Talk sports, pop culture and more with SI.com's Jimmy Traina.
2/18/2007 09:07:00 PM
Swimsuit '08 Suggestions
Photo by John Shearer/WireImage.com
Sports Illustrated's annual Swimsuit Issue has been out for a few days now, so it's time to do what sports fans always do -- look ahead and discuss the future. I'm here to give the magazine some help for 2008. The editors made a buzz-worthy cover choice this year in Beyonce. If they want to go the celebrity route again, I have 10 recommendations, and a bonus choice, for next year's cover. It's an eclectic group, and each woman has an audience she appeals to. As always, send me your suggestions after reading my list.
1. Salma Hayek: Personally, this would be my No. 1 choice. If you need to see why, just go to YouTube and search "Salma Hayek on Ugly Betty" and you'll see why. I'd include the link, but it's probably not safe for work.
2. Jessica Biel: She's currently a Hollywood "It" girl, and she recently caused a stir by dating Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter, and pictures of the two of them enjoying some fun and sun on the beach quickly spread all over the Web, and with good reason: Biel in a bikini is a sight to be seen.
3. Stacy Keibler: This former Dancing with the Stars contestant and WWE wrestler got her start as a Baltimore Ravens cheerleader. The theme of this year's Swimsuit Issue was music. How about a cheerleading theme next year, with Keibler on the cover? You couldn't go wrong featuring her legs. While on Dancing with Stars, one of the judges referred to her as a "weapon of mass seduction" thanks in part to her never-ending gams. The 5-foot-11 beauty has said her legs are 42 inches from hip to ankle.
4. Minka Kelly: My fondness for the Friday Night Lights star already has been chronicled in this space. While many people might not know who Kelly is since the show unfortunately has received low ratings, putting her on the cover could give the Lights the boost it needs if it's around for a second season. Plus, she'd be a natural fit for a cheerleading-themed issue.
5. Alyssa Milano: This was the first celebrity crush for most of the guys who grew up in the '80s, so she'd add a sense of nostalgia to the cover. And athletes would be interested in seeing her on the cover since it seems like Milano has dated about half of them.
6. Jennifer Lopez: She has one of the most famous body parts in the world, so this would be the easiest cover in the world to shoot. Get her in a thong bikini, have her stand with her back to the camera, face turned around toward it. Snap the picture and put it on the cover.
7. Mallory Snyder: This is a sentimental choice for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, she was in SI's Swimsuit Issue in 2005 and 2006 and was smokin'. Second, the former Real World castmember is probably the only sane female to ever appear on that show.
8. Erin Andrews: If SI wanted to pick a covergirl who has a connection to sports, who better than the one sideline reporter who fans don't mind seeing on camera? The ESPN broadcaster continues to build a following, as evidenced by this YouTube appreciation.
9. Shakira: This could be a stretch because to fully appreciate Shakira, you have to see her move, especially those hips. But after watching her performance at last week's Grammys, we say she'd be more than worthy for SI's cover.
10. Giada de Laurentiis: The Food Network chef not only has beauty, but she can cook, too! What man wouldn't appreciate that combination? She looks damn good in a bikini, too.
Bonus pick: Britney Spears: Before you write in to tell me I'm crazy, hear me out. I don't want this skinhead version of Britney on the cover. But if she can clean up her act, get some help and get her career going again, the SI cover would be a nice way to cap a comeback. But she needs to get back to the Britney who wore that snake around her neck at the MTV Music Awards or the Britney who kissed Madonna.
I like the whole sports theme: go with Stacy Keibler and Erin Andrews. Maybe I have athing for blondes, but these 2 are absolutely gorgeous. Give either one the cover but make sure both are included in the spread.
Why the marketing tricks? Lets just go back to having the model with the best picture being on the cover. While Beyonce is gorgeous, Marisa Miller owned this issue. Its amazing that she has never had the cover over the last few years...
