) Performance enhancing drugs still too pervasive. Owners have been too hesitant to act.
3) Players run the zoo in the NBA. I love college hoops. But the NBA game has become unwatchable for me.
4) Contract hold outs and contract renegotiations.
5) The pervasiveness of corporate money at the stadium, arena or rink. Owners cater to their top (read: corporate) customers at the expense of average fans.
Let me one more item to my list:

6) TV broadcasts have become bloated and boring. In a three person booth, at least one is extraneous. Sideline or dugout reporters add nothing. Producers spend more time looking for celebrities or parents or girlfriends in the crowd than following the action. TV timeouts every five minutes (gotta sell more cars and beer!). It seems like the action on the field is there to interrupt the commercials.
Posted: May 26, 2007 7:28 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I think athletes have gotten too soft. If they don't get a foul called they complain. If they get beaned they cry about it. If a receiver drops a pass because the croner lays a finger on him he's looking for a flag. They are not tough at all, and I think that may go for our society as a whole. Also, the coverage on Bonds is rediculous. He's never been tested positive for anything, so you can't have an asterisk or erase his records. If they find he did use performance enhancers, it was not illegal at the time, so it shouldn't matter. You can ask any athlete, and if they tell you the truth, over 90% will say enhancers are not a big deal. It's mostly sportswriters and people with no athletic ability that have problems with it.
Posted: May 26, 2007 9:04 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Things that bother me in sports.

5. Racial profiling. I don't care what color the guys skin is. All i want tot know is if the guy can hit .326, or average 30 points, or rush for 1300 yards. I don't need to know the ethnic breakdown of every sport.

4. Not enough fan interaction. I really hate to bring up soccer here, but could you imagine a Sox-Yanks game, or a Cubs-Cardinals game with the same intensity of a European soccer rivalry. I'm talking about constent chanting and screaming. Its sports, have a good time already.

3. Flip-Floppers. Also known as band-wagon hoppers. Take ESPN for example. One week Rex Grossman was the best quarterback in the league, the next he's the worst. Either you think the guy can play or you don't. Make up your mind and stick with your decision.

2. Biases based on speculation of steroids. The same guys who loved Mark McGuire and wrote about him while he played didn't vote him into the Hall of Fame because of speculation that he took steroids. Just because some nut-job wrote a book about steroids knowing that it would sell so he could make a living after his career was over. In my eyes Sammy Sosa is a sure-fire Hall of Famer. The only thing people have to say about him is that he got big. So did a lot of guys in the 90's.

1. People who boo their own team. The one thing that really gets me going is when "fans" boo their team because they made a mistake. True fans do not boo their team. They stand by the team. I don't care if you say a guy is bad when the guy actually is bad, but don't boo the team for something they did on the field.
Posted: May 26, 2007 9:18 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Worst things in sports:

5. Certain announcers (you know who they are), especially those who talk too darn much and seem compelled to tell us every bit of trivia they can come up with. Add to that the interviews of managers in dugouts DURING A GAME!!! Why can't we just watch the doggone game and get these guys' thoughts about it later?
4. The incredible fines levied by the NBA for criticizing officials. I guess the 1st Amendment doesn't apply to the NBA.
3. The recent apparent inclusion of poker as a sport.
2. Too many guys with opinions about what a manager or coach should have done in the heat of battle. How many of these guys have the credentials to really second guess like they do (and of course they do it with the benefit of hindsight)?
1. Too much money. Sure, I know there's the simple law of supply and demand, but it doesn't take away from the fact that athletes are being paid way too much, and for what? So guys like LeBron can build a 35,000 square foot home?
Posted: May 27, 2007 12:58 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
anywhere refs suck...in my high school game my team ost a chance to go to state because of some dumbass ref. ESPN is BA. And having a HDTV is not the same as going to a game. Move to KC where the royals suck so they have good deals, or go to minor league games. those are fun and cheap
Posted: May 27, 2007 1:33 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The worst things in sports? The obsessive and constant TV coverage of teams like the Yankees, the Cowboys, and the Lakers. On a more granular level, the attention paid to superstars on losing teams. On the flip side, the complete disregard for small market winners like the Jazz, Seahawks, and pick any mid-western baseball team other than St. Louis...
Posted: May 27, 2007 4:28 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Great list btw. The last two, though I definitely understand the economics of ticket prices, were excellent. Calling the media out on Bonds is something people need to step up and do.

5. The NFL obsession - there are a lot of good things going on in baseball and tennis, etc. right now and no one's talking about it.
4. Exploitation of amateurs - one of the worst things in sports, especially NCAA football and basketball. These schools make MILLIONS off these players, but they're just supposed to be happy to be there. And you complain when these kids want to go to the NBA.
3. Fans complaining about the refs- The only reason people believe officiating is worse than its ever been is because Sportscenter plays these clips 1000000 times and makes it the biggest deal and its sensationalized. They have a tough job and do waht they can--there'll be some bad calls.
2. Fans saying the NBA is terrible- Listen to Barkley, they NBA has more talent now than it has EVER had. The great young players and great teams are much better than they have EVER been. Its fashionable to believe its all "thugs" and "one on one players" and "no one cares" but its just not true. You see TMac cry after his game 7 loss? You think t hese guys don't work infinitely harder than you.
1. The Media- Have ruined sports in so many ways. The obsession on negative stories like the police blotter, TO, Bonds, Clemens, Favre, etc. have ruined all the good things in sports. Its the reason why fans think sports are bad today, because the media sensationalizes these things and makes them the big story. They pick their enemies (Bonds) and attack them at every turn, they pick their friends (Favre) and defend them. The media, especially ESPN, has taken control and ruined sports in so many ways. Just turn it off and look at blogs and stuff for yourself guys.
(1) Joe Morgan announcing baseball games
(2) The de-evolution of the NBA into a rugby scrum
(3)Whining about refs and close calls
(4)All the tickets to big games that go to corporate sponsors instead of REAL fans
(5) ESPN "experts" that think they are the final authority on everything
(6)Media over-hype of "personalities" instead of performers/producers
Posted: May 27, 2007 7:27 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous

2. Sports and winning at sports isn't the be-all, end-all to life. So what if players and owners make a ton of money at the expense of the fan. It's only because the fan sees sports as the end-all, be-all to their life that they can be used the way they are.

