Extra MustardSI On CampusFantasyPhoto GalleriesSwimsuitVideoFanNationSI KidsTNT
Daily ListBack to Extra Mustard
We rank 'em. You react. That's how the Daily List rolls.
4/30/2008 11:09:00 AM

Five Sports Franchises We Love to Hate

Derek Jeter
Excessive coverage is just one reason why people outside of New York hate the Yankees.
Getty Images
By Lang Whitaker, SI.com

What's fun about rooting for sports teams isn't just rooting for the teams we like, but cheering against the teams we don't like. I'm an Atlanta Braves fan, but would being a Braves fan be as satisfying and gratifying without the existence of the New York Mets to provide the yin to the Braves' yang? It's nothing personal -- I have many Mets fans I consider friends. I just don't like your collection of athletes because they're you're collection of athletes. Here are the five most fun sports franchises to hate...

1. Any Major Team From Boston: The Red Sox, Celts and Patriots currently occupy that number one slot. Not so much because they all have more money than the treasury and have basically managed to assemble All-Star teams, but because they all win, all the time, and their fans love nothing more than to make sure everyone else knows about this. And nobody loves a winner who rubs it in.

2. New York Yankees: Run by a family of husky men with bad haircuts, the Yanks win and win and win and then remain competitive by throwing money at their issues.

3. Los Angeles Lakers: Lakers fans seem to have some sort of "us against them" mentality, and believe that if people aren't Lakers fans, they must hate anything and everything to do with the Lakers and/or Kobe Bryant. They may be correct.

4. THE Ohio State University: Buckeye fans have had the legs for their argument for dominance knocked out from under them lately, what with the way they keep losing in championship games. But you'd never know State can't win the big one by listening to them Buckeyes. (By the way, we get it: You're THE Ohio State University. Nice sweater vests.)

5. Chelsea: After a few years of mediocrity, the Blues were purchased by a billionaire, bought every great player in Europe, installed a coach who called himself "the special one" and spent a few years dominating everyone. The Special One is gone, but that sense of entitlement from their fans remains.

Which team do you most love to hate? Let us know below...

Lang Whitaker is the executive editor of SLAM magazine and writes daily at SLAMonline.com
posted by SI.com | View comments |

Comments:

Sweet Jesus! I'd clean the locker room toilets of ALL of the above franchises with my toothbrush if 'Jerruh' Jones and the Dallas Cowboys would just GO AWAY! Seeing that withered old man, who has the football knowledge of the cop from the Village People, on the sidelines just brings visions of Charles Whitman to mind.
Posted: April 30, 2008 2:01 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Any hockey team NOT the Maple Leafs...ESPECIALLY THE SENS.
Posted: April 30, 2008 2:07 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I don't think people around the country hate on Ohio St too much. I would replace them on this list with Duke.
Posted: April 30, 2008 2:10 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Man U. is more hated then chelsea...sorry folks.

also for hockey..if anyone really watches it..Toronto Maple Leafs....

They dont win but alot of ppl hate them
Posted: April 30, 2008 2:11 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE DUKE!!!!!!!!!
Posted: April 30, 2008 2:15 PM   by Anonymous Sathish J
The Australian cricket team. Those blokes are annoying!
Posted: April 30, 2008 2:24 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Notre Dame.

The are ego maniacs and act like they are god's gift to college football. No other college team has a TV contract, no other team has its own set of BCS rules, and their schedule also always has the coast guard on it. No other team has an entire country rooting for the other team like non Notre Dame fans.
Posted: April 30, 2008 2:43 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Right Lang, and everyone just loves the Braves.
Posted: April 30, 2008 2:51 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Do you know why the Red Sox and Yankees are hated so much? Because they are always the first and most important teams on ESPN. ESPN is the most biased station on television and need to stop with the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry. It's the most important rivalry in sports when they play and the world should watch that game like the Super Bowl is watched.
Posted: April 30, 2008 2:57 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Posted: April 30, 2008 3:22 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I HATE DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: April 30, 2008 3:25 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Notre Dame is #1 by a mile. They really aren't relevant because of their winning lately but their fans make it sound like they are champions every year. They use arguments like Notre Dame is Notre Dame to justify going to big bowl games were they are beat like the dogs they are.

The best example of Notre Dame arrogance is this latest flap with Rutgers. You see the six year "home and home" couldn't work because Notre Dame wouldn't play at Rutgers Stadium, but wanted to go to the New Giants Stadium. Heaven forbid, Notre Dame be forced into Rutgers Stadium which is undergoing a $100 million renovation. Yes, they refuse to go to another school. Now I know some people are going to say well lots of big schools refuse to go to other lesser schools. Well, those schools have conferences so they have to have some structure to their schedule and not load up the service academys. (Although Navy did win last year). It is the pinnacle of arrogance to attempt to control which stadium a road game must be played in.

Let's not forget that Notre Dame fans of how dare you not support their school. Anyone that is Catholic should support them is an actual argument used by these clowns. Yeah, I should let religion dictate my college football fandom. I'm sorry Golden domers if I want to hang out with arrogant jerks with a sense of entitlement I would rather go to Yankee Stadium.
I like the cover, "Why fight it? The Yankees will win again. Derek Jeter...four rings and counting". Who wrote that, Johnny Damon's father?
Posted: April 30, 2008 3:37 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
No question, The team that has emulated the worst element in our society: The Oakland Raiders
You really missed this one! Without any hesitation or doubt, number one should have been the Notre Dame/NBC stinking Irish. What a bunch of over-rated pussies who almost get an automatic entry every year into the BCS because of some NCAA crooked backroom deal. Follow the money!
Posted: April 30, 2008 3:41 PM   by Anonymous Chad N- Indiana
New York Yankees, Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Duke Blue Devils, New England Patriots. Over-hyped, over-televised, over-rated.
Posted: April 30, 2008 4:00 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Notre Dame Football of course they cannot lose bad enough to make me happy and Duke Basketball
Posted: April 30, 2008 4:01 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Posted: April 30, 2008 4:02 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Duke Basketball
Notre Dame Football
Posted: April 30, 2008 4:10 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
As an outsider looking in, the argument you have for the ohio state buckeyes is rather ridiculous. Although they have not been as successful lately in championship games, they are still right there every year with the opportunity to add another championship. I am sure that osu fans would agree with me, that they have high standards for there buckeyes and winning national championships is the bar that they set every year. For me, that in itself is impressive and speaking to there fans belief in there team, give me a break you act as if they are worse than any other high profile teams fan. That simply is just not the case.
Posted: April 30, 2008 4:20 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The Dallas Cowboys. "America's Team" what a joke. If it's not the crybabys on the field it's the criminal acts off of it. But they are a great team to love to hate.
Posted: April 30, 2008 4:41 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I'm from Ohio, never lived anywhere else. I love my Buckeyes. But are we really that hated? I would have figured someone in the SEC, or even the whole league is hated more than OSU
Posted: April 30, 2008 4:42 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
DUKE!!
How can Notre Dame not be on the list. I know they are awful nowadays (so happy about that), but a lot of us still hate them.
I think another thing that hurts Boston fans is that although they are very knowledgable about their own teams, they are mostly clueless about other teams unless it has to do with a big star. Plus they know nothing about college football and are the best teams money can buy.
Posted: April 30, 2008 4:59 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
It's a sad sign of how far they have fallen that Notre Dame didn't even make the list.
Posted: April 30, 2008 5:35 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I can't really say that I hate the Boston teams, even though I was born in New York. Of course, my favorite New York teams are the Giants, the Mets, and the Rangers. I'm indifferent to the Jets, and I hate the Yankees, so the Red Sox can beat up the Yankees as much as they please. The Bruins-Rangers rivalry is long past us now, and the Giants, well, enough said.

