Extra MustardSI On CampusFantasyPhoto GalleriesSwimsuitVideoFanNationSI KidsTNT
Back to Extra Mustard Jimmy's Blog Blog Homepage
Talk sports, pop culture and more with SI.com's Jimmy Traina.
2/28/2007 09:02:00 AM

Most Gruesome/Bizarre Injuries

They say things come in threes. That's certainly been the case with gruesome sports injuries the past week. Clippers point guard Shaun Livington tore four ligaments in his knee Monday. Wisconsin lost forward Brian Butch on Sunday for four to six weeks because of a dislocated elbow. And Chelsea captain John Terry was knocked unconscious Sunday after being kicked in the face during a match against Arsenal.

Fortunately -- or in many cases, unfortantely -- all of these cringe-worthy incidents can be found on good ol' YouTube (just click on the links above). With that, here are the 10 most gruesome/bizarre injuries found on YouTube. (Some famous injuries aren't on the list i.e. Tim Krumrie, because there isn't a YouTube clip.) Let me warn you: Most of these are nasty. They will make your stomach turn. So if you're eating a meal, be careful. And if there are any other clips of injuries that I missed, please send them along.

1. Redskins QB Joe Theismann suffers broken right leg: This is the granddaddy of gruesome sports injuries. Lawrence Taylor's reaction is unforgettable.

2. Alabama WR Tyrone Prothro suffers broken left leg: The interesting thing about this clip is that the cameraman actually shoots a close-up of Prothro's leg. One thing you'll notice in most of the following clips is that the announcers usually tell the cameramen to turn away.

3. Dodgers pitcher Kaz Ishii gets hit in face with line drive: This isn't as nasty as when Red Sox pitcher Bryce Florie got hit with a liner, but it will still make you cringe. Make sure you stay with the clip and watch the "demonstration" that takes place afterward.

4. Villanova guard Allen Ray gets his right eye poked out: This is just nasty. While it's on my list, I don't recommend watching it.

5. Sabres goalie Clint Malarchuk gets his neck cut by skate: This is probably the worst injury, but luckily you can't see it. There's a collision and then some blood. But that's more than enough. The announcers' reactions are a must-listen.

6. Mets outfielders Mike Cameron and Carlos Beltran viciously collide: The amazing thing about this play is that Beltran only missed a week of action. Cameron ended up with a broken jaw and broken nose.

7. Celtics guard Tony Allen suffers torn ACL: This get filed under the "bizarre" category. Allen attempted a dunk after play was whistled dead and then blew out his knee. He's out for the season.

8. Tennis player Mary Pierce ruptures her ACL: You can't really see how bad the damage is to Pierce's knee, but just listen to her scream.

9. Wrestler Sid Vicious suffers broken left leg: Wrestling may be fake, but this injury is not.

10. Miami running back Willis McGahee suffers broken left leg: Helmet on knee. Nothing more needs to be said. If you're not queasy after viewing these clips, let me know which one you think is the most gruesome. And let me know if I've left any out. One thing to remember, though: There has to be a YouTube clip of the injury.
posted by SI.com | View comments |

Comments:

