We rank 'em. You react. That's how the Daily List rolls.
8/31/2007 09:18:00 AM
DeSean Jackson's Top Five Fight Songs
USC's fight song is one of college football's best.
Photo by Robert Laberge/Getty Images
By Arash Markazi, SI.com
DeSean Jackson isn't hard to spot before games. He's usually the one bouncing around in the end zone, dancing to the music in his ears. "The song I listen to before every game is Tupac's All Eyes on Me," says Jackson. "That's my favorite song. Just listening to All Eyes on Me before the game lets you know that everybody's looking at you and you've got to step up and make a big play, make things happen." Jackson usually makes things happen on the field, as he's one of the leading candidates for the Hesiman Trophy this season, but what fight songs get him the most pumped up before a game? Here are his top five.
1. Cal: Well, obviously, first and foremost is our Cal fight song, it always gets me pumped up before games.
2. USC: That song really gets me going. I know it by heart. It's crazy. You just hear that and it's like, "Oh man, there go the 'SC Trojans." That's a good feeling, you know, because once you hear their band playing, you just get ready to play some football. I would probably say SC that gets me pumped up the most. Being young and always being around SC, I always just heard their fight song, and they got the horse running up and down the sideline. They've got that going on, so it's kind of a good thing.
3. LSU: They've got a good one going on at LSU. It's one of those classic college football fight songs.
4. Arizona State: They got a cool one. I always like hearing that one before I play the Sun Devils.
5. UCLA: It's funny because they got the same fight song as us. I remember when I played at UCLA it was a big thing because I heard the song and I was like, "Hey! That's our song!" It's kind of crazy because you hear both teams playing that song and it's like, "Damn, which team is mine? Which band is mine?" So you really don't know when you go to UCLA. It's hard.
1. Ohio State "fight the team" 2. Michigan "Hail to the Victors" 3. Notre Dame-just watch Rudy if you have any doubt 4. USC It's just cool, I root for them to score just to hear it 5. really are there any others even close to those four??? seriously no one else is even close I'll bet if you checked the ring tone purchases it's those 4 and therest are not even close. Ohio states is so good I'll bet 3/4 ths ofthe high schools in Ohio use it as theirs
1. Georgia Tech - "I'm a Ramblin' Wreck From Georgia Tech" been featured in movies, and sung by world leaders. People may not know anything about Georgia Tech, but everyone, from the most ardent college football fan to my grandmother knows where the Ramblin' Wreck calls home.
2. Notre Dame - Probably the song most synonomus with college football.
3. Michigan - Again, a true classic.
4. Wisconsin - Another original
5. Clemson - Nothing more intimidating than seeing a sea of orange and hearing "Tiger Rag" as the Tigers line up to rub the rock and run down the hill in "Death Valley"
Once again, a list that concentrates solely on the big programs. Go listen to the Marching 97 of Lehigh University, as well as the alumni band that shows up at each home game. Nothing against the talent of the kids in these big school bands, but they aren't nearly as fun.
One more thing - we see the Grambling/Southern game televised each year and pushed as the "Battle of the Bands." How in the world did they get left off?
Is this list suppossed to be taken seriously? Besides USC, you've listed a bunch of run of the mill songs, most of which aren't dicernable from your average high school song. No Michigan? No Notre Dame? No Wisconsin? No Texas? Those are the famous and great fight songs of college football. Plus, one sleeper: Colorado.
the notre dame fight song has to be on there. no one cares about arizona state's fight song. how come all the schools listed are in the west? are there no good songs in the mid-west or east coast? this list is horrible. other than lsu ive never heard from anyone else about these schools having a good fight song. this list is a joke.
I'm an FSU grad and love their fight song and war chant but know that most people wouldn't put them in their top five. How could you not have Michigan, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Georgia, Georgia Tech, or even Alabama? This is a joke.
"Yea, Alabama" is a great one. Michigan and Notre Dame have good ones too. I'm totally against any fight song is either an actual song (like bluegrass classic "Rocky Top") or one that borrows its melody from one (see Georgia).
Any list that doesn't have Michigan and ND in the top 5 should be ignored. And while I'm a Wisconsin Badgers fan, I seem to recall reading that John Phillip Sousa called "On Wisconsin" the best marching band song he ever heard.
You should seriously be ashamed for publishing this crap. I almost vomited when I read this. You leave off Hail to the Victors and The Notre Dame Victory March. They are so far ahead of al of the others this shouldn't be listed.
Wisconsin should be on every list, their school song is the only one that was ever given the "official seal of approvel" from John Phillips Sousa. Only known as the best composer of marching music. So if Wisconsin is not on that list you're insane. The rest as follows: Notre Dame, Michigan, Georgia Tech, USC And Ohio State would be tied.