If I had to take a shot at any Boston team, it would be the Celtics, but I have always hated the Lakers, and I don't really care about the NBA anymore.

So, with that said, my top 5

1. The Cowboys (actually, they are numbers 1-46, but I shall condense).
2. The Yankees
3. Orange County Community College aka The Whine and Cheese Crowd aka UNC Chapel Hill
4. The Olympic Team of the People's Republic of China (I don't hate the athletes, just the management.)
5. The Washington Generals - after all these years you would think that these guys would see the yo-yo ball, the weaving circle, and the confetti coming. ;-)
Posted: April 30, 2008 6:11 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
CardinaLS, COLTS, White SOX, Reds, and rapidly rising Brewers. Mainly because of the overrated blob on first base and Rickie Weeks.
Posted: April 30, 2008 6:39 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Notre Dame (check out this youtube clip) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Y7yjxJVlc

Dallas Cowboys - when did we hold the election that made them "America's Team" - little arrogant of them don't you think?

Tosu is right where they belong on this list - GO BLUE!

The '72 Dolphins........not the Dolphins as a whole - just those that played on the '72 team.

USC!!!!

Florida - It's easy to hate a team when they are successful, but the arrogance that Florida teams (and fans) have expressed in recent years is down right sickening.........congrats on your National Titles - now learn some manners!
Posted: April 30, 2008 7:02 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
the Puke Blue Devils
I hate the Yankees and the Detroit Red Wings for the same reason. They have bandwagon fans all across the country who can barely name 3 players and have no idea about anything else regarding the franchises. They are just the cool hats to be seen in.
The writer must've been a wolverine. Seriously, there isn't a college team more loved and hated than Notre Dame.
As for Chelsea - does anyone in the state really care? No - so how can be one of the top 5 hated teams? if you start talking about the world, then no one ouside of the US would even know OSU or most of the teams from Boston. Choose - one or the other.
One of the other posters was correct - the Cowboys would rank third or fourth (neck and grizzled old neck) with the Lakers whereas the punchless Irish should be 5th.
Posted: April 30, 2008 7:46 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I don't hate OSU.. being a MSU Alumni, we like to remind OSU about that 1 loss that they had back in the late '90's when MSU was rebuilding under Saban.. :)
long live the special one
Posted: April 30, 2008 8:10 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
ALABAMA!!! and the Yankees. Saban, Saban, Saban... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!!!
Posted: April 30, 2008 9:21 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Red Sox, Australia Cricket Team and Manchester United. Hated everywhere.....
Posted: April 30, 2008 9:27 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
michigan football
Posted: April 30, 2008 9:40 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
the Denveer Broncos and their has been, arrogant, self serving coac
Posted: April 30, 2008 9:53 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I have to wonder if all the hatred directed towards Notre Dame and Duke is somehow connected to the fact that most of the athletes in those universities actually know how to read. Sure both schools possess a "holier than thou" attitude but is that any worse than Tennessee, Penn State and Florida State's campaign to give the Bengals a challenge for the team with the most appearances in a courtroom? Or how about basketball programs that have zero percent graduation rates over half a decade?
As a Buckeye Fan, I cannot imagine us there there before, Duke, Notre Dame, or for anyone outside the SEC, the whole lot for the we are great at everything attitude. Finally, can someone please let Jerry Jones and Dallas Cowboy fans know that "The Boys" have not been America's team since Jones came in with his used car saleman tactics and ran off a legend like Tom Landry. Jones became Al Davis.
Posted: April 30, 2008 10:22 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I'm surprised that the yankees of the NFL, the Dallas Cowboys didn't make this list. I've never met anyone who truly despises Ohio St. except Michigan fans
As a Buckeye Fan, how about Duke, Notre Dame, and the Whole SEC. And could someone please tell Dallas Cowboy fans and Jerry Jones that "The Boys" have not been America's Team since Jones bought the team and used his used car/snake oil sales tactics to run off Tom Landry.
Posted: April 30, 2008 11:41 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
from the 'Loveliest Village On The Plains,' we cry out....
BAMA!
What's not to hate about those inbred, delusional, crooked rednecks?
Posted: May 1, 2008 12:38 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
no "love to hate" list is credible unless it includes Duke and Notre Dame. at least the writer redeems himself to some degree by noting the overexposure and self-righteousness of Boston fans.

also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the spurs. I like 'em, but you would think ginobili, bowen, combined with the flops and the grind-it-out games, have got to create some enemies. :) go spurs!
I am from Ohio and I absolutely despise OSU with a heated passion! Their fans are jerks, and their teams are cocky. If I could rid the world of group of people it would be THE Ohio State University fans!
Posted: May 1, 2008 3:53 AM   by Anonymous NY_Calling
Speaking as a Yankee fan, I can see why you hate us. What kills me is the Yankee fans who forgot the whole 80s and part of the 90s, when our team couldn't buy a prayer and the only thing worth watching was Donny Baseball.

Still, at least I don't have to live in Boston. As far as Notre Dame, I live in NY and have no other college to cheer for (and I'm Irish Catholic, it's beaten into us).
Posted: May 1, 2008 7:34 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Yes, OSU is hated. You guys are so delusional about your greatness and then you go and get steamrolled by the SEC teams and talk even more. I hate OSU because of their stupid red neck delusional fanbase. You can't even have a normal football conversation with one of you clowns. Everything is "OSU is the greatest!" And ask an OSU fan if they went to OSU and they'll say "no, but my cousin did." (rolleyes)

And I agree Duke and ND should be on there too. Chelsea?! Did you just come back from a Europe or something? Ask someone off the street who Chelsea is and they're more likely to say Clinton's daugher then a soccer team.
Posted: May 1, 2008 7:59 AM   by Anonymous Ghost
I think the Spurs are hated by a lot of people (not me).
Posted: May 1, 2008 9:03 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I think NOTRE DAME needs to be added to this list!
Posted: May 1, 2008 10:45 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The people have spoken. Add Notre Dame to the list.
Posted: May 1, 2008 10:57 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Notre Dame, Duke, North Carolina, Ravens. All go on the list, but If it's only five #1 Yankees, 2 Red Sox/Patriots, 3 Ravens, 4 Notre Dame, 5 Duke
Posted: May 1, 2008 11:14 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Wow! Some of you hate the Buckeyes are hated is because of fans who didn't attend the University, but have cousins who did? If THAT was the case, then no one other than Duke and Notre Dame alums should be fans of Duke and N.D.? Is that what you're saying? Get a grip! In all likelihood, those who back the Buckeyes pay plenty of tax dollars to support the institution, unlike blue bloods like at Notre Dame and Duke.