Dude - how is Moises Alou snapping his leg in half on the basepaths not included in the top 10? The umpires reaction is priceless, not to mention Alou's leg flopping around as if independant from his body.
Posted: 10:41 AM, February 28, 2007   by Ross C
Napolean McCallum of the Raiders. Leg break...even Tim Brown can't look.
Dave Dravecky...there is a youtube clip of it...so strange to watch a pitcher's arm snap on a throw.
Posted: 10:44 AM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Robin Ventura twisting his foot around backwards sliding into home plate (March 21st 1997) would be on my list.
Posted: 10:47 AM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
This made my stomach turn: Napoleon McCallum getting his knee bent backwards and breaking his leg. I saw this on Monday Night Football when it happened and found the clip on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVchNFaUiVc
Posted: 10:48 AM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
How about Musa Smith of the Baltimore Ravens. Roy Williams broke his leg with his patented horsecollar tackle. It looked like the sock was the only thing keeping Smith's leg from flying into the seats. couldn't find video of it though.
I haven't been able to find it on YouTube yet, but Ed McCaffrey's broken leg in a MNF game in 2001 definitely made my stomach turn. Great catch, gnarley break.
Posted: 10:53 AM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
I can't remember the game or the player. I saw this footage of a college football player running back a kickoff up the sideline. Suddenly he jukes and he literally kicks himself in the back of his head while standing up. What happened was that his leg popped out of its hip socket and dangled in mid air. It was freaky.
Posted: 10:57 AM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Johnny Damon slamming in to Gabe Kapler in the outfield at Fenway was one of the most gruesome hits I've ever seen.
Posted: 11:06 AM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
How about the USC running back in the Husker game this year. The worst part is the announcers did not know what was really broken and the sideline reporter said that he told her that he felt fine, but had the look of shock in his eyes.
Jason Kendall snapping his ankle running to first base wasn't pretty either
Back in the 1988's Carl Lewis was qualifying for the long jump at he Olympic trials. His main US rival was up, he ran jumped and POW. It sounded as if he had been shot. He broke his leg in mid jump. Fortunately he landed in the sand pit which covered up his leg.
Posted: 11:11 AM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
I remember the Malarchuk injury in '89 being replayed on all the "highlight" reels that night although most of the local cameras were told to not film Malarchuk anymore so you didn't see too much of it. Thank God because of all the injuries I've seen, this was by far the worst only because he nearly bled to death right there on the ice. Most of the other injuries are gruesome but not life threatening. When asked why he got up and started skating off the ice he said because his mother was watching the game and he didn't want her to see him die.
Posted: 11:12 AM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
How about Jason Kendall breaking his ankle on the base when he was with the Pirates? He's never been the same since.
Posted: 11:13 AM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
What about Bryant Young of the 49ers back in the day? When Ken Norton Jr. landed his helmet right on his chin and snap! His sock was the only thing keeping his bone from being exposed. I almost passed out when i saw that one. Napolean's too.
Posted: 11:13 AM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Jason Kendall running down the first baseline and stepping on the bag wrong. You can see his ankle joint comming out through his sock!
Posted: 11:15 AM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
i think the mcgahee injury is much harder to watch than theissman. it looks like his leg is spun around a full 360 degrees, like some gruesome cartoon injury. and it was the national championship game no less. that adds a bit more emotional pain i suppose. im sure he wasnt thinking about that at the time though. he was probably only thinking "ahhhhh".
How about when Jason Kendall was on the Pirates, running down to first base and when he hits the bag, his ankle snaps and you can see the bone trying to poke through his sock.
I'm sorry, you must not know about the Napoleon McCallum one. By far the worst, way worse than Theisman. Look it up and redo your top ten.
I'm sorry, but you must not have known about the Napoleon McCallum injury. By far the worst, way worse than Theisman. Look it up and consider redoing the top ten and including this one. (or make it like the Big Ten and actually have eleven).
Posted: 11:19 AM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
I really don't know how this isn't in the top 5. It's the USC running back who broke his leg in a game earlier this year. Worst part is that after the injury you can actually see his foot pointing the wrong way. Looks painful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDxwgzmKhJo
Posted: 11:21 AM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous

