We rank 'em. You react. That's how the Daily List rolls.
9/28/2007 12:12:00 PM
Top Press Conference Tirades
Don't ask Jim Mora about the playoffs.
Photo by AP
By Lang Whitaker, SI.com
Mike Gundy, you are not alone. There are times when a person just can't take it anymore, when the world becomes too much to handle and we feel a need to rage against the machine. For some of us, those times occur in the privacy of our car or office. And for some, those instances play out in public, in front of a phalanx of microphones and cameras. These are the ones we're thankful for. A coach blows his top? We've got it all on film.
Here are our top five press conference tirades...
1. Hal McRae: Don't ask Hal McRae any stupid...well, watch the clip and you'll get it. I like how the camera operator snaps to attention when McRae first gets surly. Also watch for the shot of the reporter walking out of the office with blood running down his cheek.
2. Jon Chaney vs. John Calipari:Maybe my favorite of all time, with the single camera tracking shot going from the beginning to the resolution of the argument. I especially love the part where Chaney is completely obscured from sight but you hear a scratchy voice ring out: "I'll kick your ass!"
3. Bob Knight: We should include him basically as a lifetime achievement, although many of his outbursts have occurred on the court as opposed to in the press room. This one, however, is in the press room. He starts getting grumpy around the 1:15 mark and then it's all downhill from there.
4. Dennis Green: The most recent press conference in this list is also maybe the funniest. Watch as Green gets angrier and angrier, mostly at himself, working himself into a lather. He goes from incredulity to complete rage frighteningly fast.
5. Allen Iverson/Jim Mora: OK, let's take out two press conferences with one entry here. Playoffs? Practice? We're talking about both of them in this video.
What did you say!? You got a problem with this list!? Then give us your best tirade below!
Lang Whitaker is the executive editor of SLAM magazine and writes daily at SLAMonline.com
Lame to combine press conferences Lang. What a copout.
You missed Mora Sr.'s rant after a Monday night loss to Giants (as Saints coach) when he lambasted Saints fans for applauding a fallen Saints QB Wade Wilson. Best line: "There are some sick, sick, sick people out there - sick in the head."
I agree with the second poster. How could you leave off Lee Elia? Without a doubt the most profane tirade ever. I did the math, he drops the f-bomb an average of once every 4.7 seconds over a 3:15 stretch. And that's not counting all the other profanity.
Plus, most of it was directed at the Cubs fans, whom Elia helpfully suggested that they all go out and find jobs.
I would vote for the great tirade by Jim Boeheim after Syracuse lost to Georgetown in the Big East finals in 1983. He ends up throwing a chair in the post-game news conference. It's classic, particularly for Boeheim's um, unique, sartorial sense. (Elton John-size plastic glasses and a plaid jacket)
i believe it was 1983, Gene Keady after a loss to Michigan State in East Lansing went ballistic after a question if he recruited MSU freshman Scott Skiles, now the Bulls coach. The spit and the expletives were flyin!
either that, or Lee Elia. thats an all time classic.