The real list:
1. Yankees
2. Cowboys
3. Patriots
4. Detroit Pistons
5. Duke

Sorry, N.D. You just lose too much to hate you any more.
The Nebraska Cornhuskers really shuck the big one.
I hate them
Posted: May 1, 2008 11:20 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The Cincinnati Bungles.
Mike Brown sucks!
Posted: May 1, 2008 11:25 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Any Boston team, esp. the Red Sox. So many dumb bandwagon fans who can't name more than 3 players (hell maybe not even that many). They're a joke.
Posted: May 1, 2008 11:30 AM   by Anonymous cachthal
Why would you have Boston on top?
Let me guess: You live in NY and your team (the Hawks)is playing a Boston team in the playoffs?
Grow the hell up teenager!
Yankees
Cowboys
Patriots
lakers
Notre Dame
As a Michigan fan, I am surprised to see Ohio State up there and not Michigan. I'll admit living out here on the west coast a lot of people dislike tOSU, but People down right hate the Winged helmet, at least tOSU has like the last 4 conference championships and two NC appearances to go with feeling like they rule, U of M doesn't even have that right now.

I do have to disagree about the comment on Red Wings fans though, I don't think there can be many bandwagon hockey fans. People in this country just don't care enough about that sport to jump on the bandwagons. There may be causal fans, as in not die hard, but will always root for them, but not too many band wagon.

My list would look like this
Yankees
Boston Teams
Lakers
Notre Dame Football
Duke Basketball
Honorable Mention
Raiders
Michigan
Pistons (at least in LA)
USC (but only because they are so dominant the last couple of years, if this is 1996, they make the list because people don't care)
Posted: May 1, 2008 11:44 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Definitly need Duke on here over Ohio State.
Posted: May 1, 2008 11:58 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
That list ain't bad...NE teams and NYY definitely. And the whole THE OSU has been played to death.
But all together, I'm going NE Teams, Philly teams, NYY, Notre Dame, and, just to be sure, NOTRE DAME! What the heck, lets go a half dozen with the French.
Posted: May 1, 2008 12:11 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Baseball: Like the movie says "Damn Yankees"
Football (NFL): Toss a coin between both New York teams
Football (NCAA): USC
Basketball (NBA): Nicks
Basketball (NCAA): St. Johns (Only because they're a NY team).
Hockey: Suprisingly not the Rangers. Instead I have to say Les Habitants
Posted: May 1, 2008 12:15 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
DA COWBOYS, OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL, THE OHIO ST UNIVERSITY, IS THERE ANOTHER OHIO WE NEED TO WORRY ABOUT. BUNCH OF MIDWESTERN IDIOTS, IN FACT ANY TEAM FROM OHIO STINKS.

W IN AUSTIN TEXAS
Posted: May 1, 2008 12:18 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Toronto Maple Leafs. Hate may be a strong word, but when it comes to the Leafs it is a strong hate.
Man United is just as, if not more hated than Chelsea. Plastic supporters, whiny manager, 95% of the fanbase is located in East Asia...

Surprised the Dallas Cowboys weren't mentioned, as they're easily more despised than the Lakers. In fact, I've never met anyone passionate enough about the NBA to hate a team enough to warrant them a place on this list.
Posted: May 1, 2008 12:44 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
CBB: Duke, Kentucky, UCLA, Michigan
(all arrogant--even in Michigan's case and they stink)
CFB: Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Florida, Hawaii (all arrogant-and Hawaii players like to rumble)
NFL: Patriots, Cowboys, Bears, Redskins (all arrogant franchises)
NBA: Lakers, Celtics, Heat, Mavs
(all arrogant or overrated or overexposed)
MLB: Yankees, Red Sox, White Sox, Cubs, Indians (arrogant, plus the Cleveland logo is very insulting)
NHL: Avs, Flames, Canadians, Leafs, Devils (just all annoying in their own way)
Why is it THE Ohio State University anyway? Are there a bunch of imposter Ohio State Universities out there that I'm not aware of?
THE Ohio State University is interpreted all wrong. It's history lies in distinguishing the university in Columbus from all the other colleges in Ohio, as in, this is THE official state college of Ohio. When we say THE OSU, that is what is meant, not, "look at us, we're great." So no, you don't get it.
Posted: May 1, 2008 1:00 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The US basketball " dream team ". The name alone smacks of the smug arrogance often associated with all that is wrong with the United States thereby giving the rest of the world ammunition to pile upon a truly wonderful country. This myopia is in my opinion why Europeans in particular have such a disdain for all things American.Fortunately as a Canadian growing up on the border I have been exposed to a great deal of what is right with the U.S. and certainly appreciate the role they play on the world's stage.
Posted: May 1, 2008 1:05 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
New York Yankees (self-explanatory)
Notre Dame Fighting Irish (same)
Duke Blue Devils (same)
New England Patriots (same)
Liverpool FC - since I see more football jerseys on college campuses than anything else except American football jerseys, football has to be included in this list. I hate Liverpool the most because of their 'plastic' American college fans that wear Gerrard jerseys and cheer when the score Champions League goals. Liverpool is much more hateable than Chelsea.
PS: And for the record, OSU does not qualify as a sports "franchise." As far as I know, college athletics is not franchised out.
MICHIGAN SUCKS, tOSU SUCKS, AND MAN-U SUCKS

that is all

and mets blow too
Posted: May 1, 2008 1:22 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
So right about hating Boston teams, if only because they're fans are the worst. I don't remmeber seeing this many Pats and Sox fans ten years ago. I'm sure we'll be seeing more green jerseys if they can beat Atlanta. Its funny, Sox fans used to cry about the Yankees, then they turned into them and started winning. The PAtriots just ot the prettiest qb and started cheating so they began winning, maybe that's what Belichik missed in Cleveland. The Giants winning the Super Bowl was th ebst day of my life, and I hate NY teams, too.
Posted: May 1, 2008 1:41 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The teams that should be hated are the ones for which the media pushes the most. Here they are:

1) LA Lakers
2) Indianapolis Colts
3) Boston Red Sox (I'm a Sox fan who hates how the media jump on the Sox bandwagon and off the Yankees bandwagon)
4) Detroit Red Wings
5 (tie) Phil Mickelson/Andy Roddick (not teams in the classical sense but franchises nonetheless)

As for the Patriots, it's the media who loves to hate them and why not, most of em live in NY.
Posted: May 1, 2008 1:42 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I hate the Cowboys. That coke snorting group of vagabonds who think they are God's gift to mankind. I hate them. so.
Posted: May 1, 2008 1:52 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I root against fans not teams.

And Boston fans are the worst by far. Not even close. They treat sports like life or death. They don't even have fun at the games because they're worrying so much. Lighten up you jerks, it's sports.
Posted: May 1, 2008 1:56 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The cubs. They do define tradition though; always sucked, always will.
Posted: May 1, 2008 2:21 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Army, Navy, Air Force
Posted: May 1, 2008 2:31 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
i can not stand the Flyers, they are a disgrace to professional hockey or the Eagles are just horrible. also throw in the devils and the braves although i hate them less then the others
This is without a doubt the author's own personal hate list bar none !!!