3. Quit looking to atheletes to be role models. Many will disappoint you, just like anyone else in any other occupation...Quick, name one occupation where all the employees are role models? By the way, I think that it is insane that anyone would look to someone in their 20's as a role model. It's just not very realistic, although we are at times pleasantly surprised, e.g., LeBron James.

4. Officials do their best, just like atheletes. And just like atheletes, they too make mistakes. Give them a break.

5. Folks must have more money than economists think or how else could we afford the costs of all these sporting events, salaries, etc. The economy must be doing just fine.
Posted: May 27, 2007 7:41 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I can't believe this hadn't made anyone's list yet. I hate late starting times for sporting events on tv. I live in the eastern time zone so the 8:30-9:00 PM starts for Monday Night Football or the World Series will kep me up well past midnight to catch the end of the game. The reason they start late? So the west coast doesn't miss the start. The commercial sponsors want thier spots shown to the big cities out west. A 9:00 PM start here is a 6:00 start out west. They may miss the first few minutes getting home from the 9-5 commute, but the game is over before bedtime.What ever happened to the afternoon World Series games that I've heard stories of kids sneaking radios to school to catch? People here have complained about an east coast bias when dealing with the teams that are shown, but there is a definite west coast bias when it comes to the time on which the teams will be seen.
Posted: May 27, 2007 1:10 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Performance enhancing drugs. This is a no brainer, it has all but destroyed the Tour de France, casts a cloud over every Olympics and is making a mockery of Baseball's Hall of Fame.

This problem will never go away, but it can be controlled. The NFL has made a good faith effort to police itself, while Baseball has not.
Posted: May 27, 2007 1:38 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The worst thing in sports are the KC Royals, who each year are out of the race before the end of May.
Posted: May 27, 2007 1:45 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
my biggest beef is that we are forced to only watch baseball, football, basketball, hockey and nascar. There's some great sports out there and we never get to experience them.

Scott
Posted: May 27, 2007 2:45 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
5. The Dallas Cowboys--They're not America's team, they're dirty. Have been since Newton, and Erik Williams and Roy Williams carries on the tradition.
4. Hockey--The strike messed everything up, and it's not big enough to recover like baseball did.
3. Holdouts--I though under contract meant under contract. Why arent these whiny babies put in jail for 30 days like a normal person would be for breech of contract.
2. The Browns drafting Brady Quinn--The unspoken rule is if a QB can't get it in 3 years he won't. Frye had 1 year and they drafted a supposed "franchise QB". A very inaccurate, choke in big games QB, instead of drafting talent to put around a QB who had more passes bounce off of receivers hand than anybody I've ever seen.
1. New York Yankees--This team symbolizes everything that is bad in pro sports nowadays. They pay rediculous amounts of money to players and allow them to travel with the team at their leisure. Everyone knows who I mean. Similar stuff has been in NY for years. People like Javon Walker, TO, and many others grow up watching this stuff and think they're supposed to get it to. That's how you get all the rediculous contract hold outs like Lance Briggs who was only offered how many MILLION FREAKING DOLLARS to play one season. Disgusting!!!
Posted: May 27, 2007 3:16 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Pre-season rankings. A team is 0-0 and is ranked #1. Its resume' is built on beating other 1-0 and 2-0 teams... if a football team loses its only game by 45 Sept 1, they are ranked higher than a team that loses its only game by a FG in Nov.???

Phantom fouls called against marginal NBA defenders guarding All-Stars. If a dunker is going to the hoop, a whistle will soon follow. See Kobe.

NYY vs BOS... when was the last time the Yankees won it all? I guess they don't play baseball in Detroit, Cleveland, LA. If your team makes the playoffs, and your team is not NYY, then you can just assume that you'll have to leave work early to hear the game on the radio, since NYY will be on prime time FOX for the next 2 weeks. In case you didn't know, Joe Buck loves Derek Jeter...

Delayed pass interference calls after an all-pro WR, throws his hands in the air signalling for a penalty.

Unbalanced revenue in the MLB, especially in the AL. Do you think KC, TB, SEA ever have a chance?

Unbalanced schedule in MLB. Hmmm... Cubs vs WSox or STL vs KC, there's 5 wins for STL. Sucks during wild card chase. Gotta love that Colorado/KC blood feud, too.

Owners who overpay and drive up the market price for one year wonders. Angels give up on Jeff Weaver, he gets a few wins in STL, then Seattle gives hime a huge raise. Next pitcher comes along and claims to be owed more than Weaver... well no kidding. See Pavano, Suppan, Beltre, Sexson.
Posted: May 28, 2007 1:24 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
It may not be the worst thing in sports, but the NHL's system of giving a team a point for losing in overtime may be the dumbests. Of course, if you're a Canadiens fan, who won 2 more games than the Islanders but were left out of the playoffs because they didn't have a knack for losing in overtime, it is probably one of the worst.
Posted: May 28, 2007 8:53 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Baseball all star game - it is special and the focus should be on the players - so it is the one and only game i support the DH - and how about limited re-substitutions like high school - that way you don't run out of players; add a few more pitchers or have a dudden death home run derby after 10 innings - take the do or die out of the result and let the players and fans have fun.
Posted: May 28, 2007 11:26 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
There are several things wrong with sports in my mind.

First of all, I will not complain about ticket prices, because, like many have said, it is our fault. One person up there said it is NOT supply and demand, but because there are minimum salary requirements for each league. That may be true, but the minimum requirements are around $300,000 to $500,000 (figures may be off a little) depending on what league. But look at the average player salary; it is much much more than that. The majority of players make exponentially more than that because the owner KNOWS he can offer it, because he KNOWS he can afford it through price gouging the games and still getting the desired attendance.

I didn't want to come up with a full list of things, but here are 2 that have been mentioned.

ESPN: it has gone down hill the past few years. Not only do I get, in one afternoon (right behind each other: OTL, Jim Rome, Around The Horn, PTI, and finally Sportscenter, but they all talk about THE SAME THING with absolutely nothing new to say about it. ESPN 'experts' offer what they believe are stone cold facts, when in fact everything they say is an opinion (which seems to be wrong much more these days, but that just may be me) and the actual game has taken a backseat to the personalities, and other entertainment values on the show.

