We rank 'em. You react. That's how the Daily List rolls.
12/07/2007 04:29:00 PM
Athletes Who Should be Supermodels
These two Victoria Secret models think Serena Williams should quit tennis and become a model.
Photo courtesy of Virgin America
By Arash Markazi, SI.com Selita Ebanks has walked down runways all over the globe but she's never strutted her stuff down an airline aisle way. That was until last week when she and Miranda Kerr hosted a Victoria's Secret Supermodel Pajama Party on a Virgin America flight from New York to Los Angeles.
Over the course of the six-hour flight, Ebanks - a SI swimsuit model -- and Kerr, both dressed in comfy PJs, made in-flight announcements ("Who wants free drinks?"), turned the first class area into a dance floor (no seatbelts needed) and found time to chat with us about sports.
While Kerr loves watching Rugby, she thinks that she and the rest of the Victoria Secret's Angels could make a mark in the sports world if they wanted to. "I always wanted to be a famous gymnast and I used to be a gymnast when I was growing up so I could be a gymnast," she said. "I think Selita with those long legs she could possibly do the high jump, Karolina [Kurkova] I think she's would be good swimmer, she has those long arms and legs, I think that Heidi [Klum] would be a good runner with her energy and then Adriana [Lima] maybe she'd be good at the long jump with those long legs of hers. I'm sure she'd get a lot of coverage."
Meanwhile Ebanks, who can often be found courtside at Knicks games, thinks that it would probably be more likely to see athletes make the transition to the runway than the Angels competing in the Olympics. With that in mind she gives her top five athletes that could one day be supermodels.
1. Serena Williams - Well I would definitely put Serena at the top of this list because I think her body, which I've seen, is insane and that girl has some "Mmm, mmm, mmm." Actually our little thing is saying that you're the bomb.com and she's definitely the bomb.com. I guess that's the thing we share.
2. Tom Brady - I would say Brady because he's hot who doesn't want to see him topless. He's a winner on and off the field.
3. David Beckham – Who doesn't love Beckham? He's perfect hot.
4. Kelly Slater – He's so hot and he's best surfer in the world. I guess there's something about being hot and being really good at your sport.
5. Osi Umenyiora - His features remind me a little of Tyson Beckford. He has great features but I think he has to hit the gym a little bit before he hits the runway but I'm sure he has the confidence to pull any look off.
Honorable Mention: Nate Robinson – He's my favorite basketball player but I don't think he would have the confidence to pull it off but it would be hilarious. I love little Nate, he looks like a little 50 Cent. Whenever I go to the games I harass him so bad like, "Yo, little 25" or I'm like, "Get that little 50," because he plays with so much ambition. I love that. That's hot.
Did Selita miss any? What athletes do you see walking the runway one day?
Ohio State thought it was headed to the Rose Bowl, but Buckeyes will now play for national championhsip.
Gregory Shamus/Getty Images
By Lang Whitaker, SI.com
Yes, I am upset with the way the BCS played out, and yes, I went to the University of Georgia. These two things are completely related. It seems fitting to me that the BCS has the acronym that it does. Rules change week to week, undefeated teams never get a chance while other teams get multiple chances to lose in the top spot: This is college football. Here are my top five all-time BCS blunders…
1. 2008: LSU vs. Ohio St. -- Hey, it's a team that was ranked No.1 twice this season and lost both times, playing against a team who was ranked number 1 and also lost! Instead of teams that haven't had a chance to screw up while ranked at the top, let's reward these failures! At least the SEC will get to prove its dominance over the Big 10 yet again.
2. 2004: LSU, USC and Oklahoma -- All three schools finished with one loss, but USC ended up the odd school out. LSU beat Oklahoma, while USC beat Michigan in the Rose Bowl, causing a split in the various end of season polls.
3. 2005: Auburn -- Despite going undefeated in the powerful SEC, Auburn wasn't given a chance to play for the national title.
4. 2002: Nebraska -- The Huskers didn't win their Conference or Division, yet they were selected to go the championship game ahead of Colorado, who beat them weeks earlier. Miami crushed Nebraska, 32-14.
5. 1999 and 2000: Kansas St. -- Their schedule was allegedly weak both seasons, both Kansas St. finished 3rd and 6th, respectively, in the BCS rankings but were passed over by the big bowls both years in favor of bigger schools.
What's your (least) favorite BCS blunder? Let us know below…
Lang Whitaker is the executive editor of SLAM magazine and writes daily at SLAMonline.com