This article is bogus and extremely biased !!!
Posted: May 1, 2008 3:16 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Q: How do you know when it is spring?
A: When the Leafs are out.
Ha Ha.
Posted: May 1, 2008 3:43 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
got to love the fact that the yankeess haven't won a title since that picture came out. NICE SI jinx huh?

leaving off TEAM NBC/ Notre dame was a travesty but then again so is the team these days.

how can you leave off the braves themselves? another so called america's team based on a cable superstation. Bobby cox is so aggravating.

if we include colleges how can we not include ANY SEC team? PLEASE talk about obnoxious. can you win a game outside the south? seriously. play a REGULAR SEASON game against another BCS school...and not AT HOME or NEUTRAL

Duke basketball. UNC. flop happy, touch me and i bleed ACC teams....

shall i continue?
Posted: May 1, 2008 3:56 PM   by Anonymous Joe
I don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan, the whole state of Michigan, the whole state of Michigan
Posted: May 1, 2008 3:57 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I'm from Ohio, and there are no more annoying fans than Ohio State fans. Your band isn't any better or worse than any other band in the country!!
Posted: May 1, 2008 4:03 PM   by Anonymous Rocktoberfest
First!
Posted: May 1, 2008 4:13 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Post 2:21 re: Army, Navy, Air Force...

what a sorrowful post. you need help.
Posted: May 1, 2008 4:16 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Ohio State can't win the big win? Did I just imagine the 2002 title.
Posted: May 1, 2008 4:26 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
NFL: COWBOYS
MLB: YANKEES
NBA: CAVALIERS
NHL: FLYERS
CBB: DUKE
Posted: May 1, 2008 4:41 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The raiders top this list. Who in their right mind doesn't like seeing the raiders fall to their team.
Posted: May 1, 2008 5:19 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
First of all, soccer is irrelevant in the US. Boggles the mind anyone would even consider Man U, Chelsea, etc. for this list - who cares?

1) All Boston - obnoxious
2) NY Yankees - foul
3) ND - clowns
4) Lakers - plastic
5) Duke - sickening

Honorable Mention:
OSU - sure sports are decent, but school is crap - how proud can you be?
White Sox - get over your Cubs inferiority complex
Posted: May 1, 2008 5:21 PM   by Anonymous Travis
I may hate OSU, but the fans aren't that bad, no worse than other college football fans. I do hate that annoying band and the stupid dotting the I thing. Who cares that some fat tuba guy can do high kicks?
Posted: May 1, 2008 5:27 PM   by Anonymous mt_law749
1) Dallas Cowboys
2) NY Yankees
3) Duke
4) Notre Dame
5) NE Patriots

The top 4 are obvious and long standing hates. The 5th is almost solely based on their recent success and the arrogance it has provided. I mean seriously it takes some stones to be that arrogant when you know your cheating.
I do find it interesting though that I don't hate any individual player on the Pats. They play hard dont talk to much trash but there coach and what the team as a whole has begun to symbolize is definetly hate worthy.
Posted: May 1, 2008 5:32 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
NFL = Patriots - Belicheat; Brady's classless
NBA = Lakers - bandwagon fans; Kobe's an absolute jerk when things aren't going well
MLB = Yankees - outspend everyone; prissy ARod
CFB = USC - somebody wipe Carroll's smug look off his face
CBB = Duke - no, you don't deserve every call just because you're Duke.
Soccer = Manchester United - Europe's version of yankees/lakers

Common theme for all these teams - a sense of entitlement.
Posted: May 1, 2008 5:38 PM   by Blogger Ian
Where to start......

Cowboys
Any Philly pro team
Norte Dame
Cubs Fans (yeah we get it, it's been a long time, cry me a river)
Penn St (retire please JoePa)
Posted: May 1, 2008 6:22 PM   by Anonymous astorian
I don't really hate any team all that much (though the Red Sox have been trying mighty hard to make me hate them!).

But there are certain teams that have always inspired ridiculous, irrational love AND ridiculous, irrational hatred. They are:

1) In baseball, the New York Yankees
2) In pro football, the Dallas Cowboys
3) In the NBA, the Boston Celtics
4) In the NHL, Montreal Canadiens
5) In college football, Notre Dame.
6) In college basketball, Duke.

What makes those teams unique is, even when they're bad for longs stretches, the irrational love and hatred never fade. People loathe Notre Dame and Duke just as much when they're down as when they're up.

That's different from current hatred of the Patriots. I mean, ten years from now, when Brady and Belichick are retired and the Pats are a medicore team, no one will care about them any more, let alone hate them. But people will still hate the Cowboys passionately.
Posted: May 1, 2008 6:39 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
What?!?!? No mention of the Dallas Cowboys???? They are certainly more hated than the LA Lakers.... c'mon!

And ditto on those calling out Duke as well.
Posted: May 1, 2008 7:34 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The Knicks - the rare distinction of being hated by their own fans.
Posted: May 1, 2008 8:03 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Being a Notre Dame fan, I can't fathom why the Irish aren't on the list. Just being a fan gets me harassed as holy hell. The only reason I can come up with for the Irish NOT to be on the list is the fact that it's a modern list and it's hard to put a team that absolutely sucks right now in the group. If this is the case, OSU should absolutely be on the list. I can't believe this is even a question. Year after year all I hear about it how great OSU is, how long they're in the top 3 in the country, and then BAM they lose in the championship game and everybody blames it on "one bad game." Come to think of it, they should be 0-3 in championship games if it wasn't for that terrible call against Miami...and I actually rooted for OSU in that game. This isn't to say the Irish suck in the postseason as of late...which they do...a lot...but that should be the last you see of them in the postseason for a good long time.

What I REALLY don't understand is why everyone seems to hate the Colts so much. I mean, I know they've choked in all but one post-season as of late, and everybody makes them out to be amazing on ESPN and all, but is that really HATE worthy? From what I've known their fans aren't overly obnoxious, and they seem to have some pretty upstanding sportsmanship. What, put them up there for not doing stupid dances in the endzone after a touchdown? Or maybe because of all Peyton Manning's lame commercials, but I have a hard time hating a team for one player.
Posted: May 1, 2008 8:40 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Detroit Red Wings
Dallas Cowboys
Chicago Cubs
NY Yankees
All Boston Teams except the Bruins
Posted: May 1, 2008 8:52 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
To the poster above, OSU's school is crap? OSU is a Public Ivy. Perhaps you're getting OSU and the Big Ten confused with the SEC where academics are second rate.
Posted: May 1, 2008 9:12 PM   by Anonymous tony
really? boston teams? the sox go over 90 years without winning a title..the celts havent won since the 80's...just because they have a good team finally everyone hates them? you shouldnt have been such a wuss and just put the Pats..everyone hates them..even people like me from new england...they are the team to hate...
Posted: May 1, 2008 10:10 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Chelsea??????

1) Duke
2) Patriots
3) Red Sox
4) Cowboys
5) Redskins

I used to live in Columbus and trust me, their fans are too pathetic to hate. They have no life except for that team. The only thing I can compare it is Tennessee fans.
Posted: May 1, 2008 10:30 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Duke basketball
FSU football
Redsox baseball
Posted: May 1, 2008 10:44 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Before I looked, I thought: Yankees, Patriots, Lakers, Duke basketball, some European soccer club that nobody in America cares about. So I was close.

Cowboys - good catch. How about:

- Oakland Raiders
- Univ. of Miami football
Posted: May 2, 2008 1:59 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
NCAA:
Ohio State: If you met their fans, you'd hate them too.

Notre Dame: Rudy is the best thing about your program. Jimmy Clausen is the next Ron Powlus. You read it here.

Wisconsin: Their basketball program sets offensive basketball back 50 years.