The Wait before the BCS Championship Game: You think two weeks before the most hyped game is bad? The regular season ends end of November/beginning of December, and the most important bowl games aren't played for another month; with the biggest being the last. Why on earth would a sport, at the height of its popularity within the season (end of season, conf. championships, controversy among ratings) all of sudden take 2-3 weeks off for ALL bowl games to begin, and a month for the biggest ones to begin. By that time, the NFL has heated up and the passion for College Football has cooled off a bit. Take away that 2-3 break and have the game at least 2 weeks after the last regular season game. I believe it will bring in much better ratings than ever.
Posted: May 28, 2007 11:50 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The changing of the games to be media events. Sports used to be about watching and listening to a game. Now we have to be entertained with the Ozzy tunes cranked at 11, mascots, flying give away t-shirts, etc. When did sports become MTV?
Posted: May 28, 2007 12:06 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The "supply and demand" argument may have some merit for the actual ticket price, but for concessions in particular, they are engaged in monopolistic price gouging. People don't have the option of packing their own goodies into the stadium from the local 7-11, so if they want a beer or burger, they have to choose between going without, or paying several times market value. This is not fair competition... there aren't competing concession stand companies within the stadium, only fixed pricing in a captive market.
Posted: May 28, 2007 12:12 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Yes, thank you... the last guy finally nailed the worst thing in sports today... NCAA FOOTBALL PRESEASON RANKINGS. This can be included into media hype too, I suppose. But this practice condemns certain teams and elevates others without any merit at all. I'm looking at you Herbstreit (Big 10 homer). What's the harm in waiting until week 5 or 6?
Posted: May 28, 2007 12:37 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Why is this so difficult to understand: if Bonds used steroids, he cheated. If his cheating resulted in breaking records, then the records are bogus. One minute you decry the number of athletes on the police blotter and the next you want Bonds to get a pass because "he's not the only one." Grow a spine.
Posted: May 28, 2007 12:38 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1. Fans that whine about the cost of games. What, the owners should make games cheaper even though the stadium is sold out every night?

2. Fans that are too obsessed with the team. Unless I care so much about the performance of a bunch of millionaires wearing a shirt with my city name on it, I'm not a real fan?

3. Fans that whine about "real fans" not being able to attend the game. You can't be a successful in life and still be a real fan? Get a better job if you can't afford it!

4. Boise State not being national champs in college football. Division I team, undefeated, and a one loss team is the national champion?

5. The NFL. Let's hear another criminal brag about what a warrior he is. Actual action is fifteen minutes a game, which they are out there for half of! Way to maintain your intensity for 7.5 minutes. Even figure skaters are active for 4.5 minutes straight.
Posted: May 28, 2007 1:03 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
No salary cap in baseball. Top heavy teams have a huge advantage. Too big.
Posted: May 28, 2007 2:22 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
For those of you using the market economic argument to justify the high ticket prices...the market isn't some set in some and immutable law of human life. It is a social system with rules and agreements that can be changed to suit particular ends like any other system. Afterall, the teams themselves don't operate on market principles - getting government subsidies (tax breaks, loans) is market interference as is having a monopoly (why not use the club system as they do in English soccer?)
Posted: May 28, 2007 2:25 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
yankees vs. mets- granted, i live in southern new jersey, but whenever it is rivalry time during interleague, fox and espn broadcasts yankees/mets. there are other interleague rivalries, but you would hardly know it from the attention they pay to the new york teams. just once, i would like to see white sox/cubs on sunday night game of the week.
1. People named anonymous leaving comments! Why, fear of getting criticized?

2. The Designated Hitter. It cheapens the game and give guys who can't field a way to stay in the game longer than they should. They work on their hitting, why can't they work on their fielding and throwing, too?

3. People that complain about how much the athletes get paid. If you don't like how much they get paid to "play the game", don't watch, see in person or buy their stuff! I love it when people complain about how much athletes make, but will go see an actor that makes $20 mil per flick or buy products from companies where the CEO gets more money than A-rod while their employees barely make minimum wage. When the NFL gets smart and stops paying a signing bonus to a kid that has never played a professional game, it will be a miracle. They should do what the NBA does, all their picks are scheduled for a certain salary from pick #1 to the last pick. Only after that contract is fulfilled, can they get a better contract.

4. The BCS. What a waste of time. Just have a playoff system where the Elite 8 teams in the country get in and play for the National Championship.

5. Have the NBA and the HNL do a better job of scheduling their playoffs. Seasons ending in March ending in March and the playoffs ending in June is way too long. These leagues must NOT let TV/Cable dictate to them when to play. Interest wanes when you have to wait so long.
Posted: May 28, 2007 2:33 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Top five worst things in sports:

5. Steven A. Smith
4. Tim McCarver
3. Woody Paige
2. The Instigator Rule
1. Helmets
Posted: May 28, 2007 2:40 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
supply and demand assumes that there is competition amongst competing goods. There are no competing goods in this equation. Professional sports do not operate on a supply and demand basis. They are monopolies supported by government legislation permitting that activity. This negates supply and demand seeing as there is no viable alternative.
Posted: May 28, 2007 2:54 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I'd add David Stern determining this year's NBA champs by suspending Diaw and Stoudemire.
Posted: May 28, 2007 3:03 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Follow up to #5... I think it's worse that we glorify althetes on the field, that are poor citizens in life off the field. As much as I love sports, it makes me sick that my support ends up paying the salary of men that beat/cheat on their wives, get in fights, or carry weapons. It is the media's job to keep us informed, so we know the athletes that are respectible enough to cheer for.
Posted: May 28, 2007 3:11 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The incredible insight of sideline commentors, "I just talked to the coach and he said in order to win the game, they need to keep Peyton off the field and score more on offence." Talk a bow for that pearl of wisdom.
Posted: May 28, 2007 3:16 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Here's the basic problem... The networks (and ESPN) are "dictating to us" what is important based upon the television contracts they have signed.

Let's see...

ESPN (which is owned by ABC) has dumped the NHL and has signed NASCAR and has big contracts with the NBA, MLB and NFL....

They don't have journalistic integrity anymore. Don't be fooled. ESPN now dedicates much of its media (SportsCenter, the Magazine, ESPNRadio) to pump all of its properties (NASCAR, NBA, MLB, NFL). It won't spend it on tennis, NHL, etc because they don't have any money invested in it.

Fox is no different... Why is NASCAR growing so fast... Because Fox and ESPN want it to. They've signed big TV contracts.