Is he crazy? I haven't even heard some of those songs it should be: 1.Tennessee (DeSean will probably say the same after saturday) 2.(as much as I hate saying this)-Notre Dame 3.Georgia Tech 4.Michigan 5.Texas
Alabama? No way! No way! Kayla, do you have a picture of Saint Nicholas Saban the Terrible that you worship? And for LSU's fight song to be up there is absolutely criminal. Where's Arkansas? That's a catchy song! And what about the classic Georgia "Glory Glory"?
Since I'm a Big Ten gal my top 5 would be as follows 1. On Wisconsin 2. Hail to the Victors 3. Notre Dame (even though I hate them) 4. Ohio state 5. Iowa Fight Song MY Alma Mater and written by Meredith Wilson...the Music Man guy.
Notre Dame's fight song, like Notre Dame, is overrated. USC has the best fight song ever. And Michigan should be left off every "top-whatever" list until they can prove they can beat D-AA teams at home. "Hail to the Victor?" More like "Hail to the Guys Who Lose at Home to D-AA Teams."
This list is a joke, more of a Pac-10 top 5 list, somehow LSU made it on there, though. And like many people have posted, how can NOTRE DAME not be at the top of this list? NOTRE DAME has the best fight song of all time!!! Watch the movie Rudy, and you'll understand. GO IRISH!!!
It's obvious to me these lists are created with a dart board which facilitates more comments on the website. Michigan, Wisconsin, and Notre Dame have some of the most famous fight songs in the history of sport. "On, Wisconsin" in particular is used as a baseline for numerous songs, including the Beach Boy's "Be True to Your School."
How could anyone not put their own alma mater first?
1. "Fight On State" - Penn State 2. "Hail to the Victor" - Michigan 3. "We're a bunch of hypocritcal scumbags" - Notre Dame (I have no idea of the name of the song, but that should be it) 4. "Rocky Top" - Tennessee 5. The Tomahawk Chop - Florida State
Wow. I think it says a lot that you can see lists with both Michigan's fight song, Notre Dame's fight song, and Ohio State's fight song. I guess it goes to show you, music can unite us all. That and they're awesome fight songs.
Well his final 5 in recruiting were: Cal, ASU, LSU, Oklahoma, and USC. Sounds like his tastes in fight songs are similar to his tastes in schools. Not everyone in the world is obsessed with midwest schools or southeast schools. Good for him for being original. He is afterall a Pac-10 guy. Did you see what he did to Tennessee! Pac-10=SEC, Pac-10>Big 10, Big-12, ACC, Big East, MWC, WAC and so on..
You non-musical morons should defer to someone who actually knew something about "March" songs, a.k.a. "Fight" songs - John Phillip Sousa. You know, "Stars & Stripes Forever" - that guy. And HE said, the greatest Fight Song ever written is.... THE VICTORS - MICHIGAN. However, after last weekend, it should be retitled THE LOSERS. And this is coming from an alumni, and former Michigan Marching Band member...
Anonymous said... How in the world can you leave "Hail to the Victor" off of that list?
This is the first of MANY "nominations" for Michigan's fight song. After our victory over Micha-Who this past Saturday, the new song for Big Blue should be renamed, "Hail to the Victors of ASU". 34-32 my friends. Have a great day.
It's clear Mr West Coast has never been to a college hockey game.
Sure, Wisconsin and Michigan have great songs. Notre Dame is fantastic. USC is impressive. 'Bama is solid.
But nothing can ever match the pump-up-ability of the MINNESOTA ROUSER after the Gophers put one into the net at a home hockey game. 17,000 screaming Gopher hockey fans ON THEIR FEET and signing along...followed by M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A! MINNESOTA! MINNESOTA! MINNESOTA! YAAAAAAAY GOPHERS!
Wow, for those of you taking Desean's list too seriously, let's remember that these are songs that "pump him up" before gametime and he hears four of these songs at least once every year. Not too mention, he probably just pulled these off the top of his head and didn't perform an ESPN who's-number-one bracket to decide which songs to list. That being said, my favorites are, in no particular order: USC's Conquest,Fight for Cal, Mighty Oregon, ASU's Maroon and Gold, Texas Fight, Boomer Sooner, Hail to the Victors, Buckeye Battlecry, On Wisconsin, Notre Dame Victory March, Arkansas Fight Song, Yea Alabama, Rocky Top, Ramblin' Wreck, and Miami U Fight Song.
Hail to the Victor should be stricken from the records, infact they shouldn't be allowed to be called the Victors for atleast another 10 years after that loss to App. State.
Florida should have been on the list, nothing better than 91,000 of your closest friends in the Swamp. What about "We are the Boys"? I'm not sure it qualifies as a fight song but it sure is a powerful song during a Home game against Tenn. or FSU.
Who compiled this list? ASU?, CAL? , UCLA? are you kidding? ALthough I am a Buckeye, how do you not have Notre Dame, Michigan and Ohio State? Without those 3 this list terrible USC is the only worthy one on this list