this clip has a number of them, including alou, dravecky, and that horrible javelin accident where the field judge is impaled. the music is a bit ugly, so just mute it if you have to.
The Sid clip reminded me of HHH tearing one of his quads off his knee. Fantastic clip!
Posted: 11:30 AM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Don't forget Tim Krumrie of the Bengals! I still can picture his lower leg whipping about like a rubber band. I believe it happened in the Super Bowl vs. the 49ers.
Posted: 11:33 AM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
I remember seeing a photograph of Y.A. Tittle's knee injury back when he was QB'ing for the Giants in the 60s. I have never seen a knee bend like that. The image has stayed with me for over 40 years.
Posted: 11:39 AM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Malarchuk's has to be the worst, they were giving him last rites for god sake as they were carting him from the ice.
Posted: 11:44 AM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
freddie mitchell when he was with ucla returning a kick. as another poster mentioned, his leg snapped and his foot actually hit him in the head.
Comment 2 is right, I remember watching that game on MNF, when I was in about 6th or 7th grade and thinking "doesn't look that bad" then they showed the 2nd replay then I nearly hurled. It was so bad they thought Neil Smith and Derrick Thomas were hurt too, because they didn't want to move underneath McCallum, TRUELY GROSS.
Posted: 11:47 AM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
A few years back when Jermaine Dye was still on the A's, he was up to bat and fouled a pitch off the bottom of his bat, striking his extended left leg and instantly breaking his shin bone (forgive my anatomical ignorance) in half. Vivid memory of this, as they showed it in slow-motion instant replay. File this under "bizarre".
Posted: 11:50 AM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Jason Kendall's ankle basically exploding in spring training has to be up there.
How about Jason Kendall's horribly broken ankle a few years ago as he was running to first base after hitting the ball. Nasty!
A friend recently sent me a clip of an MMA fight (not UFC though) where one guy does a leg kick on his opponent. They hit shin-to-shin and the kickers leg just snaps and wraps around his opponents leg. As he recoils, not yet realizing that his leg is in two, he tries to step back on the broken leg and it just collapses under him. I don't have the clip but it's obviously out there and is absolutley the most horrific injury I've seen.
Posted: 11:54 AM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
No votes for Jason Kendall shattering his ankle after stepping awkwardly on first base?
I now work in NYC live just outside it, so I was visiting my parents in suburban Philly, watching the Villanova game when Allen Ray's eye was poked. My dad and I were just shocked at how bad it was, as at real speed (even in high definition) it was difficult to tell. When we saw the replay, we just shook our heads and thought he'd have sight problems. When he was cleared to play soon after, we were just amazed.
how about that giants pitcher back in the early 90's that had a tumor removed from his arm, and then went back to pitch and his arm snapped in mid pitch. extremely gross.

but, i agree, the napolean mccallum is BY FAR the worst ive ever seen, and I believe it was his femur he broke
Posted: 12:05 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
One word: Barbaro

Posted: 12:07 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
I think someone already mentioned it. Kickboxer snaps his tibia and fibia in half. Really nasty stuff although for my money, the Beltran-Cameron collision looked like it was the most dangerous of all the injuries listed.
Posted: 12:17 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Most recently would have to be Figure Skater Jessica Dube getting cut across the face by her partner's skate.

Posted: 12:20 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
How can you forget the stick to the eye Bryan Berard took? Or Garrison Hearst's ankle? Those were nasty.
Posted: 12:26 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Malarchuk's is the worst of all these scary injuries. There wasn't just a little blood. There was a pool the size of his torso on the ice just five seconds after the cut. Plus, the skate cut his jugular so with every heartbeat there was another pool. He was on the ice a week later so maybe that cools the creepiness.
Posted: 12:29 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
I remember as a kid seeing a defencemen fo the Flyers (can't remember his name) take a slapshot in the eye. Blood all over. It ended his career. More than 20 years later, I saw Brian Berrard take a stick in the eye on a shot foloow-through, which was equally gruesome.
Posted: 12:31 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Geoff Jenkins (Brewers) dislocated his ankle when trying to stretch out a triple. He slid into third base, his foot got caught up in the base, but the rest of his body went forward. OUCH!
What about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yde3fqRw6Q&NR

Alex Zanardi lost both of his legs, but made a comeback this year in a specially modified car.

The most impressive thing about Malarchuk? He came back for the playoffs two months later. Now that's a hockey player. Also, Chris Pronger's heart skipping a beat after being hit in the chest with a slapshot, Bryan Berard's lens being sliced out by a high stick, and the Montreal Canadien (his name escapes me) who was hit in the throat by a slapshot and had to have an emergency tracheotomy are pretty nasty hockey injuries. The Canadien was the only one not to make a comeback.
Posted: 12:38 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Here's a couple.
Kickboxer breaks leg and stands on it.

The Raiders Napoleon McCallum disclocates knee/breaks leg and it bends completely backwards.
Posted: 12:51 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
I don't remember the player anymore, but it was at the Vet, the receiver went up to catch the ball and both feet stayed planted in the turf. destroyed both ankles if I remember correctly.
Posted: 12:54 PM, February 28, 2007   by Unclefester
Sam Bowie's fade away jumper when his leg snapped and having him keeping his leg off the ground with it dangling.
I couldn't find a clip of it, but Rex Chapman landed on someone's foot and dislocated his ankle while playing for the Washington Bullets. It stayed locked into place, the instep almost touching his leg as they carried him off the court.
Posted: 1:12 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
who was the women's basketball player from uconn who had torn her ACL? she came back and immediately wrecked her entire knee again. she was running down the court on a fast break, jumped to catch a baseball-style pass, and her leg buckled a la livingston as she came down
Posted: 1:14 PM, February 28, 2007   by BruceFan
Hideki Matsui's arm and glove twisting around backwards was a little bit ugly.
Posted: 1:15 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
how about gabe kapler rounding 2nd base and snapping his leg a couple year back i think against the d-rays?
Posted: 1:15 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
How about Robin Ventura sliding into home plate and breaking his leg and ankle. I just remember his foot pointing the opposite direction from the way it was supposed to go.
Couple more hockey ones