Trust me, if ESPN or Fox had signed up Ulimate Fighting to HUGE numbers, they would be telling us "how much this sport has grown" and how it is "overtaking NBA, NFL, etc". They'd say this just to make us watch.

The problem is that what sports we get to watch are dictated by what sports the NETWORKS want to see succeed, not the leagues, and certainly not exactly based upon fan interest.

Until there is a Sports NEWS channel (with no league contracts), there will never be a decent sports program again. Remember in the old days, SportsCenter was good because ESPN didn't really show any major sports!
Posted: May 28, 2007 3:18 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Players from other teams are too polite to each other in front of the media. We need more rivalry and insulting. The next time Rasheed Wallace guarantees a victory, someone on the other team should pipe up, "You want a guarantee? I guarantee Rasheed will make an a** of himself during the game tonight."
Posted: May 28, 2007 3:36 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
u forgot about the ridiculous amount of commercials during regular season nfl games. touchdown-commercial, extra point-comercial, kick off-commercial, interception-commercial, it became so f---ing annoying hearing that chevy "this is our country" dixie land bullsh-- fifty times every sunday
1. ESPN - Sportscenter used to be good when we didnt have every channel i.e. ESPNNEWS.....the the side ticker which tells you what is coming up on SportsCenter...and after the "Twins" song during NFL season where that dumb guy from the COors light commercials does a song to the highlights and has to fit "twins" in there even when they use one girl and paste side to side on the screen. NICE!......and then the fact they blow smoke up Barry, the Yanks, the Cowboys, Favre (who I love but come on) and you know the rest..

2. Terrell Owens - I wish the NFL would just pay him off and say just get out, leave whatever just leave because all you do is ruin things for everyone.....

3. The NBA. who is watching? Great playoff slogan "win or go home" wow I would love to see the algonquin roundtable discussion over that one....and the fact it takes a week to travel from San Anton to Utah and whatever else just for TV....thanks....this is why I watch Hockey but it sucks cause no one else does.....
NBA timeouts - they have about 6 each and they last for 2 to 3 minutes....even the 20 second one...and my favorite is the call timeout and get the ball at halfcourt....NO OTHER SPORT ON EARTH you can move ahead to the middle of the field or gain yards just by calling timeout....anyone remember Duke v Kentucky....that is why the NBA sucks....

4. New York Yankees - they sign all of these buffoons to make a gazillion dollars and they have no chemistry....great job guys.....and I have to hear about them all day every day.....on ESPN.....see above...oh look the yanks just went to the bathroom and look they just lost another game.....ha ha go sox

5. Barry "Friggin" Bonds / BCS.....oh my god how can anyone say he is the greatest ever or whatever when most of his career was on the clear...isnt that ironic....and now how he trots to first on routine hits....or stands there watching his balls instead of running from the get go....I wish a catcher would club him over the head and say GO......BCS....need I say more....it is so pathetic I cant even describe and I am tired of typing....
Posted: May 28, 2007 4:38 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The worst thing in sports: The vomitous overuse of the word "opportunity" by athletes and analysts during interviews. ("When I caught the football in the endzone during the football game, it gave my team an opportunity to score some points. I just thank Jesus for giving me the opportunity to catch footballs. I'll never have to learn any multi-syllabic words other than opportunity due to them great skills I got"). Doesn't anyone ever tell these people they are illiterate?
Your Bonds comment was refreshing to read. Thank you!
Posted: May 28, 2007 4:48 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Commercials,commercials,action, more commercials, oops something happened, but we were at commercial. Enjoy the replay!!
Posted: May 28, 2007 5:03 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1. TV setting the timetable for all sports. That's why World Series games end after midnight.

2. Sports Media. Stories focus more about off field behaviour than on field production - why do I care if a guy is a jerk, tell me if he can help his team win.

3. Ex-players turned broadcasters. It would be nice if more than 1% of them would be critical rather than telling fans that if they haven't played as a pro they don't understand the game.

4. Non-sports on Sports channels. When did poker and spelling bees become sports? What's next, the world hop-scotch championships?

5. Americanization of hockey. The game was fine until Americans took control from Canadians and effectively killed it.
Posted: May 28, 2007 5:07 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
These are not the worst things in sports, but these are some of MY worst things in sports.
1. How people think cricket is boring but enjoy baseball and/or golf
2. The mindset that "sports" is the same as "American sports."
3. The tendency of the sports media to gush about the greatest team,player, moment, stadium, announcer, win, defeat, upset,mascot IN ALL OF SPORT.
4. The over-analysis of games, as if sports fans are generally dumb.
5. The possibility of Americans running FIFA.
The five things I dislike the most,

1. The rise of the "personality" over the team. If I see one more ESPN add about "Labron and Cavs" playing "Rasheed" and the Pistons I am going to puke.

2. The idea that just because someone is a great athlete that they are somehow never a criminal but innocents lead astray by the bad people around them. As Dr. Z said a few days ago, maybe it is the athlete is the one who is leading his friends astray. I live in Atlanta and to hear the way the media bends over backwards here to explain away the behavior of a two bit thug like Mickael Vick is just sad.

3. The death of boxing and the rise of UFC. Boxing is a beautiful sport to watch when done well. Unfortuneately, it has been destroyed by short sighted pay per view and crooks like Don King. Now we have a generation of kids who watch UFC, basically stupid unathletic thugs who couldn't cut it as boxers, because they don't know any better.

4. Baseball's sell out to steroids. Everyone knew McGuire and Sosa were on roids in 1998. Track had been testing for steroids since the 1980s. Same with the NFL. Basball's union and owners refused to do what was right and destroyed the integrity of the record books. Bud Seilig and Don Fehr both need to be there when Bonds breaks the record, they are the ones responsible for it. They ought to have to be there to see it.

5. The death of open wheel racing. Indy car racing used to be the more exciting rich older brother of Neckcar. Then USAC and CART split the series though ego and greed and destroyed it. It could have been what Neckcar is today. But instead it is a sideshow with third rate drivers because of greed and stupidity. If the France family had been running Indy car racing NeckCar would still be a minor sport. The sad fact is that the better sport lost.
Posted: May 28, 2007 7:49 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The REAL worst things in sports:

Number 5: Super-imposed tv ad banners on top of real banners at the park
Number 4: Pay-per-view
Number 3: Unbalanced "rivalry" inter-league schedules distort the pennant race in favor of profits
Number 2: 156 game MLB schedule (no game is really meaningful)
Number 1: The Designated Hitter
5. The Heisman Trophy - probobly the single most irrelevant thing in all of sports.