Duke: Do I need any reasons?

USC: Like someone mentioned about ESPN pimping the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry, they did the same with USC a couple years ago by having Shelly Smith posted at USC year round.

Tennessee Volunteers: Two words: Fat Fulmer.

Pro Sports:

All teams from Boston. Enjoy that Red Sox title while you can, because the Celtics, Bruins and Pats won't be bringing home the hardware this year.

The White Sox: Your tv commercials suck.

The Detroit Lions: Because they made me hate the NFL by forcing me to watch them while growing up in Michigan.
Posted: May 2, 2008 2:17 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I hate the Australian Cricket team.
Posted: May 2, 2008 3:16 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Thanks be to God there are other Notre Dame haters out there! Kudos to you all!
Posted: May 2, 2008 3:40 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I love to hate Ohio State University!!!! Have you ever been to Columbus? Its really the armpit of America! If the state of Ohio blew up, would anyone really even notice. Think about it, what in Ohio matters??? See I told you, nothing right!
Posted: May 2, 2008 4:35 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Yeah, I'm surprised the Dallas Cowboys aren't on the list (I actually like them after the Patriots.)

Anyway, as a New Yorker originally from Boston, I really only hate the Yankees.

Now I hate the Giants, and the Hawks. I used to hate the Lakers, the 76ers, and the Pistons, but that was twenty years ago and those teams now aren't as obnoxious, though I think the current Pistons are arrogant.
Posted: May 2, 2008 7:37 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Not a bad List, but you lefty out one of the most hated teams in the NFL: The Cowboys. I would say that 90% of the country OUTSIDE of Texas hates them.
Posted: May 2, 2008 8:55 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Ohio State? Huh?

Dallas....COWBOYS.

DALLAS COWBOYS.

DALLAS FREAKING COWBOYS.

Are you kidding me?
Posted: May 2, 2008 9:11 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Boston fans have always loved their teams, even through the tough times, in fact they are probably the least fair weather fans in the country. If you have seen any Celtics game when they were bad, people still went, same with the Sox, and the Pats. Look at the Yankees, those are fairweather fans, they still cant fill Yankee Stadium for every home game, no wonder why the Evil Empire wants to close it. People always seem to hate the winners, I hate the Yankees no matter what win or lose. And for the poster that wrote Army, Navy, and Air Force, you are a moron, the only truly amatuer athletes in college football anymore.
Posted: May 2, 2008 9:31 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Since the title of the article is sports franchises I don't understand how any collegiate team can be included in the list; they're not franchises people!

With that said, I am an Ohio State fan, and yes we are that hated because of the vocal 1% idiocy that makes us look like jackasses from Columbus to all over the internet.
Posted: May 2, 2008 10:17 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
WOW!!!! Lots of people jealous of the NE Patriots not being their team.

I have to go with "Americas Team"

Not this American
Posted: May 2, 2008 10:32 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Duke
Notre Dame
Yankees
Red Sox
Cowboys
I've told a buddy about this list for years, and I love the Cowboys and Duke but realize who the media love and the fans hate.

The Real top 5

1. Yankees
2. Cowboys
3. Duke Basketball
4. L.A. Lakers
5. Notre Dame

They are also the most popular teams in their sports, like or not.
Posted: May 2, 2008 11:01 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Far and away the Dallas Cowboys. Their fairweather fans LOVE to trumpet their five Super Bowls. While it is impressive, it's not the most, by far. Not only do BOTH the Niners and Steelers have five Lombardi's, the NFL was in existence long before the Cowboys came to be in 1960 (a shocking revelation to most of their fans!).

And even then since 1960, they haven't won the most Championships. That'd be the Green Bay Packers with 6 (3 NFL Titles, 3 Super Bowls). And they lead the way with 12 total titles.

So please Cowboys fans, before you remind us...AGAIN...how many Super Bowls you've won. Please, focus on winning that playoff game that has eluded you for the past 11 years. It's really not that difficult. Even the Cardinals pulled that off (ironically, they beat the Cowboys...in Dallas!!)
Posted: May 2, 2008 11:19 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1. Yankees
2. Eagles
3. Manchester United
4. Lakers
5. Raiders

Each are blessed with an large number of exceptionally stupid fans.
AMEN to the #1 pick.

Beantown is so saturated that any semblance of "The Underdog" is gone forever.

Lang..love the ATL Hawks blog btw..
Posted: May 2, 2008 11:37 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Chelsea is right. I hate those guys. For years, Man U was the 'Yankees of the Premier League' but they've been trumped. Chelsea plays an ugly game with an embarrassing sense of entitlement.
Posted: May 2, 2008 11:38 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Speaking of the jerks from Chelsea...
Posted: May 2, 2008 11:44 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Dick Vitale - If he is not a franchise, what is?
Jim Nance/Billy Packer - Shut up and watch the game, guys.
Dook
Georgia Dawgs - a state U and they can't even spell the friggin mascot right Woof Woof Woof my ***
Any Team with Big Mouths Joachim Noah/Terrell Owens
Posted: May 2, 2008 11:50 AM   by Anonymous Mostel
My top five:

1) LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant has to be just about the most arrogant, worthless, and annoying athlete on the planet. To top it off his disrespectful comments towards Philadelphia have yet to be avenged by some type of hard foul or other bashing.
2) Pittsburgh Penguins: Sid the Kid is an awesome player. So here’s some advice; SHUT UP, PLAY HARD, AND STOP TAKING DIVES!
3) Texas Longhorns: Vince Young = overrated. DJ Augstine = overrated. Obvious George W. Bush affiliation is annoying as well.
4) New York Giants: Congrats on having the most annoying (and easy to best up) fans in the world. Your team has an overrated QB, unrealistic sense of its own skill, and a coach who should have been assaulted by any one of 200 of his own players. To top it off you won your last two Super Bowls on chokes by way better teams.
5) New York Mets: Your foul fans infest Citizens Bank Ballpark with their stupid “Lets go Mets” chants. Go back to Jersey and hide in your swamp stench neighborhoods. You folks are good for nothing except punching bags.
As far as college "franchises" go, there's NO WAY that tOSU makes this list ahead of Notre Dame, USC, Duke, Miami (Fl), Florida & Florida State as well as the entire sec in general....outside of the south, we're all sick of the national media slurping them as the best top to bottom....PUHLEASE....they have 4 or 5 decent teams and 7 or 8 that pretty much suck.....so tell me again, how are they so great top to bottom???

VISIT "THE" BUCKEYE NATION
Posted: May 2, 2008 12:27 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Ohio State is known as "The" Ohio State University because they were sued by Ohio University over the use of the name Ohio. OU was founded first and won the case. So to be in compliance they had to add "The" to the name.
Posted: May 2, 2008 12:31 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Chicago Blackhawks, or even the Ducks.
Posted: May 2, 2008 12:58 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
So based on this, it's not the teams you hate, it's their respective fan bases. There's a huge difference and it must be noted. You can hate Red Sox fans all you want, but you can't hate the players who have genuine chemistry and enjoy playing together. You can hate Celtics fans all you want, but you can't hate three veteran All-Stars suppressing their egos and messing with a deep roster that plays incredible defense. And you can hate Pats fans all you want, but you can't hate a team built on just that: T.E.A.M., and not on me-first guys like Chad Johnson or criminals like Pacman Jones.
Posted: May 2, 2008 1:29 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I hate ExxonMobil
Posted: May 2, 2008 1:31 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The Yankees/Red Sox are like the ExxonMobil of MLB.
Posted: May 2, 2008 1:32 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
University of Texas..The Most arrogant university without multiple championship appearances..