Alex Mogilny snapping his leg

Trent McCleary getting his larynx fractured.
Posted: 1:29 PM, February 28, 2007   by Double B
You omitted Dave Dravecky and Tom Browning who suffered broken arms while pitching. Dravecky's underlying problem led to his arm ultimately being amputated.
Posted: 1:30 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Having went through a very similar injury to the one Shaun Livingston is going through, I can't even read these posts without feeling pain. It took well over a year to be fully recovered. I can't even imagine watching any of the clips. I saw the Jason Kendall injury live and up close, I was in the second row behind the dugout when it happened.
Posted: 1:33 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
You forgot Fernando Tatis breaking his thigh bone running to first base. It's especially gruesome when seen in slo-mo, the face first slide with his leg flopping around.
Posted: 1:35 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Ed McCaffrey breaking his leg and still catching the ball.

Cmon his leg bent so bad he kicked himself in the knee.
One of the posts refers to a kick returner and his foot almost coming over his head. This was a kick returner for UCLA, but I don't know the year or player's name. Maybe not the most gruesome, but probably the freakiest thing you would not want to see.

I would say Kendall's might be the worst. His ankle looked like it almost fell off.
Posted: 2:03 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Napoleon McCallum has to be #1. His knee bent the wrong way!
How about Brian Poli-Dixon (UCLA WR) breaking his leg at UTEP. His leg basically snapped back and hit himself in the head. Hard to watch, not just because Im a Bruin fan.
Posted: 2:23 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
what about tony saunders who broke his arm while throwing a pitch while he was on the devil rays. if that isnt bizzare i dont know what is
Posted: 2:25 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
This one's obscure, but check out this pic of a Montana Grizzly receiver breaking his arm: http://www.joynerart.com/temp/ferriter.jpg
Posted: 2:27 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Malarchuk was by far the worst! Kendall was nasty too but bleeding half to death scores extra points.
Posted: 2:31 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
It was Wendell Davis of the Bears who tore ACL's in both knees on that horrible turf at the vet. Pretty sure he never played another down.
Krumrie and Kendall's injury top my list on the "cringe" factor. Honorable mention: In NCAA hoops Kansas center Wayne Simeon returned for post-season play from a serious groin injury. In the first few minutes of the game, he hit a wet spot on the floor while trying to set a pick and literally did the "splits". The pain in his face still gives me the chills.
For anyone that "liked" the Sid Vicious clip:

wrestlinggonewrong.com
Posted: 3:02 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
I saw a Pittsburg rookie running back get horse collared and his knee and ankle were damaged so bad his foot pointed the wrong way. Every time I see a horsecollar tackle now I cringe after seeing that.
DEMOND GREENE....VERY VERY BAD INJURY ON YOUTUBE. EURO BASKETBALL.
Posted: 3:06 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous

The defender tackled him from behind and somehow caused the tibia/fibia to break. All I remember as a kid was watching the lower half of his leg swing out in front of him as he took his next step and.......wait for it......and basically stepped on his dangling leg.
Since you are also including "Bizzare Injuries," the Tyson / Holyfield eat biting incident should be up there.
I can't believe no one remembers the Kentucky vs. Florida game where a Kentucky wide receiver broke his arm at the elbow and flopped around like a helicopter. The MOST freakish injury in football I've ever seen!!!
mcgahee's should definately be higher
Posted: 3:17 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Tony C of the Sox.
Ray Chapman in baseball - he died!
Someone earlier mentioned Rex Chapman's injury - that was awful looking.
Alex Zanardi (sp?) - lost his legs.
Swede Savage at Indy.
too many . . .
Posted: 3:19 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
I have a vague recollection of a Bengal D lineman breaking a leg in the playoffs or superbowl. I think it was Krumrie. And his leg spun around like a windmill. Very gross.
Posted: 3:25 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Gayle Sayers injury was painful to watch and rates right up there in my book...
Posted: 3:32 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
This happened years ago during a game - one video on youtube but doesnt show it properly. its been shown elsewhere but its David Busst of Coventry getting his lower leg snapped in half under a challenge. the worst thing in the linked pic is that you can see drops of blood flying out.