4. NBA prima donnas - Consider that possibly the biggest star in the game couldn't guard a mailbox to save his life (hear tht Lebron?).

3. Companies that sell pink sports paraphanalia - Looking at these women at games wearing pink instead of their team's colors is just wrong. Go back home. The real fans dont want you there.

2. The race card - To all the media talking heads: If you're going to say there aren't enough black head coaches, please list some coaching candidates that are not white.

1. The BCS
Posted: May 28, 2007 8:10 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
What about the legnth of the NBA's playoff series? twp to three weeks per series is absolutely ridiculous. the first few rounds should be held to five game series and there should be much shorter time lapses between games
Rather than a salary cap in baseball, although it probably needs to come to that when scrubs are making $5 mill per season, I think there should be revenue sharing à la the NFL. MLB still doesn't get it and so we have one team paying more for one player than the whole Tampa Bay DRays starting nine, LOL. ========================================
"1. Bonds did use steroids. He admitted it, but said he didn't know he was taking steroids. So, dropped the "if" argument. The only question is what should, if any, the punishment be. My guess is that MLB will put an asterisk by the record, and then remove it 30 years or so later when Bonds is old and dying and much more beloved..." - does anyone actually think Bonds will live that long? He's been so pumped full of stuff he'll be lucky IMO to make it to 50. We shall see...
Posted: May 28, 2007 8:27 PM   by Anonymous Plato for linebacker
The five worst things in sports are, in descending order of odiousness:

5. The incongruous application of value according to numbers (more of a societal error).
4. The attenuation of major-league talent by the increase of greed.
3. The fallacy of the fan that s/he is a part of what their team accomplishes.
2. ESPN! I agree - athletes leave their feet more to get on Sportscenter highlights than as an adherence to fundamentals.
1. The willingness of the public, en masse, to allow high-priced, spoiled athletes and ownership to denigrate that quality of athletics that makes it appealing: the use of competition to push us further, with aesthetics as a byproduct.
Posted: May 28, 2007 9:22 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
ME ME ME athletes have ruined sports. My favorite athlete of all-time, John Riggins, scores on a 43-yard run on 4th down, in the 4th quarter, to put his team ahead for good in the 1983 Super Bowl. His reaction? He tosses the ball to the ref and accepts the congratulations of his teammates while jogging off the field. Today he'd take his helmet off, pound his chest, keep the ball, perform a choreographed dance, and take a cell phone call, all while gazing skyward so he could see his feat replayed on the Jumbotron. Oh, and that would've been just for converting the 4th down -- forget the game-winning score, 4th quarter, and Super Bowl part.
Posted: May 28, 2007 9:47 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The worst things:

MLB- The designated hitter.

Aluminum bats in high school and college.

NFL- The hash marks moved to the middle. The new ref uniforms.

NCAA Football- The overtime system. A tie would be better.
Posted: May 28, 2007 9:55 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
How about espn showing the yankess and red sox almost every time they play
Posted: May 28, 2007 10:16 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The worst thing in sports has to be fans with opinions but not spell check.
Posted: May 28, 2007 10:22 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The #1 problem in sports is people who whine about the Yankees. Wah wah; Your team spends more than mine wah wah. have you ever priced a condo in NY. If it wasn't for the "taxes" the Yankees pay the Brewers wouldn't exist. So cry away biatches, but it won't change a thing.
Posted: May 28, 2007 10:28 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Nuff said about the bad officiating. Think of all the calls they do get right. Plus, aren't the players the best of the best, they should be able to deal with bad calls.
Posted: May 28, 2007 11:15 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
number one worst thing in sports? easy... jerky fans
Posted: May 28, 2007 11:31 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
My top 5:
1. Synchronized swimming
2. Cost of attending sporting events
3. The Pro Bowl
4. Baseball in November
5. Inconsistent handling of professionals in different Olympic sports
Posted: May 28, 2007 11:32 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The inferiority complex of UNC and Maryland fans regarding Duke.

We (Duke folks) can't help it if we're smarter and have more money than you.
Posted: May 28, 2007 11:48 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Players' salaries have a league minimum so let there be a league maximum and let them make their big money from endorsements. And since only the outstanding achievers get the big endorsements then that will create an environment where every player will push themselves to be the best they can be and compete for the biggest endorsement deals.
The BCS is the only thing that's terribly disturbing to me, to the extent that it weakens possibly the greatest athletic competition in america today..

Boxing on PPV and Hockey on Versus and Football on the Dish are all second tier problems that would let more persons to enjoy more sports.
Posted: May 29, 2007 1:29 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Lacrosse is the greatest sport on this good earth. It's a shame that more people don't pay attention to it. It's beautiful to watch, requires skill and toughness, and it's way more entertaining to watch than a 3 hour football commercial, a 4 hour baseball snore fest, a NBA scrum, or the mindlessness that is NASCAR. Lacrosse is Americas game and nobody knows it. It was here way before baseball folks. Forget hockey and tennis and ever other spring sport. Lacrosse is where it's at.
Posted: May 29, 2007 1:30 AM   by Anonymous Staley
1. Not enough sports in sports: too much hype, analysis, replay, commercials, basketball games that take an hour to play the last minute.
2. Know-it-all sportscasters who feel compelled to express their opinions at length constantly (even when interviewing other people). And you know they have an opinion on EVERYTHING.
3. Seasons that last FOREVER. I don't know which is worse, 162 games for baseball or 2 months for the basketball playoffs.
4. The ridiculous notion that Southerners driving in circles make good TV.
5. The futile effort every few years to make a new "Major Sports League" from scratch.
Posted: May 29, 2007 1:52 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
David Stern, Stu Jackson, David Stern, Stu Jackson and finally David Stern...I was the biggest NBA fan, until cheap-shot Bob got awarded for slamming the MVP and his TEAMATES instinctively came to his rescue.
Posted: May 29, 2007 2:34 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1. The BCS - I have never seen a system remain in place that has received so much public damnation. The worst part of the BCS is the "major" conference strangle hold on places in BCS games. Division I should be the only criteria. Do you hear me, Pittsburgh and Oklahoma?!

You are playing Division I or you are not. If majors are so special move them out so they are not insulted by the mere presence of the working class non-major conference.