New York "Football" Giants..the Baseball giants moved to San Fran like a 100 years ago..get over it ESPN!

Hockey Town-Detriot Redwings

Green Bay Packers tired of Favre-arama

And every team in Boston!
Posted: May 2, 2008 1:36 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
FINALLY someone mentioned the t-sips. those hippies can't get enough of themselves
Posted: May 2, 2008 2:02 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
LSU Tiger fans. They bring 5,000 more than they have tickets for to away games. Those that don't illegally find their way into the stadium will vandalize and trash the town in which they are playing. Check with local police of SEC towns. The force is doubled when LSU is in town.
Posted: May 2, 2008 3:04 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous

I can't believe that sport is popular. It makes hockey look fun.
Posted: May 2, 2008 3:16 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Packers!!! Can't be more annoying that drunking morons in blaze orange.
Posted: May 2, 2008 3:22 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
i agree, how can you leave off duke! everyone hates them! also, what about the spurs. Duncan is good,but tge rest of that team is garbage. they are a bunch of floppers and babies who act well. i can't even watch their games without getting upset.
Posted: May 2, 2008 4:46 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
After reading all of these posts, I have concluded without irreproachable validation (I will provide my full proof upon request) that there are only 5 truly hated teams:

1: Any franchise that has been bleached into the media as being the "greatest" in that sport without RECENT proof of greatness.

2: Any franchise that has underachieved in all aspects, been over-rated, and is continually voted as a top-tier team.

3: Any franchise that has been a dominating force, but has achieved it through "purchased" talent and not hard work.

4: Any franchise that has been a rival of one's favorite team.

5: Any franchise whose followers rave of the team's successes when the team has clearly not been held in high regard by rest of society.

With hundreds of franchises to choose from, there is no one list that will have the full support of the populace.

Since most people find pleasure in arguing, I hereby name this phenomenon as the "Cycle of Stupidity". So keep on arguing, and keep this thread alive.
Posted: May 2, 2008 5:31 PM   by Anonymous JFJ
To OSUBuckeye4Life: Every team you mentioned except Duke and Notre Dame has played for or won more national championships in football over the last twenty years than Ohio State. So those other teams must be better. If you include basketball, then Duke is in the group as well. Miami (FL) is the only one they've played and beaten in the same time period. BTW, Ohio State has gotten crushed by SEC teams (41-14 by Florida on January 8, 2007 and 38-24 by LSU on January 7, 2008) in the last two BCS Championship games.

To the poster two above me: Either you're the one that's drunk or you need a new TV. The Green Packers DO NOT wear orange. Their colors are GREEN and GOLD.
Posted: May 2, 2008 6:10 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1. Yankees 2. Yankees 3. Yankees 4. Yankees 5. Yankees
Posted: May 2, 2008 7:14 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1) Notre Dame Football

2) Duke Basketball

3) Boston Celtics

4) New York Yankees

5) Ohio State Football

Dishonorable Mention: Univ. of Florida Football, Any Former Team associated with Karl Malone, USC Football and Kentucky Basketball
Posted: May 2, 2008 7:41 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
"Chelsea? Isn't that some Euro soccer team? Who cares about a freakin soccer team?

I can't believe that sport is popular. It makes hockey look fun."

I can't believe your so stupid.

Chelsea has to be the most hated team right there along with Man Utd. Both teams spend a ridiculous amount of money grabbing players from everywhere much like the Yankees and Red Sox.

Oh and for those that don't think people don't hate OSU that much, they do. OSU is arguably more hated than Duke. Most people around Ohio that aren't in Columbus hate OSU. Their fans are obnoxious and annoying. It's always fun seeing them get their arses handed over to them.
Posted: May 2, 2008 9:21 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The Yankees...Why?...Becouse they are the G** D*** YANKEES!
Posted: May 2, 2008 9:24 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The Yankees...Why?...Because they are the G** D*** YANKEES!
Posted: May 2, 2008 9:58 PM   by Anonymous Dagger
My top 5:

College Basketball: Duke/Kentucky (arrogant fans)
College Football: Miami Hurricanes/Notre Dame (thugs/media darlings)
Pro Baseball: NYY/Boston Red Sox (obnoxious fans)
NFL: Dallas/New England (braggarts/cheaters)
NBA: Lakers(Kobe Bryant)
Posted: May 2, 2008 11:34 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
OSU is a franchise? While we Buckeye fans love the fact that you include us in any list ( It keeps our name out there for yet more top recruits to see), did Mr. Whitaker in fact read the title of his post?
I guess i just don't understand why people would argue with Ohio State being on the list? "Buckeye Nation" is the most annoying, arrogant group of neaderthals I ever met. I live in Columbus and I dread OSU football season! I love college football (go Spartans), but hate OSU. If they lose, they want to fire the coach and they burn down the city, if they win they burn down the city! A few years ago, the monday after beating U of M I was listening to a local call in show. Instead of people calling in to talk about how good OSU did, they called to complain about the apparent "maize and blue tie" Brent Musberger was wearing...for 3 freaking hours! No joke! And if OSU is such a high academic school, then how come they would let a retard like Andy Katzenmoyer come in?

P.S. Nobody outside of "Buckeye Nation" gives to squirts of crap about your band!

Screw Ohio State!
Posted: May 3, 2008 1:46 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Ohio State? Seriously? Haters only hate out of jealousy; nothing else. Why are they hated? Because they have lost in recent championship games? The only championship loss that holds water is the '06 football loss to FLA, but apparently one bad loss doesn't deserve a pass. Is losing to perhaps the most talented basketball team this decade shameful? Is losing to a more talented and more experienced LSU team in a de-facto road game? Didn't they beat what is widely considered the most talented CFB team ever assembled only five years ago? Don't hate OSU; hate the Big Ten for making it easy on them. I am f*cking sick and tired of SEC homers living vicariously through the conference's championship teams. Bottom line is that the B10 has played the SEC toe-to-toe in bowl games the past decade (B10 has gone 9-7 in last 16 bowl games), despite 1) consistently playing their #3 vs SEC #2, #4 vs SEC #3, etc., 2) playing all of those bowl games in SEC-friendly weather (would love to see an SEC team play at the Shoe in November), and 3) perhaps most significantly, getting on-average three fewer recruiting scholarships per year due to the SEC's pathetic admissions standards and requirements relative to the B10 (byproduct of a conference far more concerned with athletics than academic integrity). This writer (whom I have never heard of) is obviously an SEC homer.
Posted: May 3, 2008 4:17 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Buckeyes going on 40 years without a legit football NC...