Posted: 3:32 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Napoleon McCallum's injury still lingers in the shadow of Thiesmann's simply because we are not subjected to his mouth six months a year. Most gruesome injury in history. Not only did he break his femur, he ruptured the femoral artery and nearly bled to death internally.

Also, in 1995, the Mariner Moose breaking his ankle stands as the funniest injury ever!
Posted: 3:34 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
I would definetly have to agree with the ones who say napoleon mccallum had the worst one

Posted: 3:41 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
That's a pic of the Jason Kendall injury. Doesn't do it justice though if you ask me. BTW... Malarchuk's neck getting sliced was by far the worst!!!
Posted: 3:44 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
The Atlanta player was a DB, tackled by Jim Kelly if I recall...
"There was an Atlanta Falcons player about 10 years ago (searching frantically to try and recall the player) who broke away down the sideline and had his leg snapped much like Joe's."
Posted: 3:45 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Napolean McCallum getting his leg folded the wrong way is, without a doubt, the worst injury i have ever seen in all of sports. The doctors debated whether or not to amputate his leg.
Posted: 3:54 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Malarchuk is by far the worst one
2 kickboxers.....
Posted: 4:17 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
How can the Brian Propp hit get missed in this one? Top 10 easy -

Posted: 4:33 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
How about Wayne Shelford having his scrotum torn open by a cleat during a rugby match between New Zealand and France. He had it stitched up and returned to the match!
Posted: 5:02 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Ed McCaffrey's injury was on September 10, 2001 -- which may explain why people don't remember it as much.

I'll also add Redskins Punter/Holder Bryan Barker who had his nose horribly broken after a blocked field goal against Dallas on Thanksgiving day. I can't find video of it, but there's a horrible picture of his "pig nose".
Posted: 5:12 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
RB Musa Smith of the Baltimore Raven's. Leg break was gruesome.
Posted: 5:16 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
How can you guys forget Larry Bird smacking his head across the floor during the 91 NBA playoffs? It truly is a wonder he didn't crack his skull WIDE open. Disgusting stuff
Posted: 5:20 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Did anyone mention the San Jose St or was it SD St kid who blew out his leg returning the punt or kickoff a few years ago and ended up getting 2/3 of that leg amputated? Barbaro was bad. I remember the Rex Chapman injury, also disturbing. Someone already mentioned the poor Bears WR who popped both ACL's when his cleats got stuck in the bad turf at the Vet. How about Kentucky TE Jason Whalen - was it the bowl game his jr year? - gets horse-collar tackled on the sideline and dislocates one of his elbows badly. I don't have the youtube clip, but I'll never forget his screams because the ref was standing right there with his mike on. Also the first time I ever saw the team doctors give an injection on TV. They hit that kid with about 30 cc's of morphine, and he was still moaning. Just awful...
Posted: 5:25 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
How can you say that Bryce Florie's injury was worse than Ishii's, and then have Ishii be on the list and not Florie!!! Flories eyeball almost came out right on the mound. Direct hit to the upper cheek bone. Nastiest thing you'll ever see. And so much more dangerous than a stupid leg.
Posted: 5:39 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Nathan Brown, Australian Rules Footballer.....

Posted: 5:46 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
hands down the worst sports injury ever was Napolean McCallum of the Raiders against the Niners in 94. Completely bent his knee the wrong way, nearly ruptured his femoral artery and almost lost his leg. and despite the title of the clip - this was not a leg break.
Posted: 5:51 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
The Falcons defender if I remember correctly was CB Anthony Phillips
Posted: 5:51 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Voila!
the krumrie video...and add mccallum to the list mr. marginal sports writer.

