We rank 'em. You react. That's how the Daily List rolls.
3/28/2008 02:34:00 PM
Athletes' Worst (Visible) Tattoos
Jeremy Shockey went for a patriotic theme when he got inked.
By Lang Whitaker, SI.com
The latest trend in athlete tattooing seems to be the name-across-the-shoulders stamp, as seen here by Vince Young and DeShawn Stevenson.
It may not be a step up from the classic armband, but at least they aren't visible when the guys are in uniform. Here are my five worst visible tattoos in sports...
1. Jason Williams: Miami's point guard has "WHIT" tattooed across the knuckles on his right hand, and "EBOY" across his left. Social statement? Bad night out? Either way, quite a statement. Maybe a little obvious.
2. Joel Zumaya: The hardthrowing Tigers reliever has flames tattooed on his forearms. Which is exciting and all, except that they're not only on his throwing arm, but his non-throwing arm as well. But man can he move that glove fast!
3. Robert Swift: The perpetually injured Sonics center left high school as a quiet, promising big man. Since then he's changed up his look a little. Perhaps not for the better.
4. Jeremy Shockey: I'm not criticizing the content of Shockey's tattoo -- an enormous red, white and blue tribute to America -- but rather that said tattoo makes Shockey appear to be a huge fan of the Muppets.
This has been the expression on the faces of most Knicks fans during Isiah Thomas' tenure.
By Lang Whitaker, SI.com
Whether or not Donnie Walsh becomes the new general manager of the New York Knicks, pretty much every New Yorker agrees that the Isiah Thomas coach/GM era needs to come to an end. In his dual role, Thomas has run up one of the league's highest payrolls while simultaneously compiling a breathtaking 52-100 record as coach. Obviously, it's not working out. At the same time, Isiah's still going out there every night and giving it a shot, to the detriment of Knicks fans everywhere.
Here are our top five coaches who need to be relieved of their duties...
1. Isiah Thomas: I'd keep him only if he was in charge of college scouting and the NBA Draft. Otherwise, to paraphrase the lovely ladies of The Hills, Isiah should be dunzo.
2. Herm Edwards: If I had to hire someone to give me a speech and get me fired up before work every morning, Herm would be my guy. If I was hiring a football coach, Herm probably would not be my guy.
3. Ron Washington: Sure, he's only had one year in Texas, but he managed to start beef with Mark Teixeira and finish a dozen games under .500. And he got his contract extended for another year. Nice work if you can get it.
4. Mike Nolan: I like that he tries to wear suits and stuff, but he's 16-32 as an NFL head coach. That's not getting it done.
5. Bill Self: The Kansas coach has his team in the Sweet 16 yet again, and he's known for assembling amazingly talented rosters and piling up regular season wins. He's been to the NCAA Tournament nine consecutive years, but until he gets past the Elite 8, many fans will want the promise of something better.
Which coach would you like to see let go? Let us know below...
Lang Whitaker is the executive editor of SLAM magazine and writes daily at SLAMonline.com