How about Christina Aguilera? Just check out this months Maxim cover with her pics inside. Probly one of Maxims best covers & Im sure she would look just fine in a two piece next year on the cover of SI.
I think you all are making some great suggestions. Here are my pics for some fresh faces instead of the same old hotties year after year. Keeley Hazel; Leeann Tweedan; Bonnie-Jill Laflin; Karolina Kurkova; Penelope Cruz; Oluchi Onweagba. I am sure I can come with some more but these were off the top of my head.
All very interesting choices!!! But there are so many more, 4 example:
Kate Winslet Uma Thurman Maturity is SEXY Hilary Swank Million Dollars Baby Zoe Saldana A little flavor Lindsay Lohan Anne Heterway Julia Pistor Jennifer Conelly Erin Tiger's wife Avril Lavigne HOT Jade Pinkett Smith Nicolette Sheridan Maria Menounos Charlize Theron Paula Abdul Fergie Black Eye Peas She's AWESOME Vivica A. Fox Oh My GOD
Last But Not Least
MARIAH CAREY KAPOW BOOM BANG
Ok got to go now. Just a few of the forgotten but are worthy of a vote on the cover.
How can you pass up FERGIE!!! She has got the bod, the beauty, and the attitude to bring it all together on the cover. Also, a lady most don't probably know but is smoking hot with an incredible body....Padma Lakshmi from Top Chef on BravoTV. She's brilliant AND sexy...check her out!!!
I'd go with Erin Andrews. She is beautiful and she is in the sports world. People who subsribe to SI like sports and what better person to be on the 2008 cover than a popular sideline reporter. Another suggestion not on your list should be Rachel McAdams. Us guys would love it, for she is astonishing and co-stars in the best guy movie you've ever seen, Wedding Crashers.
Jimmy, You were doing great until the Britney Shake-a-spear comment. Undoubtedly the most over-rated celeb in the 2000s. She's not really pretty at all. Oh yeah, leave other mothers out of your list too, no matter how good the junk in the truck is, LOL.
You have my vote for Salma Hayek absolutely. She is da "BOMB". If only I was 25 again. But I also like Alyssa Milano. She kinda got gross for a while in the later years of charmed, but clean her up and she almost reaches Salma. BRITNEY? are you nuts. I wouldn't waste a second on her. She's just another loopy nit wit who doesn't know what to do with herself after making a few Million. She begs for attention like a 2 year old with a younger sibling. Yuck!
I actually think this list is pretty well put together. Alyssa Milano is definitely up there on my board as well as Stacey Keibler. I also LOVE Erin Andrews! Whenever I'm not watching a game and I hear her voice I run to the television just to get a glimpse of her. She's perfect. Of course though, in keeping with the topic at hand I wouldnt mind seeing Michelle Wie in a year or two. I'm only like a year older than she is so I can say that. I would also put Jennie Finch and Cat Osterman up there. Both are softball chicks with great bodies and gorgeous smiles.
There's only one choice for the 2008 SI Swimsuit Issue Cover....Marisa Miller. All the other women are very nice but she's the best looking regular SI model year in and year out. Her consistency needs to be rewarded.
I'd like Jessica Biel and Emanuelle Chiquiri and of course Erin Andrews! But, how bout bringing back Josie Maran? I like the thought of Jenn Sterger as well. What we really need is Marisa Miller with her iPod!!!
Alyssa Milano.... definitely yes... very good taste. I would also say I'd like to see Catherine Zeta-Jones in it too. That would make a great day... I know Britney is going down the tubes fast- but she is pretty hot- I'd sub her with someone like Jessica Alba or Francine Dee... she is hot.
Jimmy wants to hear from you. If there's a story you think he might find interesting or if there's a topic you want him to cover, let him know about it. If you just have a question or comment for him, send it along, too. You can email him here.
(One note on the blogger comments: The only rule is to keep it clean. No curse words or curse words disguised with dashes)