So very sad indeed!!!
Posted: May 3, 2008 4:35 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
How are the Raiders not on here. The NFL Network just named the biggest feud in NFL history the Raiders vs the league partially because of Al Davis's law suits but also because whether the Raiders are playing the Chiefs or the Bengals everyone outside of Raider Nation wants them to lose
I'm an Ohio State fan, and I must say, our fans can be annoying. The problem is that most of us are normal fans like anyone else, but all anyone pays attention to are the over the top annoying ones, and hence our reputation. As far as losing the big game, yeah, we have, and we haven't looked good...downright terrible in fact, but we're still a solid football team that competes every year. I'm okay with that. Another championship would be great, but I realize it's not going to happen every year.
Posted: May 3, 2008 7:34 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Dallas Cowboys, Jerry Jones and his team of bandits. Ever since the movie Brokeback Mtn. cowboys are'nt the same anymore. Giddy Up.
THE Ohio State University....oh, do you mean that same one that keeps getting waxed in Championship Games? That one? They deserve their spot on the list, that's for sure. Even an referee-aided win against "The U" won't help the rest of us lose our hatred for "THE OSU".

Notre Dame should also make the list, though I think with all of their recent losing people just don't care anymore about the Dolden Gomers.

And yes, I do feel that the San Antonio Spurs should be on this list. Everyone is tired of that old act where Timmy's eyes bulge out, and he starts to whine after getting a foul called on him. He's even taught Tony Longoria to do it, as well as Flopu Ginobilli.
Posted: May 3, 2008 12:39 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1. NBC - Because they give all that money to Notre Dame.
2. Notre Dame - Because they don't share the money with other Big East schools.
3. Notre Dame - As a "religious" school, you'd think they'd be more generous.
4. Notre Dame - They're hypocrites.
5. Notre Dame - They could go 0-12 and still be in a BCS bowl game.
Posted: May 3, 2008 2:33 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The Yankees are defanitely the most hated team in sports. End of discussion.
Posted: May 3, 2008 2:34 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The Dallas cowboys are up there also.
The reason that OSU started calling itself "The" Ohio State University is for all of the morons who think that Ohio University in Athens and Ohio State University are the SAME school. They aren't.
Posted: May 3, 2008 6:17 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The Dallas CowPokes. 1st, last, always. May they never score another point.

FSU 2nd. May they never field a full team and lose every game by 50 points.
Posted: May 3, 2008 7:48 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Teams I hate because they are just boring:

1. Arizona Cardinals
2. Seattle Seahawks
3. Detoit Lions
4. Indiana Pacers
5. Timberwolves

Teams i just hate
1. Yankees
2. Spurs
3. 49ers
4. Philly Eagles
5. Patriots

And then I must end with

GO COWBOYS!!!!!GO COWBOYS!!!!!
GO COWBOYS!!!!!GO COWBOYS!!!!!
GO COWBOYS!!!!!GO COWBOYS!!!!!
GO COWBOYS!!!!!GO COWBOYS!!!!!
Posted: May 3, 2008 9:52 PM   by Anonymous NYJjeff
and yet those all pale in comparison to those abhorrent patriots...
Posted: May 4, 2008 1:49 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The Dallas Cowboys should be number one on this list, no doubt! All the crap with a horrible owner, a bunch of criminals (like Pacman and Tank Johnson), a stone handed prima donna, a overrated QB who is more famous for his girlfriends, and a horrible "player's coach" more famous for his daddy than his playoff wins...I forgot, no playoff wins. And no playoff wins for the Cowboys since 1997. Never mind. This list should look like this:
1. Dallas Cowboys
2. New York Yankees
3. Boston Red Sox (they are getting unbearable)
4. Ohio State football (they are turning into the new Notre Dame as far as I am concerned, and I loved the fact that they got whupped by good Southern teams the last two years)
5. Lakers (now they are winning again, watch out for the fairweather fans to come out of the woodwork)

Sorry, but I don't hate on Duke basketball and Notre Dame football because they both suck. Same goes for the Raiders. When they get better, then their "fans' will come out of the woodwork and they will be hated again.
Posted: May 4, 2008 3:02 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
all of boston sports, b*tchin and moanin about their red sox 86-year drought when they had the partiots superbowl glory at the start of the millenium. try being a diehard cleveland sports fan and not having championships of any kind to celebrate in 44 years.

take off chelsea, throw on man U.
Posted: May 4, 2008 3:19 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Gotta say. Being A Philly fan in New JErsey that I personally could crucify the Giants Devils Rangers Mets Yankees. They don't have real fans They should all just be called the North Jersey Italians all of them.
Posted: May 4, 2008 5:15 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
pittsburgh steelers and new england patriots, front runner fans, most of them can't name 6 players on their own teams.
SEC football, their fans are rednecks who base their entire lives around football because of their dull ass lives, plus there are 3 teams in the conference called the TIgers.
Posted: May 5, 2008 4:35 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The White Sox. All they do is complain about the Cubs, and blame their misfortunes on everyone but themselves. Their fans are not real fans. They are just Cubs haters who need a team to root for
OH mercy how is Duke not on this list? I don't think most people care about THE Ohio State University outside of the Big 10. I do like how they grouped sports teams from Boston into one group, because they all have fans that are d-bags who think they're better then anyone.

I have a whole blog dedicated to teams I and others hate. www.ipropablyhateyourteam.blogspot.com
Chelsea? CLINTON? WTF??
Any discussion about "most hated franchise" begins and ends with the Dallas Cowboys. America's Team - MY AZZ!
NY Yankers are a close second though.
Posted: May 5, 2008 2:01 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The Italian team for the 2006 World cup. With practice sessions for throwing themselves on the ground to fake being hurt to the mother-disrespecting, oponent-clubbing, too-tall defender that cannot speak the truth to save his immortal soul... Gotta hate 'em!
Posted: May 5, 2008 3:24 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
This is for JFJ ( May 2 5:31 PM). I believe your comment to the individual regarding his apparent lack of sobriety or a need to purchase a new TV should be withdrawn. The writer of which you speak was in all likelihood referring to the colour of hunting vests and not the teams jerseys. This subtlety being lost on you certainly validates his opinion.
Posted: May 5, 2008 4:09 PM   by Anonymous Mikey14
1. Duke basketball (this is why, this is why, this is why you SUCK!!) ...especially Shane Battier, that funny-looking flopping foul-smelling (probably) embodiment of all that is soulless and evil!! Oh God I hate them so much.
2. Florida State football, though they do give me some joy these days with all their losses
3. NY Yankees...notice how they stopped winning the World Series around the time that carpetbagger A-Rod showed up? You heard it here first: he's a curse and no team he plays for will ever win it all.
4. Cowboys, although I hated them a LOT more during the days of Johnson/Aikman/Irvin/Smith and that fathead tight end who used to kill the Redskins. I still hate them for old time's sake.
5. Peter Angelos and what he's done to my beloved Orioles. It's redundant to wish he goes to hell. I think he's already there, stewing in his miserable arrogant idiocy.

Full disclosure: grew up in Maryland, attended UMd, live in Seattle
I HATE ALABAMA!
Posted: May 5, 2008 9:08 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The only team on that list that MIGHT deserve to be ahead of The Dallas Cowboys is The Yanks. How you left the self-professed Team of America off this list is more mind boggling than the fact that The Cowboys actually do, in fact, consider themselves "America's Team,"
Posted: May 5, 2008 9:52 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
How about the Penguins? The NHL and the media are drooling all over them. It's sickening. The preferential treatment they get from the refs is a disgrace. NBC - "NOTHING BUT CROSBY"
Posted: May 6, 2008 7:30 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1. Patriots(18-1,but your still blubbering about Perfection!)

