We rank 'em. You react. That's how the Daily List rolls.
11/19/2007 01:25:00 PM
Five Owners We Love
Robert Kraft has seen an unbelievable amount of success since purchasing the New England Patriots.
Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images
By Lang Whitaker, SI.com
During the waning seconds of MLS Cup 2007, we were treated to a shot of losing New England Revolution owner Bob Kraft, frowning in dismay as he exited his owner's box. Wait, Bob Kraft, the same man responsible for Gilette Stadium and the resurgence of the Patriots also owns the Revs? Yes, he does, and this got us thinking about the five best owners in sports, the five people we'd love to have own our team.
1. Bob Kraft: Since buy the Patriots in 1994, Kraft has managed to build a state-of-the-art stadium and appear in more playoff games than in the team’s first 34 years combined. His Revolution are also the only team in MLS history to have had every game in franchise history televised (even if their color commenter needs some work).
2. Mark Cuban: Sure, he dances with stars and spars with Donald Trump, and he's never met a controversy he couldn’t talk his way out of, but as the owner of the Dallas Mavericks, Cuban has never let money stand in the way of anything, from travel arrangements to his player personnel. And I can't think of any fan who wouldn't ask for the same from their owner.
3. George Steinbrenner: I guess he's technically not running things day-to-day in New York any longer, but his Yankees are still the standard that other baseball teams will always be held against. And his hair-trigger decision-making makes him fun to observe even if you hate the Yanks.
4. Mario Lemieux: He's retired now, and his Penguins haven't exactly torn up the NHL, but you have to respect Lemieux's hustle, as he figured out a way to keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh and battled cancer to continue his amazing career.
5. Jerry Jones: He's an...interesting looking guy, but regardless, he's made the Cowboys a contender once again, even while he's co-starring in diet soda commercials.
Which other owners should've made The List? Let us know below...
Lang Whitaker is the executive editor of SLAM magazine and writes daily at slamonline.com.