We rank 'em. You react. That's how the Daily List rolls.
4/19/2007 04:28:00 PM
Best NBA Announcers
By Mike McAllister, SI.com
Good things happen to you when you rank No. 1 on the Daily List.
The NBA playoffs have started, which means plenty of couch time in front of the 32-inch high-def LCD screen. The games will be fun to watch, but the announcing can enhance (or detract from) the viewing experience. Here are my top five NBA announcers. Feel free to send me your list.
1. Charles Barkley ... So insightful at times, but can also be off the mark on occasion. Either way, that quality of unpredictability makes Barkley the one guy you absolutely must listen to.
2. Hubie Brown ... Walking encyclopedia of hoops and knows how to teach it without sounding like that boring professor you had in college.
3. Bill Walton ... Yeah, I know -- I'm in the minority here. But I don't care that he comes across as goofy or contradictory or irritating or just nonsensical. Whether intentional or not, he'll make me laugh at least once during every game.
4. Marv Albert ... His voice was made for the NBA game. Has it really been 10 years since "the incident"?
5. Ernie Johnson Jr. ... The voice of reason in the TNT studio. Barkley wouldn't be nearly as effective if EJ doesn't set the table.