2. ESPN is completely brutal in so many ways. Here are only a few:

2a - Bud Hot Seat. Thanks for the inquiry of a current athlete using the most buttermilk questions and letting him know he is off the "hot seat." Lame.

2b - Chris "Boomer" Berman. Lose the clever "use of name" nickname, whoops sounds on fumbles, and that brutal combover.

2c - I like the serious tone and gravitas during steroid stories and the simulataneous use of the count down to Aaron ticker tracking Bonds.

2d - I could keep going forever. I only watch for the few highlights until I can't take their s*** anymore. Man, I hope they could revert to their old self when they were a fresh upstart. Rock on, Bob Ley!

3. - Sport records and Hall of Fame. Look, the HOF in any major sport has been well watered/tainted long before Bonds, McGuire, etc. See AC Greens consecutive game streak in the NBA. Dude breaks his face in a previous game, throws a mask on, coach throws him in for one break to the other end, and pulls him for the rest of the game. Such endurance. Give me a break.

Spectators need to enjoy sports on a game-by-game basis. The HOF is just an excuse for players to stroke each other while wearing orange-cicle blazers.

4. NBA playoffs - I like them because they finally decide to move their feet and play defense. I abhor them because every team makes the playoffs and they run literally for months.

5. Has anyone else seen cars driving around with Nike swoosh window tint the size of the whole back window? Thanks MJ.

6. All-Star Games. The worst type of event to watch. These competitions will drain your soul if you watch long enough.
Posted: May 29, 2007 2:40 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
5 Wost things in sport..
1. Overpaid, underperforming athletes who have no real incnetive to compete..Money's in the bank, right? Besides, they can always get a ring towards the end of their career when they can pick their favorite contender for less money. See Clemens!
2. ESPN, captive PR firm to the athlete, owner corporate sponsor and league.
3. International Soccer. Enough already "the beautiful, but absolutely the most boring game". More action in fan on fan battles than on the turf.
4. Publicly funded stadiums that few can afford to attend regularly and where the seats are dominated by corporate sponsors.
5. The second and third chance. No matter how an athlete performs or behaves on and off the field, there is always someone who will give him a second, third or fourth chance and the bucks that go along with. Don't see much of that in the real world, just ask Imus.
Posted: May 29, 2007 4:59 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
we let out one big thing: FANTASY baseball, football,etc. it was alright the first 1-2 years but now its taken the focus away from actually loving a team. my friend used to be a huge detroit fan but when they played the packers, he wanted favre to score 4-5 TDs so he can get a better fantasy rating. and the 2nd thing i hate about sports is that a football game is interrupting my commercials! im serious, there is more commercial airing time then there is of the actual football game and i think all of us agree that, that is completely true nowadays.
Posted: May 29, 2007 7:24 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1. Too many commercial breaks!
2. Too many commercial breaks!
3. Too many timeouts in basketball.
4. Doping in cycling and even worse - no one knows what to do about it.
5. Olympic games coverage in the U.S. is now 95% hype and bs and only 5% just showing the athletes do their thing.

All but number four are due to it all being about money and no integrity or real love for the games or sport itself from the people in charge. Sad.
Posted: May 29, 2007 8:52 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1)The fans who shout "in the hole" every time a golfer drives off. If there's a more banal comment made in sport I dont know what it is.
2)Pass interference penalties in the NFL. A joke!!
3)The number of ruling bodies in boxing. It's time for one weight division, one champion. Again.
Five worst things in sports.
1. MLB playoff and world series games that end after midnight.
2. Commercials.....way way to many of them and the same ones all the time. If I had to see the rock'm sock'm robot punch the Dodge truck one more time my own head would have shot off.
3. Heavyweight boxing....it's gone right down the drain...thank you Don King and Bob Abrum.
4. Free agency...yes the players should get lot's of money but fans just root for the uniforms now. Thank you Boss Hogg in NY.
5. Len Berman doing that whoop sound 500 times during replays on Sports Center..Hey Len, enough already, we get it.
Posted: May 29, 2007 9:22 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1. ESPN
2. ESPN
3. ESPN
4. ESPN
5. ESPN
Posted: May 29, 2007 10:05 AM   by Anonymous MacDaddy
1. Today's professional athletes making millions while veteran players who paved the way are going broke.
2. The BCS.
3. People who think teams from smaller conferences should win the national title. Florida would have gone unbeaten in the WAC too.
4. Commercials before AND after kickoffs during NFL games.
5. Parents...be a high school or little league coach and you'll understand.
Posted: May 29, 2007 10:20 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
One bad thing no one else has mentioned: television coverage of track and field. It's either nonexistent or amateurish. The sport is tailor-made for TV, but moronic production, announcers who talk too much and say too little, and too much focus on the personalities of the athletes make it unwatchable. Please show the competition, including the field events; gag Larry Rawson, et al; and stop mindlessly interviewing breathless athletes just after they cross the finish line. Just because someone can run, jump, or throw better than the rest does not necessarily make for an interesting interview.
Posted: May 29, 2007 10:44 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1).Commercials, timeouts and endless free throws during the last 3 minutes of a basketball game. They suck the air out of the game.
2).Instant replay in the NFL, for the same reason. Instead,do it like college did last year. Make the decision in the booth and let's move the game along.
3). The NBA advancing the ball from the backcourt to the frontcourt if a team calls a time out. There is no good reason for this.
4). No MLB playoff games during the day. In elementary school we used to run home to catch the end of World Series games. The series was the talk of the school. Does anyone know a teenager today that watches baseball? Baseball has become an adults only sport.
5). Any sport were the winner is determined by judges. Skating, X games, Boxing, find a better way to determine a winner or leave the realm of sport. If you need a judge you are no better than Dancing with the Stars.
Posted: May 29, 2007 11:34 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The worst thing in sports? New York.

All of it. The IQ-challenged fans, the prima-donna franchises, the East Coast media who inexplicably think the rest of the country cares about what goes on there.

