We rank 'em. You react. That's how the Daily List rolls.
5/08/2007 10:12:00 AM
Top Five Unlikeliest Couples
Jeff and Carmella make a cute couple, don't they?
Albert L. Ortega/WireImage.com
By Arash Markazi, SI.com
Being a professional athlete is like being in a famous rock band -- no matter what you look like, simply making it as far as you have opens doors you never dreamed of before. Saying you're a linebacker for the Dallas Cowboys has a different ring to it at that flashy nightclub than saying you're a computer programmer for Microsoft.
We know this and yet we're still bewildered when we see an athlete nab a famous hottie (as if we somehow had a chance in the first place). With that in mind, we present to you the current five athlete/celebrity couples that have us shaking our heads.
1. San Diego Chargers long snapper David Binn & Pamela Anderson ... This is our favorite couple of the year if for no other reason than the fact that Binn is a deep snapper. Seriously, when was the last time a deep snapper made it into Page Six and US Weekly?
2. New Orleans Hornets forward Peja Stojakovic & Aleka Kamila ... With the divorce of Rony Seikaly and Elisa Benitez, this is now basketball's unlikeliest couple. The hairy Hornets sharpshooter somehow nabbed a Greek goddess who doubles as a model and the mother of their two children.
3. Chicago Bears safety Adam Archuleta & Jennifer Walcott ... Chances are Archuleta has been hooking up with beauties like Walcott back when he was at Arizona State, but we still have to put the couple on the list. Walcott is one of the hottest Playboy Playmates and Archuleta looks like a beefed-up version of K-Fed.
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jeff Garcia & Carmella DeCesare ... So much for Terrell Owens' claims about his former San Francisco quarterback. Garcia married DeCesare, the 2004 Playmate of the Year, last month. That's not even the best part about DeCesare. She was charged with assault after a catfight in a bar with a woman whom she accused Garcia of having an affair with back in 2004. Now that's a keeper.
5. Carolina Panthers center Ryan Kalil & Natalie Nelson ... You could understand Nelson, the leader of the USC Song Girls, dating defensive captain Dallas Sartz while she was cheering on the Trojans. Yet she took everyone by surprise when she started dating Kalil, who wasted little time in proposing to Nelson in an elaborate setup at the Coliseum. He asked her to watch him pose for an SI photo shoot on the field before the stadium lights went off and a video of the couple was shown on the Jumbotron before he got down on one knee and asked for her hand. The couple plans to wed next March.
So who makes your list of sports' most unlikely couples?
Someone said something about John Mayer and Jessica Simpson. It could be me but since this is a sports site, I was thinking that at least one half of the couple needs to play a sport. Neither one of them qualifies, and besides that, John Mayer could do a whole lot better!!