Posted: 5:59 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
UGH - not a top 10, but a stomach turner. Henrik Larsson leg break whilst challenging for a ball with Celtic FC
Posted: 6:24 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Junior Seau breaking his arm this season was pretty gruesome. It just didn't look right. It was great how the announcers wouldn't speculate about what happened, although anybody that can see could see that his arm was broken.
What about Djibril Cisse of Liverpool having his tibia AND fibula broken in half by getting tangled up with a Blackburn defender. It looked like he suddenly had two knees on the same leg. If the leg wasn't reset immediately after, he would've lost it.
I'm always reminded when I see these lists of Marc Bureau's cheap shot on Petr Svoboda, which resulted in Svoboda hitting his head on the ice, bleeding profusely.

Posted: 7:10 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
you have to have a clip of a soccer dude having his leg snapped in half off a slide tackle, classic.
Posted: 7:56 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
This should be in the top 5: Michigan State football player Tyrell Dortch shattering his leg in multiple places during a game against Wisconsin. It's etched in the memory due to close-up and slo-mo camera replays, plus watching his teammate laying on top of him trying to calm him and hold him down while they awaited help.

This was even worse than Tyrone Protho's injury in my book.
Posted: 8:03 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
The aforementioned long jumper is Llewellyn Starks. His injury occurred in 1992, not "in the 1988's" No video, but here's a photo.
Posted: 8:57 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
I agree with the Ed Mccaffery catch. Also, there was a Michigan State football player that broke his leg in a game against Wisconsin in maybe 2002. Completely disgusting.
Posted: 9:02 PM, February 28, 2007   by Brian Hayes
By far the worst injury that I ever witnessed was a wide receiver for the Chicago Bears, Wendell Davis, attempting to catch a pass in old Veterans Stadium against the Philadelphia Eagles. As he leapt to make the catch, both of his legs got caught in the turf and he tore major ligaments in both knees. He went down like he had been shot.
Johnny Damon running into Damien Jackson in the playoffs against the A's (though wasn't as bad as Beltran/Cameron)

Geoff Jenkins dislocating his ankle sliding hard into third. It is different seeing the bend upward from the ground. It was nasty. (though not as bad as kendall's)

Shawn Marion landed on his head once jumping over John Starks. I thought he'd broken his neck.

None of mine really compare.
Posted: 9:45 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
The monday night football game where ed mccaffrey got hit, his leg twisted and broke, and still hung onto the ball was simply amazing.

only ed mccaffrey coulda hung onto that ball.
Posted: 9:52 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
How about when Tyrell Dortch of Michigan State broke his leg defending a pass against Wisconsin.
Posted: 10:02 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Henrik Larssen got his leg snapped in two places in a soccer game, I saw it in slow mo, and nearly threw up.
Posted: 10:24 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
How about when Mike Mussina got hit inthe face by a batted ball when he was an Oriole. I was at that game and you could instantly see the blood gushing from his face.
Posted: 10:25 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
The soccer fans can probably fill in the specific details but I've seen a picture of an EPL match where a bunch of players went up for a high ball and one player's foot came down right through another's player lower leg and just snapped it in half. Anyone know the actual details?
No boxing injuries? How about the huge swelling over Hasim Rahman's eye in his fight with Evander Holeyfield. Here's a link http://espn.go.com/boxing/news/2002/0601/1389665.html
dude, that goalie one? WOW. i was completely unprepared for that. i had never seen that before, that was the grossest one to me.
Posted: 10:52 PM, February 28, 2007   by Anonymous
Nathan Brown - AFL

Djibril Cisse

Posted: 12:20 AM, April 28, 2007   by Anonymous
I guess you have to define worst injury. 1) Closest to death - Clint Melarchuk - 2) Grossest - a matter of personal distaste - for me, anytime a bone pierces the skin, I'm quivering - 3) Blood - I can't find anything on it, maybe someone else can dig something up, but before Melarchuk, Bjorge Salming had his whole face run over from chin to forehead with a skate, 200+ stitches later and he looked like Frankenstein.
I'm not sure the names of the people, but recently in figure skating someone got slashed accross the face just under the eye. http://youtube.com/watch?v=dXQp59eGo7k <-- theres a short video of it. You don't seem much in the video though.
Got something to say?

Jimmy wants to hear from you. If there's a story you think he might find interesting or if there's a topic you want him to cover, let him know about it. If you just have a question or comment for him, send it along, too. You can email him here.

(One note on the blogger comments: The only rule is to keep it clean. No curse words or curse words disguised with dashes)