Go away. And take dose stoo-pid accents wit' chu.
Posted: May 29, 2007 1:20 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The absolute worst thing in sports, beyond debate, is the designated hitter rule. This is the stupidest, lamest, most blasphemous modification ever. American League ball is not even real baseball. I would rather read a 50-year old article on Ted Williams or Mickey Mantle than go to an American League game. Why not have a keg on the field, aluminum bats, a tee to hit from and trophies for everyone? It just plain sucks.
Posted: May 29, 2007 1:32 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
For the guy complaining about people complaining about ticket prices and their alleged failure tograsp "basic economics," I have a news flash: Today's sports are publicly-subsidized. Corporations get huge business expense write-offs for the suites, boxes, seats, licenses, naming rights and other perks. Because of this infusion of taxpayer capital, the price is artifically inflated because we are adding a class that can afford not to be scrupulous with its finances and has found a way to get someone else to buy its entertainment for employees, contractors and clients. That is NOT basic economics it is some kind of bizzarro-world socialism where the rich get the welfare state's largesse. Every study of sports shows it is a net drain in terms of economic return for public investment, but when the extortionists try to skip town -- or merely threaten to -- the business community cries and moans like they're going to ship the Statue of Liberty back to France. It is not because of the trickle-down crappy service jobs the community might lose but the "prestige" of a big-league ball club and the fact that as long as they're here and your company plays along, you can go to the games for free. The average fan: Not so much. And soon, not so much on free tv anymore. Get used to it. But don't pretend it has anything to do with a principled application of economics or any other science.
Posted: May 29, 2007 1:42 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
#5- ESPN: Unless you're a Yankee/Bosox fan, a Patriot fan or think McNabb is a god, this station is pointless
#4- Corporations putting their names on everything "3M Park," the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, etc.
#3- BCS (Bull Chucking S...!)
#2- Cost of games. Would say more but I hocked half my vocabulary for a stinking ball park hot dog!
#1- Overpaid, overhyped prima donnas who think they are above the law and greedy pukes in league offices and police departments that prove that they are.
Posted: May 29, 2007 1:42 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
5. Hockey announcers who feel they have to scream loudly when a shot is taken and stopped by the goalie. "Ooooooh, what a shot Jagr just ripped." Calm down Mr. Announcer it was a harmlees shot on goal that was saved easily.
4. The overanalysis/hype that goes into the NFL draft. Who really cares as 85% of these players won't ever make it on the field.
3. Commercials in the NFL. A team scores a touchdown. Go to commercial. They kick the extra point. Go to another commercial. Kick the ball off and go to another commercial. So for one TD, you have a minimum of 12 commercials. They do this because you fools sit home on Sunday and watch this crap.
2. The lost art of the brush back pitch and hitting batters. Today's players are girls, feel disrespected if hit and only want to fight. Take it like a man and let your pitcher get back at the team when he's on the mound.
1A. Free agency / Trading Deadlinbe deals - glad to see the players have the ability to make as much money as possible, but why is it only about the money even when they say it's not?
1B. Barry Bonds and his big head.
Posted: May 29, 2007 1:50 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Only 1 Thing comes to mind:

FEMALE SIDELINE REPORTERS

Is this the biggest waste of time EVER! Who cares what some bimbo says from the sidelines? I am a woman and we do not belong on the sidelines in male sports. Takes away from the beauty of the game and does not add any value. Why don't the networks be honest with themselves and say, "OK, let's go down to the sidelines and ogle our beautiful colleague's rack and tight buns?" At least they would be truthful
Posted: May 29, 2007 1:51 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Here's me top 5:

5. Price at the stadium/arena. Ridiculous. Even for those who live in the region that paid for the taxes to support the new facility doensn't get a break.

4. Free agency. It'$ ruined the major sport$ for the mo$t part. Player$ break for the mo$t ca$h almo$t every time.

3. Images. That's right, I hate these dumb images these athletes are 'sportin' now. Especially in the NBA. C'mon man, stop with tha gansta tats and the dumb looking hair styles. Time to get back to being like everyone else... Oh wait, might as well continue lookin' da fool then.

2. Salaries. These idiots make waaaay too much money as it was ten years ago. Now, after seeing what I'm paying for the common-everyday-things [gas, taxes, insurance, mortgage] I just wanna throw up on them whenever I hear them junk like, "My kids gotta eat too."

1. Legal system. Also see Hollywoodland. I hate this one more than anything else. "They" always get special treatment for anything but a capital crime. "They" get more rehab and suspended sentences than every before. "We" get thrown in jail and lose our jobs over the simplest of things. Time for "Them" to be time.
Posted: May 29, 2007 1:56 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous

- Is it really that simple? Pack the house for max dollars and your team will be infintely better?
5) Celebrity interviews during games
4) 2 weeks between conference championship games and Super Bowl
3) Calling poker a sport
2) TV timeouts
1) Calling baseball's winning team 'World Champs'...shouldn't it be 'US champs'?
Posted: May 29, 2007 3:34 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
worst things about sports are that the price of attending have become only a luxury for the wealthy.
The BCS NCAA explainations of why we can't have a college football playoff.
Constant media coverage of T.O. and last but not least fans who paint themselves in team colors.
Posted: May 29, 2007 5:56 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
NASCAR.

Let's get a hundred thousand hillbillies together to watch global warming in action.
Posted: May 29, 2007 7:53 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
5 Worst things off the top of my head.
1. The NBA administration. Their commish is a complete joke. He doesn't rule with judgment in mind, he rules like a lawyer because he is one.
2. Bonds, too much evidence points to steriods use.
3. Over use of the sky cam in the NBA. Just because you have the camera doesn't mean you should find every excuse to use it during play.
4. Michelle Wei trying to break into the Mens tournament when she hasn't won in her own tournaments.
5. Danica Patrick coverage. She hasn't won either, but the media loves talking about her... because there isn't much to talk about in the sport to begin with of interest to the vast majority of the nation.
Posted: May 29, 2007 9:46 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I can't believe anyone hasn't said this but I guess America isn't a soccer country. The flopping and free-style falling in soccer needs to stop. It makes soccer unwatchable
Posted: May 29, 2007 11:24 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
5. The sudden death rule for overtime in the NFL. If a team scores the other should have at least one series of plays.

4. The amount of money being paid to rookies. Over night Rags to Riches folks don't know how to spend it wisely.
3. The slap on the hand for crimes by players. If you get arrested or start a fight your off the team- no questions asked.
2. There should be a salary cap on every one
1. The price of tickets
TV timeouts (and the guy in the red hat) during Michigan football games in the cold rain.
Posted: May 30, 2007 3:43 AM   by Anonymous TLmoscow
All of my ‘worsts’ relate to baseball:

5. Fans who complain about the DH. It’s been in place for more than 30 years, so like, try to accept it.

4. The banner over the top of the screen during televised games (and that ridiculous pitch locator thing). Why not just flash the score and the count between pitches, and when the action starts, let us see it? Also, this business of paying too much attention to goofy fans and not enough on what’s going on in the field – where are the outfielders? Is the infield in or back? What kind of lead are the runners taking? – really winds me up.