2. Yankees (Because they are them)

3. Cowboys (America's team for crying out loud!)

4. Duke ('nuff said)

5. Norte Dame (Nbc Tv contract and 3-9?!)
Posted: May 6, 2008 11:16 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Miami hurricanes turn in a season of mediocrity and get the #1 recruiting class. They are who I love to hate.
Posted: May 6, 2008 12:25 PM   by Anonymous Zac
I'm surprised Duke and Notre Dame weren't on the list.
Posted: May 6, 2008 12:25 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I live in Tampa, FL, so I have to hate the Yankee's. New Yorker's and Bostonians both claim to own the bay area. Being one of the few native Floridians left in the state, I have to say it is offensive to have either team rooted for, but the worst is the Yankees and their classes fans. Such a rude bunch of people that no nothing of Southern Hospitality and general manners. I wish they would just go back to that frozen sewer of NYC and take their crappy bagels with them. This is Florida, should root for the Rays or Marlins, even if they are not winners of recently (or in the Rays case, ever)
Posted: May 6, 2008 12:41 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
How you could possibly not have a list which is comprised of the Dallas Cowboys and the Duke Blue Devils is unfathomable. They even hate themselves!
Posted: May 6, 2008 12:48 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Being a diehard Boston sports fan, I love to see and feel the hatred, or is it envy?, directed towards our teams and fans. How many of you out there wouldn't trade your sorry-ass teams for the the Sox, Pats and Celtics? Not many. While you're watching American Idol tonight, debating which no-talent wannabe should be eliminated, we'll be watching the Celtics smack around LeBron and his boys and the Sox toy with the overrated Tigers, a team that resembles a beer-league softball team. Sweet dreams losers!!!
Posted: May 6, 2008 12:52 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1. The Ohio State Buckeyes
2. Notre Dame Football
3. Duke Basketball
4. Wisconsin Badgers (especially their basketball team, which has set offensive basketball back 50 years).
5. The Detroit Lions (I grew up in Michigan and now find it hard to watch NFL games because of them).
Posted: May 6, 2008 1:45 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I think after reading all the comments that the list should be renamed "Five Sports Franchises We ENVY". Who wouldn't want to ne a fan of WINNERS you people?
Posted: May 7, 2008 5:38 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1 - usc football
2 - barry bonds
3 - karl malone
4 - rich rodriguezzzzzz
5 - sports without half-naked female cheerleaders!!
Posted: May 7, 2008 8:03 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
fans from the University of Ohio State (thank you "Michelle" Pryor) are far worse than Noder Shame fans.
Posted: May 19, 2008 10:00 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT THE OAKLAND RAIDERS ARE NOT ON THE LIST, Especially Bill Romanowski F****** COW... OH yeh and Duke Basketball team should be on the list
Posted: May 20, 2008 3:55 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
1. Notre Dame Football
2. Dallas Cowboys
3. ANY Pittsburgh team - U of Pitt, Steelers, Penquins, Pirates.
4. San Francisco 49ers
5. Detroit Red Wings
6. ANY team from Boston - Patriots, Celtics, Red Sox, Bruins.
7. And last, but not least, that never-ending pity party aka the Chicago Cubs.
Posted: May 22, 2008 12:47 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
The Dallas Cowboys are either Loved or Hated, there is no in between. So they are the most Loved and the most hated all at the same time.
Posted: May 24, 2008 5:35 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
spurs because they whine about everything!
Posted: May 30, 2008 11:01 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Ohio State fans are annoying both when they are winning and when they are losing. Sweater vest, the buckstache...
Posted: May 31, 2008 8:06 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Gee, wonder why any SEC team should be considered more hated than Ohio State? Oh, I know: we keep kicking your butts in BCS championship games!
Just kidding, but I agree, Notre Dame football, Duke basketball, Dallas Cowboys, Yankees and Celtics.
Buckeyes, the Georgia Bulldogs will see you in January! Bring you B-game. Oh, that's right, that's all ya got!
Posted: May 31, 2008 8:13 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
I can arbitrarily claim to prefer certain sports-people over others too!
Posted: June 1, 2008 7:50 AM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Man United seriously sucks. From the gum-chewing, whiney manager and the primadonna overagressive players in the past and present (Cantona, Kiene, Scholes, Ronaldo)to the non-Manchester based bandwagon 'fans', there's plenty to hate!
Ask any hockey fan not from the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) and he will tell you the Toronto Maple Leafs. Haven't won since '67, but they parade their tin foil stanley cups down Younge Street every year anyways
The OSU isn't even the most hated team in college sports. I grew up in Columbus, went to another Ohio school-BGSU, and I rooted for OSU vs BGSU a few years back. I'll tell you why the Buckeyes have some hatred. Its one of the biggest college campuses in one of the biggest cities in the US. So, as the numbers go there are a ton of OSU fans based on proximity. In columbus the demographic is mostly overwieght right-winged hard working people that don't have a professional sport to root for, except for the Blue Jackets as of late. So yea if you sit down in a bar in "Anytown USA" chances are you might be sitting next to an OSU fan. Chances are they just like OSU because they have been fed by the marketing, and the cool shirt their uncle bought them for Christmas. They don't really have to many options of other sports or teams to like, nor knowledge of football outside OSU. Is it really their fault they love a team that is in contention every other season and it gets them excited.

BTW the horseshoe was built in 1922 and my father has an origonal program handed down from his grandma. Only one person in my family graduated from OSU. That explains the culture in columbus, so hate ND or Duke, I don't thinks programs passed down from 1922 exist for those programs, atleast not through non-alumnists average people in rual homes.
1. The Baltimore Ravens - To Steelers' fans, they're nothing but "The Old Cleveland Browns" to us, so they'll forever be hated. Plus, what the owners did to the Browns' fans in Cleveland was just terrible. They lied to those people up there about keeping the name and the colors the same. We in Pittsburgh may not like the Browns or their fans, but we respect them and their loyalty.

2. The "New" Cleveland Browns - Simply because they're the Cleveland Browns. The Steelers-Browns rivalry will never die.

3. The Dallas Cowboys - "America's Team" my ass. Nobody likes the actual team - they just like the cheerleaders.

4. The New York Yankees - I just never liked them. *shrugs shoulders*

5. The New England Patiots - Seriously, somebody should've called Joey Grecco from the T.V. show "Cheaters". It would have been hilarious to see THEM getting filmed on-camera fliming other teams signals on camera.
Do you remember where the marketing of the villain that everyone came out to see whupt began? Right, wrestling. In fact, Ali says he developed his personality from watching one Gorgeous George, who came into the ring in a lovely ermine robe and had his long silky blond hair sprayed before each bout.I remember GG. Very successful character actor.

A less successful version: Bobby Riggs.
Posted: June 18, 2008 4:18 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
DUKE, nationally hated, most peolpe outside of the midwest don't give a flip, and I would replace Chelsea with the cowboys.
Posted: June 20, 2008 4:55 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Wow. This article is awful.
Posted: July 7, 2008 9:43 PM   by Anonymous Anonymous
Patriots, Celtics, Red Sox, and Red Wings... funny all the sports worl Champions
Posted: August 4, 2008 11:55 AM   by Anonymous Panama Jack
THE DALLAS COWBOYS AREN'T ON THIS LIST? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
The Dallas Cowboys (minus the cheerleaders)
divider line