3. Game commentary focuses too much on statistics – “The last time a left-batting catcher got a hit off a right-handed knuckleballer with the wind blowing from right field in a night game in a west coast ballpark was 1967.” That’s very interesting, but I’m really only interested in, you know, baseball. Announcers need to realize that it’s OK to just be quiet and let us enjoy the game.

2. Fans who boo their own team should be spiked, batted to the ground and then maced. We never booed our guys in MY day, etc.

1. I’m a Red Sox fan, and we have lots of problems. I agree we and the Yankees get paid too much attention; it’s boring even for us. The rivalry between our teams is way over-hyped. In MY day (oh, here goes grandpa again), we had lots of rivalries – with the Twins, then Detroit, then the f-ing As with their stupid mustaches, etc.… looks like a good one might be building with Cleveland right now. Maybe a fresh story line would do us all some good.
Posted: May 30, 2007 10:43 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1. Yankees/Red Sox. Singlehandedly, this over-hyped farce is destroying the public face of baseball and driving away casual fans. Just because ESPN THINKS 99% of the country cares about this game, doesn't mean they do. How about you stop listening to your neighbors in Bristol and NYC and find out what the country REALLY cares about...and that is good teams playing good baseball.
The worst thing about sports is obviously the wave. It is strictly for imbeciles who have come to the game looking for an idiotic way to annoy those of us who have come to see THE GAME. Next time, please sit down so I can see what's happening, or just stay home, schmucks.
How about the idiots yakking on cell phones at the game. At hockey games they sit by the glass and stand up and wave at the camera when the puck is near them. At baseball games they're behind home plate and jump around and mug at the camera. If you sit behind one of these idiots at a game, do us all a favor and tell 'em to sit down and shut up. Also, what about the continous ads, crawls and pop-ups on the screen while you're trying to watch the game. Fox is the absolute worst at that.
Posted: May 30, 2007 11:44 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1. Taxpayer funded stadiums. Just because 51% of the town wants a new stadium doesn't make it right that the other 49% should be forced to pay for it.

2. Loud music and other noise at sporting events. I pay to see a sport played at its highest level not to get the latest hip hop song or 1980's one hit wonder shoved down my throat. I also don't need to be prompted to cheer or make noise every five seconds. I'll cheer when I see a good play on the field.

3. Spelling bees, cards, dog shows, competitive fishing, shoving hot dogs down one's piehole, etc. being presented as sport. Read a book or something, anything, if you're that hard up for entertainment.

4. 9 PM starting times for Eastern Time Zone events. I'll cut some slack for events not on the East Coast, but I think most in the EST zone have jobs and/or kids and I for one, am not willing to lose sleep and walk around tired and groggy in order to catch a game that I otherwise would watch if it started earlier.

5. The never ending NHL and NBA seasons. I enjoy basketball and hockey but lose interest with too many playoff teams and playoffs that go into June. Sorry, I don’t want to sit in a musty arena when it's 80 degrees and sunny outside.
Posted: May 30, 2007 4:11 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I used to live on the east coast, and hated how late games would go as well. I rarely watched the end of a Monday Night Football game either. Now that I live on the west coast, I absolutely love it. MNF ends by 9 pm, and World Series games during the week are over early as well. NFL starts at 10 am on Sundays - fantastic! It's much easier being a sports fan on the west coast.

That said, I really wouldn't care if the games started at 5:30 PST instead of 6 pm.
Posted: May 30, 2007 4:47 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1. No tailgating in LA
2. Free-throws and fouling in the final minutes of NBA games.
3. Meaningless interview questions after games.
4. Pink on MNF
5. Barkley and Wade Ads on NBA playoffs

...but then again, there was that Boise St. game, so the good will always overshadow the bad.
Posted: May 31, 2007 4:50 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Here's something you missed...
ESPN's conviction that the Red Sox and the Yankees are what matters most in baseball.
Posted: May 31, 2007 2:40 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The Top 5 Worst Things in Sports Today are obviously:

1.) Boxing fans who refuse to admit that boxing is dead.
2.) Boxing fans who refuse to admit that Mixed Martial Arts is a much better one-on-one combat sport than boxing.
3.) Boxing fans who refuse to admit that the De La Hoya-Mayweather fight flat out sucked.
4.) Boxing fans who refuse to admit that boxing will never again regain its mainstream appeal that it once had.
5.) Floyd Mayweather declining an offer from Dana White to fight UFC World Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk because he knew damn well that the "Muscle Shark" would very easily rip his ass to shreds in the Octagon.
Posted: June 7, 2007 11:03 AM   by Anonymous Jim
1- Fans who think they are always right.

2- B(S)CS just a stupid system

3- Sportswriters who do not check their facts. Jayson Stark and his overrated list are the primary example. Go look what he wrote about Barry Zito and then check his work, its completely wrong.

4-Barry Bonds haters. The man has dealt with so much is such a professional manner that it makes me angry to keep seeing people try and make him break. Barry, you are the MAN.

5- Michael Vick and and ESPN and dogfighting. When ESPN aired those clips of actual dogfights, they should have been in just as much trouble as Vick will be in. It was such a disturbing scene to watch.
Posted: July 19, 2007 4:46 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1. Steroids
2. NASCAR
3. Fox Sports
4. Barry Bonds
5. prima donna & thug athletes
The cost of going to a game is the worst thing about sports by a country mile. Older generations talk about actually being there for historic events like Bobby Thompson's HR or Aaron's 715th. The memories of kids these days will be about how they saw it on TV.
Posted: August 5, 2008 1:34 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The blotter phenomenon is easy to explain. The reason is essential the same as the Columbine Massacre. Athletes from high school to college to the pros are always deified and given preferential treatment so they become spoiled, arrogant and obnoxious. They think they can do anything they want without consequences which is just not the case. In the case of Columbine, the bullied and oppressed took their revenge out on the high school jock. The pros have to answer to the same laws that we all have to abide, unless you're OJ and spend millions on the best lawyers.
divider line